X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biggest bone head wrenching mistakes as a teenager

We all had 'em......no matter what era you grew
    up in.

My earliest was when I tried pulling a transmission out of my '55 Chevy. My first attempt. In the front yard lying underneath car.
    After much tugging and pulling it ended up on my chest. Spent the next 20 minutes yelling for help.

What's yours?
    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Rebuilt and engine because it was burning oil.....

it was burning oil on the exhaust manifold due to a blown mechanical fuel pump diaphram.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

not putting in a distributor correctly in a Olds 455 - oil pump wasn't fully engaged, burned the motor down.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Oil........another early bone head mistake.
        Convinced my dad to let me change the oil in the family station wagon.

Pulled plug in oil pan......in front yard.....let oil drain directly onto lawn.
        Grass didn't grow there for a couple of years.
        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

When I was a senior in high school I took a class in auto mechanics. I took a friends v8 Ford flathead in to class and was going to "overhaul" it. I tore it down and put the 8 aluminum pistons with the wrist pins on a coat hanger wire in the oakite tank over the weekend and on Monday when I pulled out the wire all that was on it was the wrist pins. I didn't know that the aluminum wasn't supposed to go in the hot tank.

Comment

usually they were the result of listening to my friend....he was sure you could re-use intake manifold gaskets....just put the distributor in and we'll figure out the timing later....etc

But dropping the pushrod down into the oil pan was my own damn fault.
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
              usually they were the result of listening to my friend....he was sure you could re-use intake manifold gaskets....just put the distributor in and we'll figure out the timing later....etc

But dropping the pushrod down into the oil pan was my own damn fault.
              Reminds of one buddies tried to make solid lifters with washers.
              Worked fine until he started pulling the studs out.
              Thom

Comment

My first automotive overhaul was a Studebaker V8. Turns out you could put the intake on backwards on those!

I rarely make the same mistake twice - but I make 'em ALL the first time.

Dan

Comment

I adjusted the automatic transmission on my Mustang and went to test it and now it wouldn't move. Oops! Did manage to correct through trial and error. That's the last time I ever touched one of those. The list goes on and on but I am still trying to reach new heights.
                  Solutions are often obvious once you get the questions right.

Comment

When I was 16 I installed an aftermarket floor shifter in my first car an automatic and decided I didnt need to read the directions because I knew what I was doing. I never set the stops and on my first drive which was a full power pass I went straight from first to reverse.

Later in life I forgot to reconnect my oil pressure line at the block after reinstalling my engine. It's amazing how much oil can go through an 1/8" opening.

I also stuck my head through the window of my 4 speed truck and started it without checking to see that it was still in gear. I dove in the window to shut it off just as it ran into the side of my house, that was fun explaining to the wife.

Comment

Putting a Pontiac 350 into a Datsun LB110, The car would jump off the ground especially when the car ramps are still infront of the car.

Comment

Selling my bitchin 77 Nova cop car & buying a piece of shit 84 Celica GTS(the only foreign car I've ever owned)
                        The Celica was a fun car for about 6 months, then everything went totally south & got really exspensive.

Comment

Well I was in my mid 20's but I was under my 57 Chevy with only the Jack holding up the back half of the car, I grabbed the handle to move the jack handle out of my way and accidently twisted it and had half the weight of a 57 chevy on my chest, broke the wood creeper I was on and I had taken my last breath, I was able to grab the jack handle and raise the car enough to get out from under it, it only hurt whenever I took a breath for about a week! Another time I was in the garage with the engine running and the garage door open but I think the wind was blowing in and didn't let the fumes escape, anyway I got so sick I ruptured my stomach lining, there are probably more but they've been erased from my memory bank!
                          sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

My biggest bonehead move was sanding the paint off my 67 Cougar back in 86, it took 22 years for it to wear paint again and I still havent driven it. I really miss driving that car.

Comment

selling my diplomat after redoing the engine because i wanted a truck
                              Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                              Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Working...
                              X