Unwelcome Mailing From Hot Rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unwelcome Mailing From Hot Rod

Did anyone else get an unsolicited DVD from Hot Rod? Mine is a How-To on body work. It showed up at the house a few weeks back. Anyhow, now I'm getting annoying letters that I either need to send them money for it or send it back to them.

As far as I'm concerned, to Hell with them. I didn't ask for it, I didn't want it, and if they want it back they can send someone to the house and if I happen to be here I'll hand it over rather than put it in the trash.

Anyone else?

Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; January 9, 2013, 10:18 PM.

You didn't order it, thus you do not need to pay for it..
    About returning it? I don't know the legality of it but like you, I'd keep it till they came knocking..
    Or use it for a skeet.. Or a "deafie wind chime"

Comment

Yep, Yep, yep. I just throw 'em in a drawer . . . never even take 'em out of the package.

To me, it's the mail equivalent of a squeegieman. Don't feed 'em and maybe they'll go away. "AOL was the worst and flooding your mailbox with disks you didn't want. Sad to see SIM follow that failed "push" business model.

Comment

You didn't order, you're under not legally obligated to pay for it. They can suck it.

I got one a couple years ago. I got a couple letters. Never paid.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

cost of goods anb bulk mailing, if 1 guy in 20 pays, they're making money? That's SI ...

ahh, hey Dan, do you have a mailing label? Put their address as the Return Address and the Delivery Address and drop it in the mail with no postage. I'm okay with giving it back to them, but I'm not gonna pay for getting it back to them.
          Last edited by Beagle; January 10, 2013, 05:35 AM.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

They did that several years ago.........forgot what I got but I just
            threw it in the DVD pile.
            Bad marketing tool if you ask me.
            Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

I got the same dvd about 3 months ago and felt the same way you did Dan when the letters started. After the third letter I decided to return it just to make it go away, hopefully that will be the last one.

Comment

I got one a few years ago about "How to disassemble a car for a restoration" which was utterly useless to me. I didnt order it, so it went in the chickenshit folder.

Comment

I always keep everything someone sends me and I don't order, figure they will get the message and not send any more, never reward bad behavior, I have one some where I need to watch.
                  http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                  1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

I'm guessing that the HRM staff has little to nothing to do with this. I mean, how many hotrodders are going to play this game - we're a pretty independent bunch, quick to raise a middle finger. Maybe among subscribers of Popular Quilting, but NOT us guys. I'm sure they don't have much $$ invested in a DVD but they're out the mailing costs for the DVD and for the follow-up letters. Hopefully they'll get the message.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                      I'm guessing that the HRM staff has little to nothing to do with this. I mean, how many hotrodders are going to play this game - we're a pretty independent bunch, quick to raise a middle finger. Maybe among subscribers of Popular Quilting, but NOT us guys. I'm sure they don't have much $$ invested in a DVD but they're out the mailing costs for the DVD and for the follow-up letters. Hopefully they'll get the message.

Dan
                      Roger that. It's SI marketing I bet. Funny group to send it to though. Most of us file it under S for sh*t kinda like Milner does in American Graffiti.
                      Last edited by Beagle; January 10, 2013, 07:03 AM.
                      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Had someone claiming to be acting on behalf of HRM send me one of those DVDs a year or so ago. Seemed pretty sleazy to me. Check out this page:

Post Office on unsolicited merchandise

Especially this part:

Furthermore, it is illegal for a company that sends you unordered merchandise to follow the mailing with a bill or dunning communication.

If you are aware of violations of the federal law prohibiting the mailing of unordered merchandise, or if you have personally had difficulty with such items--especially if you are sent statements demanding payment for the merchandise--you should contact you local postmaster or the nearest Postal Inspector.

Comment

I suppose they could claim that they didn't demand payment as they offered an alternative (send it back) but that's certainly a fine line. I hope SBG chimes in here.

Dan

Comment

Throw it in the trash and don't worry about it.

And throw the next few letters in the trash too.
                            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I've been recycling the letters. Unfortunately there's no way locally to recycle the disc so it'll go in the trash when I get a round toit. I just posted this because I wondered how others dealt with it - and if it annoyed them like it did me.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X