random "what the hell is wrong with that boy" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• random "what the hell is wrong with that boy" thread

I'm blaming BBR for this one. I'm off looking at 70's adult music and wind up on trip down music memory lane.

I hated the Police (the group) when I was a kid. How come I love them now? Is it because so much new stuff lacks ...er... anything anymore? Why is it that I'm now really enjoying stuff I used to hate?

Gawd. The boy aint right.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

I have always and will always hate the Beatles...

I used to hate the Stones but love them now, used to love Led Zeppelin but hate them now.

musical taste seems to change over years...

The Police are good, Sting alone....not so much.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

its the internet.

I listen to everything now. it is interesting..any songs that had a moving melody, they are replicated in some way, not original. I hear that everywhere.

the groups that never got targetted...one would still have to go the source.

led zeppelin. Who could dupe that? little pieces of melody, never a whole tune. Being that original is missing today.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Police - always have always will love their stuff, same goes for Zep - anyone that calls them the "fathers of heavy metal" is an idiot - they're so much more.

anyway - music is a very personal thing... to each their own.
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

There's a lot of music I used to like and don't now. MUCH of it is because of the same shit played over and over again on the oldies stations. You'd swear Light my Fire was the only freakin Doors song, Or Stairway the only Zeppelin song. Evil Ways/Black Magic Woman the only thing Carlos ever did. Mix it up DJ's.
          STUGOTS

Comment

Originally posted by groucho View Post
            There's a lot of music I used to like and don't now. MUCH of it is because of the same shit played over and over again on the oldies stations. You'd swear Light my Fire was the only freakin Doors song, Or Stairway the only Zeppelin song. Evil Ways/Black Magic Woman the only thing Carlos ever did. Mix it up DJ's.
            x100

Groucho have you ever tried Pandora? it's internet radio, you pick a handful of artists and they put together a playlist of those artists plus similar music. Most people in your shoes love it. I share the same 'tired of the same crap playing over and over' mentality, been a Pandora subscriber (pay the $34 a year, it's worth not having commercials) and can't believe how much good music I've discovered as a result of just picking a couple artists I like.
            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

love pandora I also have satellite in the car....I love the variety....so sick of broadcast radio...clearchannel can eat my fat white ass....almost as bad as Ted Turner deciding what Warner Brothers cartoons I can see and which ones I cant
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I've been using Pandora for what feels like forever. I've had a radio that catches my wireless signal, and that's all it does. Internet radio... it's a godsend, but I listen so much I know *THEIR* playlists. lmao.

The music genome project has been going for a while, they do a good job of suggesting music you might like. I was on Youtube when I came to the conclusion "I love this stuff" where I used to "Hate this stuff". Spent a while listening to The Cure, Echo and the Bunnymen, hell, I even listened to a couple of Smiths songs. Weird that I used to hate it and now I'm going "huh, some of this crap aint so bad"

Agree on radio burnout same 3 songs, I bitch about it all the time. Poor Monica... "Dammit, have these guys ever heard the phrase Discography?" lol.

OH hell, I know what it is. I'm getting nostalgic. Maybe it's time to go to a class reunion finally. haha.

I started with Murder by Numbers by The Police cuz I was thinking what Julie was gonna do to BBR... hahaha.
                Last edited by Beagle; January 8, 2013, 03:08 PM.
                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

We at work were just talking about this last night.
                  In Jr High and my first year of high school(76-80 time frame) music was just nothing at all to me,Dad had CW on the radio at home and in the car but I think it was more for traffic reports than anything(So.Cal). Music just wasn't a big deal.
                  When I got my first car,Mustang of course, I picked up one of those Pioneer FM/Cassette players then some 6X9s". and I found KFI ,,KMET,later KLOS.
                  I cant say I really like METAL but I've aways liked Aorosmith,'stones,The Doors and Van Halen,then Springsteen. Zeppelin at the time just didn't catch me,but I liked the first half of Stairway,the heavy part not so much.My Auto shop teacher turned me on to ZZTop.
                  In 78 IIRC, my parents said no way to me when I asked to go to Ontario for Cal Jam. But I did get the Record when it came out and was blown away, I also knew I MISSED IT! Frampton,Heart,Santana,Ted Nuggent, and a few side stage bands that became huge.

Now I've just basicly stopped my music clock at about 1990 and call it good.

I have to have The Doors in play when I'm driving the 101/405/134 around N.Hollywood it just works.
                  ZZTop on the long roads of west Texas.
                  Stones and Who if the weather is dreery.

NEVER Pink Flyoid,I turn it off everytime it comes on the radio,dont know why.

As I've gotten old(er) I've started to listen to Led Zeppelin and found a whole lot of very grundgy blues in there,real old deep south stuff,same with old ZZTop ,some say raw,Rolling Stones,The Who,Aerosmith,Heart,Doors my play list has to have music that takes some work to play,I want to hear the effort if that makes any sense.

Comment

XM is great to hear stuff you seldom hear,the local clas]ssic rock station beats mainstream stuff to death here ,same George Thorgood and Boston and freakin Pink FLoyd (which I dont like).It gets old. XM plays the b side of stuff and songs you havent heard in years.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
                      x100

Groucho have you ever tried Pandora? it's internet radio, you pick a handful of artists and they put together a playlist of those artists plus similar music. Most people in your shoes love it. I share the same 'tired of the same crap playing over and over' mentality, been a Pandora subscriber (pay the $34 a year, it's worth not having commercials) and can't believe how much good music I've discovered as a result of just picking a couple artists I like.
                      No Pandora (yet?), but my cable TV has several satellite type music channels that are really good. Plus they display several interesting facts about the artist as the song's playing. What I do have now...is in the past my Sister's burned me a ton of my favs on CD's...........and I've since loaded them to an MP3 player that Monk generously sent to me. That little Gizmo has a ton of my music, FM stations, full function EQ and a buttload of other features.
                      STUGOTS

Comment

lots of tastes...Aerosmith then...still Aerosmith...The rest varies from swing to modern jazz to country,,,just like all kinds as long as it is done well... Kindof laugh when I think of hot rod music...a mix of jazz and funk better known as Junk...
                        Patrick & Tammy
                        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

My music tastes have only expanded over the years. I can't say I don't like any particular genre of music. Yes, there are a few rap songs I like, mostly the early stuff. I gained an appreciation of classical music when I was young and watching Bugs Bunny. I gained an appreciation of '50 and '60's rock n roll from going to car shows.

I am not a huge fan of the Beatles, I do like the White Album. Not much of a fan of Led Zeppelin has a whole, but they have some great music.

I'm still a child of the '80's. I was in sixth grade when MTV hit the airwaves and that music has stuck with me this whole time. I still listen to that era the most. But, I have several areas of my life that there is different music I really like to listen to. During the late '70's I roller skated in winter and the music from that time of my life is still with me. And, there are other times in my life that I relate to music.

My music tastes are probably not that liked by others, but I don't care. It is a very personal thing. If you listen to music because you are trying to impress other people, you are missing out on a lot.
                          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I used to like MASH now I can't stand it.
                            Last edited by LORENSWIFE; January 8, 2013, 06:28 PM.
                            That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

My music is what I like and it's eclectic and random. That said, I still get looks when my auto-play jumps from Powerman 5000 to old-school and uncensored Outhere Brothers...
                              Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Working...
                              X