X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huskinhano
    replied
    Originally posted by milner351 View Post
    Take a class - one of the best things I've ever learned how to do - not sure how I got along working on cars for so long without it.
    Loren is surely all the teacher you'll need - but if you're really into it - a class may be a good thing.

Some of the best student teacher weldors in my class were women - and they were very very very good weldors, especially for TIG which requires fine motor skills.

One of my friends in PA who's sons work in the gas rigs ws telling me he was watching a woman who was welding pipe line. He said she was like a robot laying down beautiful welds.

Talk about fixing an earring for your wife, one of the odd ball things I did once was to fix a circulating heat pump at the shop where I worked. The motor wouldn't start, it just hummed. The contact on the start winding switch in the motor burned off. I cut the head off a brass screw and brazed it on where the missing contact was. Ran for many years, could still be there for all I know.
    Last edited by Huskinhano; January 3, 2013, 01:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• LORENSWIFE
    replied
    Originally posted by Loren View Post
    ... A hot summer evening, shirtless and shoeless (hey I was like 20 y.o.) and covered in perspiration,

Wow! More welding stories honey!
    Last edited by LORENSWIFE; January 3, 2013, 01:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Loren
    replied
    Dad had a stick welder I sorta figured out as a kid, and then he would go so far as to bring home an oxy-acet outfit from his work some weekends and I'd try to do oil pans or exhaust stuff with that. Believe me, I sucked to start with.

Did you know you can get an electric shock while gas welding? I did it... A hot summer evening, shirtless and shoeless (hey I was like 20 y.o.) and covered in perspiration, I was doing some gas welding in the car port and a bug or something bit me in the upper back. I couldn't reach the spot so I took the welding rod I was using to try to get it, and BLAMMO, something shocked the crap out of me...like grabbing a spark plug wire. For the life of me I wasn't able to figure that one out. How do you get electrocuted with a gas torch rig?

Eventually I realized that when I reached up with the steel welding rod, I inadvertantly stuffed it into the end of the flourescant light fixture over my head, right where the tube contacts go into the receptacle. Barefoot and sweaty, I really got a whallop from that one.

Anyhow I've been super-fortunate to have worked around some of the most excellent welders that could be, starting with a guy named Bob Boon when I was in my early-twenties. The guy could weld .015 steel sheet parts to .005" tolerances and do it consistant a thousand times...and was always ready with a helpful comment if it seemed like you needed one.

If she chooses to persue it, Gail's gonna have to start with the gas torch like I did. I really think it works better with your normal human intuition, like where you need to keep your Hot-Equals-Ouchie thing straight.

Once you can gas weld, TIG is a snap.

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
    Fusing metal with electricity = WINNING
    The power of Gods!

Leave a comment:

• Barry Donovan
    replied
    Originally posted by brandontinley View Post
    Welding is fun and a very undervalued trade and skill. When people ask what I do and I say I am a welder they kinda seem let down? I dig it and love fabricating things up.. The best way to get good is practicing or takes welding class
    I am finding it is is primitive enough where thousands of books read will not get a numb skull into great welding.

I am certain people are offended by naturals. Welding is never just welding. the person at the helm of the supercoil is the einstein.

if you discuss an entire year to settle one project...here comes some damn good welds.
    have fun to learn, think like the sun...and for more than a day. <- if to write a welding book, my own is one sentence long.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; January 3, 2013, 12:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Brian Lohnes
    replied
    Fusing metal with electricity = WINNING

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied
    I recently fixed an earring for Rhonda with acid core flux and a soldering iron with regular wire solder.

Working with copper is very cool - I actually enjoy sweating pipes together - the problem is - copper is rapidly approaching the price of silver and gold.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Holmes
    replied
    Steam punk is cool.

Welding is a great skill. I wish I was better at it.

Leave a comment:

• Thumpin455
    replied
    Steampunk stuff uses lots of brass and copper, so it will be brazing and soldering too, since you cant weld them with a mig. Working with copper is very easy and it can be polished to a nice shine, you only need a small propane torch and some solder/flux to stick copper together. Think of it as industrial arts and crafts, no wimpy country duck or scrapbooking here. Been trying to get Cat to put on a helmet and watch, she is quite artistic and makes interesting sculptures, welding would be natural to her. Get some gloves, a bit of scrap and go weld! Classes are great too.

Leave a comment:

• LORENSWIFE
    replied
    Loren just showed me a bit for a few minutes last night but I have seen welds that he does that are just a perfect bead for several feet or so. I know if I try it I will be making big bloppy yard art out of stuff from the recycle pile... It just seems like the ultimate glue!
    Last edited by LORENSWIFE; January 3, 2013, 10:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied
    Take a class - one of the best things I've ever learned how to do - not sure how I got along working on cars for so long without it.
    Loren is surely all the teacher you'll need - but if you're really into it - a class may be a good thing.

Some of the best student teacher weldors in my class were women - and they were very very very good weldors, especially for TIG which requires fine motor skills.

Leave a comment:

• brandontinley
    replied
    Welding is fun and a very undervalued trade and skill. When people ask what I do and I say I am a welder they kinda seem let down? I dig it and love fabricating things up.. The best way to get good is practicing or takes welding class

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied
    Originally posted by LORENSWIFE View Post
    Anybody into Steampunk?
    Nope.

But welding is fun, go for it!
    Last edited by squirrel; January 3, 2013, 10:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• LORENSWIFE
    replied
    Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
    Haven't you ever seen Flashdance??
    No I am so un-cool

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied
    Haven't you ever seen Flashdance??

Leave a comment:

Working...