Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So Whatever Happened to the Square vs. Round Exhaust Test??......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Whatever Happened to the Square vs. Round Exhaust Test??......

I thought Chad was doing some sort of article on this whatever happened to it??

something eliptical happened.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

:rofl:
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	hellokittyexhaust_01.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	866060
          2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
          First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
          2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
          2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

in all seriousness for a minute.. it's already known how to properly size intake and exhaust pipes when deviating from the standard "round" shape. There are posts on speedtalk going over this and I know when we looked at CSA for the intakes on the Early Hemi for Engine Masters Nick was able to figure out the dimensions we needed. So I am not sure that this test should be on top of Chad's list considering the other stuff he can find out that we don't already know.
            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Comment

Like Scott said, there is a ton of info out there actually. BUT... I am still planning to do a square exhaust system test when we do exhaust testing which will hopefully be this spring.

I've been working on a ton of engine stuff over the last few weeks in order to get engines ready for testing. I have stuff at the machine shop now and am waiting on some parts and then we'll have lots of engine tests to do. Once we know exactly what engines will be done and when I'll put up a topic for you guys to chime in with what tests you would like to see done on each engine and if we can we'll add some of those to our testing plans.
                "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

There really isn't any way to make a square tube flow better than a circular one. To flow the same, the area of the square design ends up being larger than the round design.

Turbulent flow, as you have in an exhaust system, tends to form itself into a "tubular" shape as it travels through any duct, leaving the corners alone. As a result, the square design will be heavier, more expensive, harder to forma and work with and (IMHO) just plain ugly.

To get better flow through a square duct versus a round tube, you'd have to use a square tube larger than the diameter of a circular tube.

Save the time and spend the money that would be wasted on testing it more wisely.

Laminar flow is a different story - but you won't get that with exhaust flow.

Comment

I think the whole subject was done-to-death, beyond interesting, here: http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...d-exhaust-pipe

Intuition tells you that if you want to store air, use square...if you want to move air, use round. Intuition is correct, end of story.

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
                      I think the whole subject was done-to-death, beyond interesting, here: http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...d-exhaust-pipe

Intuition tells you that if you want to store air, use square...if you want to move air, use round. Intuition is correct, end of story.
                      Nuh unh. If I want to store it, I want a cube (okay, a cylinder maybe and I'm partial to spheres). A square, by nature of being 2d , ain't gonna store much of anything. haha. j/k, carry on.
                      Last edited by Beagle; January 2, 2013, 02:55 PM.
                      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by BangShiftChad View Post
                        Like Scott said, there is a ton of info out there actually. BUT... I am still planning to do a square exhaust system test when we do exhaust testing which will hopefully be this spring.

I've been working on a ton of engine stuff over the last few weeks in order to get engines ready for testing. I have stuff at the machine shop now and am waiting on some parts and then we'll have lots of engine tests to do. Once we know exactly what engines will be done and when I'll put up a topic for you guys to chime in with what tests you would like to see done on each engine and if we can we'll add some of those to our testing plans.
                        Thanks for the update Chad!!!.....

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                          Nuh unh. If I want to store it, I want a cube (okay, a cylinder maybe and I'm partial to spheres). A square, by nature of being 2d , ain't gonna store much of anything. haha. j/k, carry on.
                          Square corners, I mean.

Doesn't need to be cube, rectangle also good.

If pressurising, then you gotta get back into rounds again for mechanical reasons but that's another thing.

Comment

Working...
                          X