Nuts and Stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuts and Stuff

I'm trying to retrace the events that have led up to today's situation, RE the hardware for Red's upgrade ....to drive hard on a road course.....because I did it and loved it....and the brakes cooked, so....I'm nearly getting lost in the plot. I'm serious, I have to rethink it every day. I always get back to it, always, oh YEAH, that's why.

SO....I got the ugly divorce wheels to clear the brakes that I needed to get, and some fatter tires to fit them and hold the corners better, and that's all so simple, right peewee?

Well, when I put the wheels on, the stock lug wrench in the truck would no longer fit into the hole where the lug nuts hide. And I already knew I needed a torque wrench to use between runs at the track, so I got a socket to fit that.

But what if I have a flat on the road? I'll just carry the torque wrench and socket along in place of the lug wrench....but you're not supposed to use a torque wrench to break things loose, only tighten them.

Okay, I need to carry a pull handle for that to replace the lug wrench.

But the folks who sold me the wheels suggested I should get a set of black spline drive lug nuts to go with the ugly wheels so I did. And they came with a spline drive socket that fits on the 13/16 socket that fits on the 1/2 inch drive pull handle.

What if I have a flat? Good thing because Red's factory spare was too low on air today to drive on it if I'd had to use it. They pumped it up at the tire store.

But if I use the spline drive lug nuts, will they work on the spare? No. They're too short. So now I need to carry 5 open lugs that will work on the spare that I can tighten with the 1/2 inch drive and the 13/16 socket, but I'll also need the spline drive socket to remove the ugly back wheel.

And what if, after I get the barakes on, I happen to have a flat on the front? Well, the stock spare wheel will not clear the Big Brakes so I'll need to take a wheel off of the back, take a wheel off of the front, put a big wheel on the front and then the spare on the back.

You guys didn't tell me any of this stuff when I was getting into this. Y'all didn't say a word. But I'll bet you were all laughing - hey y'all, watch peewee do THIS! HAHAHah!!!!

Court's Evidence Exhibit One below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire Tools.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	879571
    Attached Files
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Oops, sorry pdub . Ain't it fun.
    "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

and the snowball starts LMFAO!!!
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Spare tire what's that??....

First thing to go when I got my car was the jack(factory jacks are death traps) and the spare tire(no donut on my car)..... Realize this the worst thing you can do is put a donut on one side of the rear and have the regular tire on the other side, they are not the same size and if you have a posi it will eat the clutches up in a hurry..... What I do when going on road trips is keep a tire plug kit in the car and a small compressor, that way if I get a nail or something I can just plug it and go on my way, and if it's a complete tire blow out, that is what AAA is for........

Comment

pdub, nevermind the Blower. I hear there is a sale on Nissan Leaf's this week.

pffft.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Orange95Z View Post
            It is, and it would be even more so if I ever get to the point of DRIVING the &^%$#@# thing!

Comment

Originally posted by Orange95Z View Post
              You better protect the jewels when your around Sue Unit..........

Comment

Just buy another ugly black one for a spare...
                I do not usually carry a spare in the 57.. Somebody hacked the tire hole before I got it,
                The truck has noplace to put it and is in the way..
                You could see if the donut from another car will work.. What comes from the factory with big donuts?

Comment

It's a slippery slope, my friend.

At this point, I would just relax and enjoy the ride.
                  "First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                    Just buy another ugly black one for a spare...
                    I do not usually carry a spare in the 57.. Somebody hacked the tire hole before I got it,
                    The truck has noplace to put it and is in the way..
                    You could see if the donut from another car will work.. What comes from the factory with big donuts?
                    In my case the donut problem isn't about "big," it's about "thick." There's too many threads hanging out for the spline nuts to go all the way down. And I'm not very savvy of course, but I initially think a 17-inch donut is uncommonly large except for SUV's.

Anyhow, it's all for laughs. I'm laughing instead of violently breaking something valuable around the house. This is all supposed to be fun, right? Breathe peewee.....breathe. It's all okay. Mantra. It's fun. It's fun.

Comment

Even those who have done things before, "forget" the little things. It is FUN..
                      Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                          I often forget that I'm making fun of a rookie (me) trying to rouse rabble on a Big Leagues forum. That's my bad. How often I forget.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                            In my case the donut problem isn't about "big," it's about "thick." There's too many threads hanging out for the spline nuts to go all the way down. And I'm not very savvy of course, but I initially think a 17-inch donut is uncommonly large except for SUV's.

Anyhow, it's all for laughs. I'm laughing instead of violently breaking something valuable around the house. This is all supposed to be fun, right? Breathe peewee.....breathe. It's all okay. Mantra. It's fun. It's fun.
                            Get a cheap rim that will fit Red and. Tire that will work.. No need to be spendy..
                            When I wimp out and carry a spare (2hr road trip one way) I carry a stock Nova 14 incher, and a piece of wire with 5 lug nuts..
                            Since I carry a basic socket set and tools in the car anyway.. It doesn't matter ...
                            Trip A would work for you?

Comment

Seriously, this is why The Almighty invented AAA. I fix flats these days with a cell phone.

Enjoy the ride -

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X