What To Do With Ugly Wheels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ron Ward View Post
    Can someone do a photoshop job on Red and turn his wheels silver for peewee to ponder?
    I posted several pics of mustangs with the exact wheel in silver in PW's other thread. I got pics from the website he bought them from.
    Charles

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
      Lowered cars are not what they are all cracked up to be........
      There's a difference between "slammed" and lowering for function as well as form.

Get a set of stiffer springs that drop about an inch front/rear and it would be perfect.
      I take photos.

Comment

Just a though- instead of silver, what about more of a gunmetal color?

Last edited by RustyRodder; January 7, 2013, 09:33 AM.
        Local person
        sigpic

Comment

sure they are... they crack pans, lower control arms, frames.... just a cracking good time IMO
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
            sure they are... they crack pans, lower control arms, frames.... just a cracking good time IMO
            Yeah I'm with ya there SBG. I'm not the least bit interested in lowering the car. I do like the slighty-lowered look, but I don't want the inherent consequences.

If y'all recall (I sure do) when I first got Red I was concerned about air getting under the car if I was going to make the Mile run. Because at 120 (let's not say where I did that) the car was just floating. Not even steering, just roughly aiming. Like one of those crappy Ford 500 land barges that the blue hairs like. I thought it was air under the car, but I found that it was the $10 tires that were on Red when I got him. They were speed rated to 120, and I DID it, ignorant to the fact at the time. Lucky I wasn't killed.

The G-Force tires took that part out of it. It was those cheap ass tires that were expanding and narrowing at speed.

All that to say, air under the car should not be a factor on a road course, you don't ever get up to nearly that fast. And Red's rotund, he ain't gonna fly. The purists are more interested in the air on TOP of the car and put on tall tail wings for downforce. I'm not real sure how much of that is superstition too, but I guess when you get to a radical level of proficiency that's how you get another few tenths off of a lap.

The tires are the perfect ones (except for the square one) and the brakes are the right ones, and the wheels are the right ones, but they totally turn us more than off, the black. And everybody's got visual preference.

I'm not happy with them and Unit's even more not happy with them, if that's possible. There's no saving those black wheels here at our house, not with stripes or whatever. From all of the suggestions here, for a few seconds I thought about stripping and painting them myself, but if I did that, they would sure look like I did it (translated - even more ugly) so I'd rather get somebody in that particular line of work to fix em up right. Silver. Throw the checkbook at them one more time and be done with it.

Just eat the mistake whole and see if it makes me puke immediately or crap later on, either which way.

Oh, and I just saw an interesting thing on a comment to a news story on the home page. Dude said, "TIME is an acronym for Things I Must Endure." I like that, hadn't seen that one before.
            Last edited by pdub; January 7, 2013, 01:52 PM.
            Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

peedub, in case I haven't said it before, I dig your car, man.

Ron
              It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Ward View Post
                peedub, in case I haven't said it before, I dig your car, man.

Ron
                Thanks Ron! I dig it too, and I'll dig it even more (again) with silver wheels and some fat hulking brakes on the front.

I just can't express how disgusted Sueunit is with these wheels. The worst mistake I've made in the build so far, for sure.

Comment

Or "Things I Must Enjoy". But I tend to look on the positive side.

On the wheels - it's an easy fix and really isn't that big a failure. If you had put on a blower and failed the engine, THAT would be a major screw-up. This can be fixed for not a huge amount so no harm-no foul.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                    Or "Things I Must Enjoy". But I tend to look on the positive side.

On the wheels - it's an easy fix and really isn't that big a failure. If you had put on a blower and failed the engine, THAT would be a major screw-up. This can be fixed for not a huge amount so no harm-no foul.

Dan
                    Dan, thanks for recommending the folks I got the brakes from. You were right, their customer service and tech support is over the top. Unreal in this day and time. The guy there is all but begging me to ask questions if they can be any help to me at all. And today I got an email suggesting that I buy a power bleeder kit from somebody else, a kit they don't sell. Yep, one more piece of the puzzle on the way.

Comment

Actually, lowered cars are often cracked up . . . cracked up oil pan . . . cracked up mufflers . . . cracked up ball joints . . . cracked up bump stops . . . .

Unless you only drive on perfectly smooth roads (i.e. race tracks) or just have to do the "pro fairgrounds" thing lower than the next lawnchair racer, moderation is always the key to lowering.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                        I just can't express how disgusted Sueunit is with these wheels. The worst mistake I've made in the build so far, for sure.
                        They look current . . . lots of cars being built with black wheels now.

Maybe paint 'em body color instead of silver . . . if you dare to be different.

Or maybe keep 'em black but add red or silver accents

Comment

Naw, there's no saving the black wheels at our house. In our eyes it would be like putting lipstick and jewelry on a pig. Again, everybody looks at the same thing and sees different things. That's human, why we're all different on the inside.

I do have to say, on subject but off topic....Folks here in Tennesssee are so friendly, it's part of why we love it here. The UPS guy just delivered the wayward black lug nuts. He and I both on Friday wrestled the wheels and tires off of his truck and trundled them inside the house on a cart he had.

Same guy this evening, comes to the door just grinning, saying, "Oh man, got em mounted and couldn't put 'em on!" I told him I had some other lug nuts to use in the meantime.

I had told him I was looking for lug nuts to be delivered his first time by.

He remembered that, and guessed that's what was in the box today. That's personal, that's friendly. I like that.
                          Last edited by pdub; January 7, 2013, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outsider View Post
                            Actually, lowered cars are often cracked up . . . cracked up oil pan . . . cracked up mufflers . . . cracked up ball joints . . . cracked up bump stops . . . .

Unless you only drive on perfectly smooth roads (i.e. race tracks) or just have to do the "pro fairgrounds" thing lower than the next lawnchair racer, moderation is always the key to lowering.
                            That is why when I lowered my Camaro I went with the smallest drop I could find, 1 1/4 inches, thing that sucks is the cross member for my torque arm hangs down and I scrape on some speed bumps, it also sucks when there is a steep transition into a parking lot, usually have to hit it at an angle..... With my new Kook's headers and Y-pipe I can run a different cross member and that should fix that, but dealing with Transitions end up being something you have to look out for.... I know I've pulled up places and was like I'm not getting my car in there....... Then we can get into the suspension modification that need to be done, since lowering it throws all the geometry off......
                            Last edited by TC; January 7, 2013, 04:13 PM.

Comment

you could always take them up to nashville and have them done what ever color you want

Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Hmmmmm. Nashville is a fer piece to take and then get go to get them back. I haven't followed Matt's links yet to places around Chattanooga. I think I can get this done closer to home than that.

And the tires. Off again and on again, ($$$) and Tire Rack is shipping the new tire to replace the square one as we speak.

But can you imagine, how many people in the world have more pressing issues to deal with than how to fix up a hotrod? I'm aware of it every day as this goes on. Yes, this is all trivial and superficial. And just plain extra. A bonus. Fun problems to have.

Comment

Working...
                                X