Cold Care Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Care Tips

As I mentioned in my build thread, I've been in the house nursing a cold for weeks. Well, really 5 days but it seems like forever. Went to the doc yesterday and it's nothing terminal - not strep and not flu. With all my health crap it's important that I take care of myself so I'm just layin' around waiting for this to go away.

So the question is - what do you guys do for the symptoms of a cold?

Remember, alcohol and sugar are off the table (literally) for me so the whiskey and honey type cures won't work. The doc said that I just have to wait. Any other ideas?

Dan

For you lots of water and Vitamin C. They sell sugar free drop now get some of those.

I like Sudafed 12 Hour, take it to long and it does mess up my sleep, but when you can not sleep b/c I can not breath, I end up laying awake able to breath. I would check with your Doc before taking your ticker may not like it (its more or less speed)
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

Comment

Water water water... Time...
      Water to help flush it out, time for it to travel thru.
      If I have someplace to be or feeling really mizzerable, the little red sudafed tabs...(behind the counter here in OR due to meth, as Russel said it has a little speed like stuff in it) that opens me up to breathe...

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
        For you lots of water and Vitamin C. They sell sugar free drop now get some of those.

I like Sudafed 12 Hour, take it to long and it does mess up my sleep, but when you can not sleep b/c I can not breath, I end up laying awake able to breath. I would check with your Doc before taking your ticker may not like it (its more or less speed)
        water and oranges..I agree.
        if something thick starts moving..hot coffees or whatever hot.
        break up the monster.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Rest and fluids... If youve got a fever that lasts longer than 7 days go see your doctor again... Almost killed myself by not doing that...
          Good luck and get well.
          BKB
          Last edited by BKBridges; January 8, 2013, 11:22 AM.
          www.FBthrottlebodies.com
          Bruce K Bridges

Comment

ive been battling flu type symptoms for two weeks now, went to the doc yesterday, seems my sinuses are all jacked up, doc told me to take Musinex, allergy type pill (Clariton) and prescribed another over the counter pill
            Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

I recently found the Alka Seltzer cold and flu stuff..like nyquill but better....I also find time to exercise and sit in a sauna when I have a cold....or sit in the bathroom with the shower running full hot to make a steam room...
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

if it's in your sinuses go get a Nedi pot - they are an amazingly simple common sense (a bit gross the first time) way to clear out your sinuses.... literally - you pour warm saline into one nostril with your head over the sink, it fills up your nasal cavity - and comes out the other nostril.

It knocks out a sinus problem before it has time to start.

If it's in your chest - long hot showers or steam bath or head over the boiling pot with a towel - sleep upright in the recliner.
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I pop extra Zinc tablets.

Oh......and chicken soup.
                  Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Thanks guys. Mostly I'm doing the fluids and rest/sleep routine. I hate to take much with all the other dope I'm on. Sugar-free Ricola as required. Just wondered if one of you had a magic formula.

John - I don't do well with stuff in my nose. I've tried nasal inhalants from time to time and I feel like I'm being water boarded. I'd much rather take a shot - seriously. But I've heard that the Neti pots work and ME does a similar thing as needed.

Dan

Comment

Eat a clove of garlic every day. Dip it in honey or something if that helps,that will kick the s&it out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by antmnte View Post
                        Eat a clove of garlic every day. Dip it in honey or something if that helps,that will kick the s&it out of it.
                        Diabetic... NO honey, except the one in bed with him..

Try GINGER.. I am nibbling some now... Chrystalized ginger... That won't work for you, Dan... Maybe ginger tea or bits of peeled ginger root.. I do use ginger root in dishes I cook.. Generally stir-fry type meals.. You can slice a chunk and nibble on it..
                        It helps motion sickness, digestive distress, and cold symptoms.. It is a kown anti-inflamatory in chinese medicine.. You could slice some slivers and drink it in a tea..

Hope this helps!

Comment

I've just started to get a sore throat and persistent headache last night and it's still going now. Been a long long time since I can remember having both at the same time for more than a day. I'm going with cheez-it cracker for the salt and a ton of water to balance it. I don't know if that would work for you or not. Heck I don't know if it'll work for me, but I basically try and keep dehydration at bay and carbohydrates in the system. But I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.
                          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Zicam.
                            The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

The ginger tea sounds interesting - these were the kind of tips I was hoping for. Actually, I'm feeling a bit better today and suspect I'm on the mend. Woke up w/o sore throat for the first time in a year (well, maybe not a year but it SEEMS like it) and the schnoz isn't dribbling too badly. I won't push it though and take the time to really get over it. Really looking forward to getting back in the shop and dropping the Benz into the S10!

Maybe time is the best healer of all.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X