Car victims of hurricane Sandy on copart.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car victims of hurricane Sandy on copart.com

One of my time wasters is copart. Check this out http://www.copart.com/c2/classic_auc...SEARCH_RESULTS . Lots of nice classics and hot rods in the classic section. Some look ok and some have obvious high water marks.
    used to be purplecobra, now just myself. I still drive a mustang!!!!!

Have you ever bought anything from them? Has anyone? Im wondering, are their descriptions accurate? And is there any real hassle involved? Are they all salvage title? Some of those cars dont look too bad either. From what I understand they are storing alot of them right now at Englishtown at the track,thousands from what I hear. That Plymouth dosent look too bad,I would not have let them take it.
    Last edited by antmnte; January 6, 2013, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Guess those Rods and muscle cars,have owners that doesnt know how to fix them..or the insurance pays better..its bad lookin at all these pics.Makes you wonder why we look at restoring cars from the fields or barns.

One flood,and its scrapped for good.

Comment

Man this makes me sick.... Some of this stuff just can't be replaced for any amount of money.
        Where are you gonna find another one of these? Not to mention if it has family history value.

It is a shame....and usually I'd say its worth dumping the fluids and trying to save it. But if it was flooded with ocean salt water loaded with sand.....I'm thinking its game over.
        Last edited by andy30thz; January 6, 2013, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by andy30thz View Post
          Man this makes me sick.... Some of this stuff just can't be replaced for any amount of money.
          Where are you gonna find another one of these? Not to mention if it has family history value.

It is a shame....and usually I'd say its worth dumping the fluids and trying to save it. But if it was flooded with ocean salt water loaded with sand.....I'm thinking its game over.
          Drive it into non salt water to flush out all the salt..just remove the engine and interior first.

Comment

I'm guessing a lot of the owners have lost everything.I have bid on a few cars but never have won . All of them have salvage titles. I would treat them as really good parts cars. Rust city soon..
            used to be purplecobra, now just myself. I still drive a mustang!!!!!

Comment

Why not just change the fluids and wash out everything . Especially with old cars I cant see it being that big of an issue, I bet they werent all in salt water as well alot of time people just want to cash out. Maybe a new alternator and starter some other stuff (carpet a few switches) there are many cars there with bids on them too.

Check this out,

The damage from a major natural disaster can be harrowing – loss to life and limb combined with property damage, environmental, economic and psychological impact make picking up the pieces difficult. But long after the crisis ebbs, the damage lingers, becoming ever more pernicious and difficult to discern. Mold inside walls, unseen weakened structures... they all get covered up with fresh coats of paint. So, too, it is with the automobiles affected.
              Last edited by antmnte; January 6, 2013, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Besides being corrosive, salt water is a conductor...
                Maybe the thought of poop in the car isn't pleasant?

Suppose, when you have lost everything, the luxry of a classic hot rod is not important...
                Last edited by Deaf Bob; January 6, 2013, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Could be Bob ,but if it was me whatever I had left I that was salvageable I would want to keep. Maybe not everyone thinks that way but I do. In the case of that Pontiac wagon its just too bad after all those years to lose something like that.

Comment

I agree, my 57 would be the last to go..
                    My kids joke they will bury me in it...

Comment

Guy on the buick forum lost a GNX.. Shame
                      Powertour off/on since 2002
                      sigpic

Comment

It's a pretty big deal to get hooked up with Copart, I believe.
                        The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

I'm going to buy Sandy car from auction with rebuildable cars for sale easyexport.us which is a Copart broker as far as I know. I'm still in two minds though, but I guess it all depends on the submersion, if the water level wasn't deep enough to cause problems with the engine and with electronics, that it might be fine to buy such a car.

Comment

Working...
                          X