Kids today....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kids today....

Love my dads high school parking lot stories. Friday burnouts at 3 oclock. Im sure 72 skylark participated in a few. Cant have fun like that anymore specially since my high school is right on top of the police station. So as i sit here in my auto design class (which sucks unless you like computer programming, did bot sign up for this crap...) lookin out the window to see what the kids are drivin these days. A few lifted trucks... Meh... A riced out nissan... Ewww. A couple ricey subarus... Ill pass... But wait there sits my Belvedere, maybe there is still hope... Anyone for burnouts friday at 3...

We raced at the local industrial parkway, there was a nice dead end cul-de-sac, great for burnouts!
    There are a few local roads that were notorious for street racing.
    A 3rd gen Camaro raced a fox Mustang on one of them, Mustang lost... they ruined it for everyone
    After that they lowered the speed limit & posted police all over that road.

Comment

It's definately a different world, I wonder how many high school kids even know what a burnout is. I graduated in 1982 and I've got plenty of parking lot stories includung piling all my friends into my car at lunch and laying a patch of rubber heading over to Burger King.
      Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Well.......way back in the '60s, at one time we could leave during lunch
        hour with our cars.
        That all changed when guys got caught drag racing on a stretch of road
        behind high school.

Burnouts.......was the way to leave after school.
        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

my dad was 18 in '69.
          american reaching a barbaric peak, kids were waxing more than beating cars..all of them cars were very special, unless a kid decided to be one, let the rubber fly.

his hippy turning point was a beetle he got for free with mudders on the back, big carbs, a hood that did not shut (rear bonnet) and beating a chevelle 396 high on the wacky tobacky...
          he was not the only one surprised in 1969.

do you wanna know what there 3 pm was? I don't.

Then my own time was early 80s, mixing into high school years. the late malibus, etc. the last of slapping a v8 around. Chassis were not known to be much weaker. the climax for me was a kid getting killed in a coupe ventura down the road from my house. my dad made me and my brother watch as they extracted his face stretched from the laminated windshield. No hot rodding for us.

the 60s cars were freebees getting beaten. dumb crowd...only got dumber.

the last decade has been good. you got fuel injection for retards, and alot of parts fixing old chassis...alot for anybody.

not much more than the past decade can any kid just have fun. there is a dark age. That was my 3pm.

I chose my mechanical path to have a mission. coming from something that miserable. very few heroic drivetrains when I was 18. Mechanicals is my whole life, even now as disabled. The little boxer story...absolutely astounding. As much as I despise the midgety foriegn things..there is hope coming from places I never wanted it to..but that's time changing as well.
          torturing v8s, I am still not happy. I may stay stubborn..might not. the diesel is still intriguing more than a crankcase type LS series.
          Last edited by Barry Donovan; January 8, 2013, 01:23 PM.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post

We were still doing that in the 80's, I did a Power Brake in front of the school that closed down traffic in both directions on the street.... Man was that a smokey burnout!!!!.......

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyG View Post
              But wait there sits my Belvedere, maybe there is still hope... Anyone for burnouts friday at 3...
              Good for you, there you go, see there is still hope! Way back when I was in High School one of our town cops was Bunker Jones, a local legend that patrolled on a 3 wheel Harley, stuffed behind his Windshield was a white piece of paper with "AK1753" on it, my License plate number!
              sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

my youngest lived so close to school, it took longer to park than walk. He's 19 and I bought him (at his request- kinda, he ASKED for 4.30's!!) 4.10's for his truck for Christmas. All is not lost.
                Last edited by Beagle; January 8, 2013, 03:50 PM.
                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I used my dad's '73 Caddy with it's studded snow tires to burn down that stupid speed bump at the entrance to our HS parking lot. The tractor tire rubber with spikes made a wonderful smoke and spark show.
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

All is not lost. HS for me was '98-'01. Donuts in the dirt behind the HS in Washington State, no license (dumb). Burnout into a 180* turn onto the street that ran along the road the HS was on in Colorado Springs, racing either the Challenger, Cuda, or the brat with the VTEC Civic who kept pissing me off. Burnouts at the HS in IL were the norm...the one I laid down two hours before graduation, not so much. That place had an entrance road that had a Z-curve in the middle. I remember spinning out the Chrysler there, going into the cornfield, and coming out with two roostertails of mud behind me.
                    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                      I used my dad's '73 Caddy with it's studded snow tires to burn down that stupid speed bump at the entrance to our HS parking lot. The tractor tire rubber with spikes made a wonderful smoke and spark show.
                      Burnouts with studded snow tires......remember them well.
                      And yeah...the smoke and the sparks.
                      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post

hell yes it was.... everyday. at least on the tires that came on my car. the ones that i paid for MYSELF?? every friday!!
                        Last edited by 1badmonkey; January 8, 2013, 07:55 PM.
                        Charles

Comment

1991 ,my friend had a 78 Regal with an Olds 350 someone put in it. We would run to his house last period study hall to put on burnout tires at least twice a week. Then go back to school and raise hell! Great fun ,the kids today should try it!

Comment

I started high school in the fall of '77. The parking lot looked a Barrett-Jackson auction. Burnouts every day. It was glorious.

My buddy Tom that's two years older than me went to a neighboring HS where THREE of the kids in his school had Superbirds-they always parked together. Tom's first car at age 16 was a 70 Challenger RT/SE 440.

My nephew just turned 18. His dad gave him an '05 Monte Carlo two years ago. He still doesn't have his driver's license-no interest in it. I've tried to help him with his driving, and glad he doesn't have a license. Utterly clueless. The sad thing is that he's not the only kid I know that has no interest in driving. I took my test the day I turned 16-had waited my whole life for it.

Comment

My best friend's 18 year old son still dosen't have his license. As soon as I was old enough I got mine, took 2 tries but when I did it was like the world went from black and white to color. I still remember the first time I drove by myself on a beautiful Sunday morning down PCH to my friends house.
                              Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Working...
                              X