Wrench Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrench Question

One of the procedural steps in the Big Brake installation requires a 13mm flare wrench (got it) and a 17mm line wrench. It lists them that way on the required tools and names them that way in the procedural step.

What's the difference between a flare wrench and a line wrench and why can't I find a 17mm "line" wrench anywhere to save me?
    Last edited by pdub; December 30, 2012, 02:33 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

It's probably a flare wrench. For a flared line.

If we saw what it was you were supposed to tighten with it, that would help.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Squirrel has this covered. Basically it is a boxed end wrench with a section cut out of it for the brake line to slip thru. I have in fact made my own with a spare boxed end wrench of the size I needed .
      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

It's when you're putting things back together. The hard brake line meets the braided stainless line from the brake kit at a mounted line locator.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wrenches.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	865998

Comment

A crescent wrench will probably be a good replacement for the 17mm "line" wrench if the fitting is a regular 6-sided piece.
          If that all fails, there are always visegrips to murder your brakelines with!
          www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

line wrench is a broken boxed end.

vise grips. they are the greatest line wrench in the world...
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

flared / line wrench

Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

and if all else fails..............use a Hammer! lol
                Racing Solves Everything

Comment

Okay, I've already got the 13mm flared wrench. Why do they call the 17mm a "line" wrench? Not once, but twice. Is it the same thing after all?

Comment

the "line wrench" in your picture can be an open end wrench - it's steel that is being held still/backed up by the "line wrench". The Flare wrench is to keep you from jacking up the soft ends on the brake line.

Boxer has the right of it for old crudded up brake lines - sadly. I've rounded off more brake lines with a flare wrench than I care to remember, any more I reach for the vise grips to break them loose... they seem to do less damage. I'll bump it once and if it starts to round the fitting or flex the wrench, I'll get the vice grips out.

edit - new stuff like yours probably won't require the brute force attack that some of my old (or obviously Barry's) junk does.
                    Last edited by Beagle; December 30, 2012, 04:02 PM.
                    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

People who write directions sometime use different terms and sometimes more than one person does the writing. Continuity can go by the wayside. I've seen "adjustable wrench" when we all know it as a Crescent wrench (A facial tissue vs. Kleenex thing). You'll hear a pipe wrench referred to as a "monkey wrench" - which is flat wrong! So ya, a line wrench and a flare wrench is the same deal.

And Beags and Boxer are right - with rusty stuff a pair of Vice Grips are about the least objectionable option. Red should be fine with the specified tools.

Dan
                      Last edited by DanStokes; December 30, 2012, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Okay, thanks guys!

Dan that stuff drives me crazy. The first thing they taught us on the first day in Technical Writing 101 was to always use the same term for the same thing, whatever term that is. That, and always define an acronym before you use it (not related to this adventure).

So, I always take terms literally because I by practice USE them literally. I had the wrench(es) in my hand this afternoon, and I just went back and bought the set. Right there on the tag on the shelf: "Metric Line Wrench Set." And right there on the package under that tag, "Flared Nut Wrench Set."

Arrrrrgh.

So now I've got two 13's. Whatever. Mystery solved.

Thanks again guys!

Comment

nobody on this side of the pond calls it an "Adjustable spanner"
                          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

when it comes to line/flare wrench.snap-on is the only ones worth a damn..macs,matco and craftsman flex when pulled on..

Comment

Or a fixed spanner (shortened to just "spanner"). Love watching Weelah Dealah.

One of my faves is the Japanese designation for screwdrivers - "+" and "-". Makes perfect sense when you think about it.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X