Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our Military at work...Dumb stuff you did or Broke serving our country

I think this will be pretty funny.

I all ready mentioned my fellow airman that enjoyed charging capacitors and replacing them in stock.

Our squadron,like most in the 80's,would say good bye to PCSing and retiring members by giving them a swim in the dunk tank. Man or Woman. I was at Williams AFB AZ when a not well loved SMgt came up for retirement. He was branch chief of the engine shop and on his near last day his branch put together a big party for him,during the duty day,things got well out of hand by lunch time as about 100 people had drained 4 Kegs before lunch. As all departers the SMgt was going in the dunk tank like it or not. He did not like it. They,about 50,started running through the engine shop,jet engines,J85's,through and around the rebuild docks. Well as was bound to happen the SMsgt snagged his shirt on an engine stand and he was caught,oh caught AFTER they lifted said stand and half engine off of him. They then using about 20 rolls of duct tape tied him to 2 broom sticks and carried him to the tank,he was going in .

I have to tell you about the tank,its a stock tank aout 8ft in dia and could be 24-30" deep of water. Except he was not well liked so it only had about 10" of water in it.
    The mob carried him out then started swinging him long ways like a skip rope. On 3 they let him fly......OVER the tank and on the ground on the other side! They threw him 10'! Remember his arms and legs are bound! They then went around to the other side and did the 1-2-3 and dropped him in the water FACE DOWN! and laughing started walking away high fiving all the way,(more likely back slapping it was the 80's). Then somebody yelled OH !@#$ and jumped in and flipped him over,bloody nosed, dirty, wet and PISSED! Somebody cut him out but he was MFing everybody that came near him,he wanted heads,the comander must have just laughed it off because nothing happened.

Our Paint Shop guys had bomb "Jammers" little tractors with a lift on the front to load weapons under aircraft wings. They are only about 2ft tall and 12ft long,some of the older ones had 25hp(!) Brigs and Stratten twins,governed. Well at least 2 of them had the linkage "misadjusted" on the governer and flat halled butt so of course they got raced. First it was just 4 barrels in the hanger next thing they are running them out the doors and under aircraft.They are painters and they did spray Imron without resperators at times. Well its all fun and games until......you crash into the Wing Cammanders Jet and rip both main landing gear doors off and gash your arm almost off! Weekend duty has almost no supervision,just 2 Ssgt's each running a crew of about 30 to service 200 T37 and T38's. Some how they got sheet metal and Aero Repair to work all night on Sunday to replace the doors as the Wing Commander was shceduled to fly out at 0800 Monday. As for the jammer driver,he was torn up good ,many stiches later he had to tell the story of how he slipped off the wing of an aircraft and got cut up by some hangers and scrap in the trash can.....
    Last edited by Cyclone03; January 4, 2013, 04:36 PM.

never broke anything there either.

an event with a battery once..about all.

I saw the tail end of the cold war stuff leaving. The pile of bad leadership is so bad the "religious aurora" has several hundred years to disperse to justice.

a senior master getting thrashed like that.. I could not imagine it.
    we did have a real loser, climbed all the way to senior. A drunk they kept humoring. As odds would have it he ended up my grand leader. Ths guy drank so much his liver was in advanced stages of failing. Not sure why they kept him, other than him being there for some death filled drama.

Toughen up buttercups.Accepted paths like that do not stop killing...
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Oh I thought of something dumb I did......

I worked T37's (google it),I was helping a fellow airman adjust the generator voltage regulators,on a T37 you stand on the left side of the noes working in a panel about 3 feet infront of the jet engine intake. Idle engine power. He had come up with a new piece of test equipment that connected to the generator shunt on the aft bulkhead in the panel area,right above the VR's (voltage regulators) as he adjusted the VR his 10" long screw driver shorted against the shunt (about 1200amps!) and blew his screwdriver in half. He jumped back and dropped(tossed?) the screw driver in the intake! Me, not thinking, reached in and grabbed the still smoking half a screw driver. The engine is running! The J69 in a Tweet is basicly a big turbo so it's faily rugged as far as jets go. The handle just touched the blade as I yanked it out of the intake,then I burned the !@#$ out of my hand as I had the still red hot metal stub in my hand.
      To this day I have no clue why I did that.
      Engine fine,VR had a big hole in it and we needed a new screw driver.

Comment

Boy does this bring back some memories.

1968 ......one of the largest bases on the East Coast, Davisville, RI.
        One large base with six battalions of Seabees.......two ammunition ships at our docks
        and two aircraft carriers at Quonset Point which was a part of the base as well.

I'm telling you.......it was like the wild,wild west back then.

Anyway, we ran security and maintenance.........had access to every type of vehicle
        in the motor pool.
        We would drag race the staff cars......these were typically mid '60's Plymouths with 318's or the slant six.
        We ran the dog shit out of these cars.......all had push button drive. Damn things were bullet proof, couldn't blow 'em up.

One night the Marine base security caught us down by the docks racing.
        Two of us got tickets.........I worked at the E8-E9 club after hours.
        Got one of the security chiefs to fix the tickets.

Good times.
        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

While not serving the military, my best friends dad kept us entertained many nights with his stories form the AF and turkey during'91. Then later in Nellis.

Lets say there were some pissed MPs
          Local person
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RustyRodder View Post
            While not serving the military, my best friends dad kept us entertained many nights with his stories form the AF and turkey during'91. Then later in Nellis.

Lets say there were some pissed MPs
            I have a co worker with big storys of "Turkey Shoot" '91,it was (is?) a big muti service live fire excercise,"electronic"(no Live ammo) dog fights,USAF v USN v Marines. Big time Horse Play after hours.
            Last edited by Cyclone03; January 4, 2013, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Im going to jail..................

Back in the good ol days we had these little warehouse tugs for towing our little aircraft,T37,T38's. They would pull about 12,000lbs no problem. The GOOD ones had slant 6's with Torque Flights. I only know this because I knew a motor pool guy that was a Mopar Guy,and he MAY have traded transmissions between some vehicles,but thats not what this story is about.

Its about Wheelies!
              Did you know that if you back up a warehouse tug with a 80" wheel base then shift to first with your foot to the floor a Tug that must wieght about 6000lbs will stand on the pintal hook and drag it until you lift? I do. Oh I forgot to tell you a Tug has NO Top,No rollbar,no seat belts and has low back tractor type seats made very flat so you can side on and off them. I also know an SP can laugh his ass off while trying to wright a ticket,but stops when you remind him that it was his idea and it was him who showed us how to do it,saftey in numbers 4 of us one of him and we all had the same story.......
              Last edited by Cyclone03; January 4, 2013, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Didn't tear anything up doing this.....my buddy and I would go off base with one of those multi fueler trucks.
                The one that looked like a troop carrier with canvass top.

We'd go hang out at local Burger Chef in Warwick, RI......chicks dug us.
                Last edited by Monk; January 4, 2013, 07:01 PM.
                Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

I worked at the Air Force Research Lab at Wright Patterson and we were doing a life extension on an aircraft wing structure. Can't say which one only that they are still flying them. Well we got a whole wing center section from AMARC, you know the boneyard, to turn into test jigs for the NDI equipment were working on. It's my job as the 2Lt (AFRL is a civilian org I was the low man on the tottem pole) to horse around the rotary carbide cutter and cut the front and back wing attach points off of the wing and most of the skin up so we could take them in the lab. Now it's a wet wing meaning that the wing is basically a big fuel tank and there are tons of hydrallic lines running around. Wing had supposed to have been sitting in the sun for years and all dried out.

Probably 2/3rds of the way through the job I come to the first piece of steel reinforcement strap on the wing and start cutting when there is a probably basketball sized fireball that goes off under my feet inside the wing! Now my boss who's taking pictures starts backpeddaling while I'm trying to kill the cutter, get off of the wing and get clear all at the same time. Turns out there was nothing in the wing but a mix of aluminum dust from the cutter, vaporized fuel tank sealant and a steady stream of sparks from the steel strap I was cutting made nice fireballs.
                  I managed to make it through the rest of the wing without incident that day. However the next day I managed to light my coveralls on fire with the stream of sparks off of the same stupid steel strap on the other side of the wing.
                  Central TEXAS Sleeper
                  USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                    Didn't tear anything up doing this.....my buddy and I would go off base with one of those multi fueler trucks.
                    The one that looked like a troop carrier with canvass top.

We'd go hang out at local Burger Chef in Warwick, RI......chicks dug us.
                    We didn't hang out,but we used to go TDY from March AFB to Pt Magu,I never knew you could get there without driving PCH from Santa Monica north. ( I was local so I did know but that was my story in the summer)
                    It was fun,somehow girls would flash us every trip. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclone03 View Post
                      We didn't hang out,but we used to go TDY from March AFB to Pt Magu,I never knew you could get there without driving PCH from Santa Monica north. ( I was local so I did know but that was my story in the summer)
                      It was fun,somehow girls would flash us every trip. ;)
                      Ha....TDY! Guess you could call it that
                      Thom

Comment

A. my newest Airman Basic was learning to drive the 200-thousand-million pound spanking new, lift-cab, V-16, four-wheel drive, 4-wheel steer large aircraft tow vehicle. He's doing okay. Trainer says "your trained!", sends him to the motor pool to fill up the tank. Kid gets to the electronic keypad at the retractable gate exit, punches in the exit code, turns the wheel a bit to pull away from the keypad post, forgets that its still in "crab-steering" mode, and proceeds to wipe out then entire keypad, keypad post, and the two CEMENT filled 10-inch pipes that were there to protect the keypad. I had to explain that to the Wing king one-star.

Only scratched the paint on the tow rigs 1-inch thick steel fender.
                        Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                          Ha....TDY! Guess you could call it that
                          No we really went to fix airplanes...

Comment

Aaaand my Chief Master's recollections of running the F-15 test cell... at NIGHT... on full-afterburner... and piercing a quart of oil, and tossing it into the flame... BEAUTIFUL flame show as the can of oil is incinerated.

He went through an entire case of oil doing that... on more than one occasion...
                            Last edited by Caveman Tony; January 4, 2013, 07:37 PM.
                            Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclone03 View Post
                              No we really went to fix airplanes...
                              Gotcha......our TDY trips were day adventures to check out the locals .
                              Thom

Comment

Working...
                              X