monster weld

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• monster weld

this weld was too big to tuck into another thread.

after making the assembly with a large lathe.. a press fit,
    instructions for preheat, specific cooldown, more machining.

I saw my subarus flywheel along the way with that center wheel in this video, analogous of course. my own is 43 pounds with clutch..that is quite an inertia to keep up to end points (transaxles). Add a four low gear set to that. A place like seattle must have less gravity, explains where their concept of subarus went too, I guess. (old subarus are not strong enough for what its given). I was under the impression subarus were tough...it ended up the craziest offset in steel compiled to work getting done I have ever encountered.

look at what this machinist is doing for just 2000 rpm runtime.

us car people still got it easy.

there is a part 1 through four..adds up to alot of video time.

the preheat he was talking.. I learned it the hard way on a subaru rear crossmember. I could not figure out why it took four welds all over the pipe randomly to finally win, over a period of four years.

that was called "relieving the weld stress".. I took a several year version, but got it done the same.
    I actually have a little propane torch for the next project on the rear tube. free education out there..anyone can buy a welder.

kinda like a camera...anyone can point and shoot.

I learned all the process..except the preheat. the little awd has a big big load number unknowable. I have concluded almost 3 times the weight of car (6000 pound beam).
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; January 10, 2013, 07:03 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Barry, you find some of the most interesting stuff. That is pretty cool.

Ron
    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Ward View Post
      Barry, you find some of the most interesting stuff. That is pretty cool.

Ron
      Totally! Just get your boxer3main decoder ring out & Barry's posts become very educational.

Comment

Originally posted by tardis454 View Post
        Totally! Just get your boxer3main decoder ring out & Barry's posts become very educational.

not understanding me is not unsderstanding alot of things.

tard is the first part your nick...where is my decoder ring?

does anyone realize that one man picked up a chunk of steel thicker than every bridge in the united states of america and welded something that will out last the twin towers?

why do cars use the scrawniest steel possible. I even remember my dads rig twisting a driveshaft to the point of looking like a dunkin donuts cruller.

that vid..strangely inspiring. He was still speaking about it as if a small piece getting worked over.

another wave length the rest of us don't live on.
        Last edited by Barry Donovan; January 11, 2013, 11:04 AM.
        Previously boxer3main

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
          not understanding me is not unsderstanding alot of things.
          tard is the first part your nick...where is my decoder ring?
          I'm one of the few that 'does' understand you Barry, not trying to offend..

Comment

That fellow in the video is one sharp cookie. Obviously, that is not the first time he has done something like that.
            It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

That gentleman's YouTube channel is fascinating. Along with him a user called MrPete222 has great videos on machining, fabricating, and cool old machines.
              Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

Originally posted by SSChevyManiac View Post
                That gentleman's YouTube channel is fascinating. Along with him a user called MrPete222 has great videos on machining, fabricating, and cool old machines.
                I'll go check that one out. I threw myself at a machinist problem when I was a teen..this stuff is a dream to see for free.

here is the next part of that weld, machining down to with half a thousandths, radius traced finish. incredible.

At the end he made a remark about machining welds to a finish to be evn stronger, by math of a shape.... I learned something from this one. I did not know that about welds. I thought you were supposed to leave the pile of ugly alone.

edit:
                I was subscribed to the mr. pete one..not sure what happened.
                "the how to tap/drill a straight hole".
                I did it my own way for a monojet carb to intake, wanted to see how he did it when that vid came out. similar. I actually went for one splayed hole on purpose as well..
                Last edited by Barry Donovan; January 11, 2013, 09:00 PM.
                Previously boxer3main

Comment

Working...
                X