OMG welding is cool!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
    Take a class - one of the best things I've ever learned how to do - not sure how I got along working on cars for so long without it.
    Loren is surely all the teacher you'll need - but if you're really into it - a class may be a good thing.

Some of the best student teacher weldors in my class were women - and they were very very very good weldors, especially for TIG which requires fine motor skills.

One of my friends in PA who's sons work in the gas rigs ws telling me he was watching a woman who was welding pipe line. He said she was like a robot laying down beautiful welds.

Talk about fixing an earring for your wife, one of the odd ball things I did once was to fix a circulating heat pump at the shop where I worked. The motor wouldn't start, it just hummed. The contact on the start winding switch in the motor burned off. I cut the head off a brass screw and brazed it on where the missing contact was. Ran for many years, could still be there for all I know.
    Last edited by Huskinhano; January 3, 2013, 01:52 PM.
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by LORENSWIFE View Post
      No I am so un-cool
      ^^^^ Uncultured heathen. ^^^^
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I learned to become good, and my son as well.. He took classes at school, then came home.. Wanted to use mine.. Fine. Rod there, helmet here, gloves with the helmet... I went in the house and after awhile he comes in, plops down all sweaty.. Could not start a bead... Why? 1937 Centry.. Not fast start.. Went out, ran a bead, showed him how.. Now he lays down beads better than some pros.. He could earn a living doing that.. He has to be good as he is driving the car he builds the cage in.. I do need more practice..
        I built a car crusher from scratch.. Just welded it.. Took me almost 3 weeks of 4-8 pm 4 days a week, 10-12 hrs 2 days a week .
        Deck that crushed was 1 inch I-beam side by side 12" wide.. Used 1/2" rod.. Taught 2 people to weld on that job too..
        Built cherry picker tong base from scratch.. ..

Comment

I have a love/hate relationship with welding. I love joining metal together but hate that I'm not very good at it.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
            I have a love/hate relationship with welding. I love joining metal together but hate that I'm not very good at it.

Dan
            Practice, practice, practice... Watch what you do, see how different stuff reacts..
            I started building my derby cars after work at the yard.. Some welds broke, some didn't.. Once I started welding at home with the old one.. Pretty much stopped breaking welds ..

Comment

Originally posted by brandontinley View Post
              Welding is fun and a very undervalued trade and skill. When people ask what I do and I say I am a welder they kinda seem let down? I dig it and love fabricating things up.. The best way to get good is practicing or takes welding class
              Tell them you are a THERMAL FUSION TECHNICIAN. I did that. I specalized in sanitary control. I worked fabing a sewage treatment plant.

Nick

Comment

Lol that's a good idea, maybe it will pay more that way

Comment

Years ago I was sticking a new floor into an old car of mine (in the dead of winter ) and I called off sick from work for a day to finish it......I didn't wear a helmet since most of the work was spot welds.....went into work the next day with a bad "sunburn" ...... a couple days later my face started peelin' ...... wear your safety gear.

Welding rules. you can make ANYTHING if you can weld. so much fun it should be illegal!
                  Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

I have just about gotten the hang of welding on cars. I spend just as much on angle grinder wheels as I do on gas and wire.

I learned to solder at tech school, well to do it properly. Since then working with things I can stick together that way is very enjoyable. I get a kick out of building stills and then having them work as nice as they do.

Comment

Originally posted by nickleone View Post
                      Tell them you are a THERMAL FUSION TECHNICIAN. I did that. I specalized in sanitary control. I worked fabing a sewage treatment plant.

Nick
                      sounds more respectable.

welding to one that does not know, is like class A trucking to someone who drove nothing but little cars.

opening your mind shrinks alot of things...and that allows for more thinking without intimidation.

my friend in high school crushed a roof on an old chevy pickup after flipping it end for end, and then like a hot dog.

at 6 foot 6 he thought nothing of it. Me? I was in awe at how small that truck was treated, and to witness it back on the road after thrashing by hand/hammering/ cutting and welding..

I have never been the same after welding.

Truckdriving was my strange leap into a different realm of what is strong or not..but you get what I am saying if you have welded automobiles.

the strangest plague I have encountered yet...the tiny things so many people focus on, it even changes values incorrectly.
                      Last edited by Barry Donovan; January 3, 2013, 07:47 PM.
                      Previously boxer3main
                      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Taking the welding courses at the local Vo-Tech has proven to be the most useful classes I have taken.
                        The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
                          the strangest plague I have encountered yet...the tiny things so many people focus on, it even changes values incorrectly.
                          So true, and...

Another one for my book of Boxerisms...

You encountered that plague because you've grown, not because it wasn't always there.

Comment

Im welding up the rest of the rollcage in the KIA tomorrow
                            Come on Mornin.

Comment

Yay! Another convert! I took a class as an elective and ended up loving it, but there's no reason you have to learn gas first. We were on a rotation and mine went stick, MIG, plasma cutter, gas cutting torch, gas, brazing then TIG. So it can be done however. If you decide to take a class you won't regret it. Learning the correct welds and types of metals and stuff is as useful as the actual act of welding. Plus it always feels great one-upping the guys
                              Who needs sugar and spice and everything nice? I'm a Southern girl - give me cars, guns and whiskey on ice. ~Mrs. Remy-Z

Comment

Originally posted by Schtauffer View Post
                                Taking the welding courses at the local Vo-Tech has proven to be the most useful classes I have taken.
                                No argument here....and I went thru four years of engineering school
                                My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
                                X