No announcement yet.

Amos Doesn't Know HIs Name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PeeWee, sorry to hear your new puppy is a slow brained puppy. But, the dumb dogs are always the most loveable.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Ah!... There it is.... In my jumbled mind... It becomes clear..
      Thanks A/Fuel
      (hangs head, shrugs, kicks ground) Seeing some mistakes I made....
      Last edited by Deaf Bob; January 7, 2013, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Cool, A/Fuel. We're on pretty common ground. We've been pretty consistent with King using the methods you described and he's turned into a pretty good dog. Which is not to say he doesn't have his moments!

I bet Amos is going to do just fine - he's still a baby. Consistent is THE word.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
          Cool, A/Fuel. We're on pretty common ground. We've been pretty consistent with King using the methods you described and he's turned into a pretty good dog. Which is not to say he doesn't have his moments!

I bet Amos is going to do just fine - he's still a baby. Consistent is THE word.

Dan
          We've decided the "s" in "Amos" is silent. We can't stop calling him, "AY-moe."

That doesn't work either, but it's fun to try. As he goes by, a copper-spotted ground rocket.
          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

What ever you call him, be consistant Peewee.
            Dogs are very intune to your body language too. For instance...The dog always heels on the left. When leash training, let the leash have some slack while he's sit/heel and you are standing still. If you want the dog to heel with you as you walk, have some slack in the leash to just below your knee. Make your first step an exagerated one with your left foot first, letting you leg tug the leash, saying "heel" at the sametime. If you want him to stay as you walk away, make an exagerated step with your right foot first, saying "stay". After some time, the dog respond off leash without saying a word. My Dad learned this when he was on the K-9 unit in Detroit and we since used it on our hunting dogs when being quiet was nessassary.
            My Mom still has some of the awards my brother and I used to win at obiendence and field trials when we were younger. I have a pomerian now and try to teach the kids "parlor tricks".....like I always say though, it's harder to train the handler than the dog. Against my wishes they like to give her treats as a reward, and it doesn't work that well. The dog pays to much attention to the treat, and when they don't have treats the dog doesn't pay any attention. They yell out corrections when they are not in a position to actually correct the dog....on and on.....I gave up a long time ago, lol.
            Dogs pick up bad habits as easily as good ones, my Dad gave me a book on dog psycology by Michale Fox when I was a kid, I don't know if it's still available but its a good read if you're into that kind of stuff.
            Originally posted by TC
            also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Dan
              Just like raising kids, lol
              We never took a dog in for training unless it was at least 6 months old, and still had to evaluate first. Besides potty training and teaching the most important command....."come" There really isn't a lot you can do, except keep it fun for the dog.
              Other than the protection dog service, people usually brought us dogs that had behavor problems to begin with. It takes a lot of work to fix bad habbits, just like humans.
              There isn't anything wrong with "just a pet" which is what most people want. One last comment though, a pet thats trained has less stress because it knows whats expected, knows it's place, and knows how to be rewarded, and is usually happier as a result.
              Originally posted by TC
              also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Working...
              X