No announcement yet.

Nuts and Stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you could carry a plug kit and a 12v compressor and deal with most of the flats you get - at least good enough to get you to a tire store

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
      I often forget that I'm making fun of a rookie (me) trying to rouse rabble on a Big Leagues forum. That's my bad. How often I forget.

KAWASAKI 0.5'' 12V Impact Wrench Kit Sold by Sears SearsItem# SPM7475430710 | Model# 841337
      50.99 from Sears.

or leave a breaker bar in with the tire... 12.00 from Harbor Freight.

I'd do the wrench, and put it and my extra lugnuts and a bottle of fast orange and a roll of paper towels in this:

10.49 at Sears. Put a hammer and some screwdrivers and at least a pair of vice grips in there too.

Never heard a guy bitching about getting to buy tools before. You sure you don't want a nice apron instead?

hehe. Okay, I'll quit picking on you if you're gonna cry like that.

this junk works too, comes with a compressor. or this?

they will both fit in that tool bag as well.
      Last edited by Beagle; January 11, 2013, 01:51 PM.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

"or leave a breaker bar in with the tire... 12.00 from Harbor Freight.

I'd do the wrench, and put it and my extra lugnuts and a bottle of fast orange and a roll of paper towels in this:"

Beags I've bought stuff from everybody on the list except for Hazard Fraught so far.

I appreciate the learnings. With the manual wrench, I've got all of that already except for the Calvin Klein designer bag. Don't want to go quite that far.
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

The 10.00 toolbag is to keep all that other crap from rolling around. Get some velcro and staple it or sew it to the carpet and the bottom of the bag to keep the bag from flopping around?

my 98 GT had some room between the cover for the spare and the tire - it had a Cobra spare so it would go over big brakes (at the time). There was room even in a convertible for a small bag with some tools in it. Not much, but enough to keep them from flopping around under hard cornering. If it'll fit between the tire and the cover you are golden. You may want to duct tape some rags or bread tie wrap some rags to your breaker bar to keep it from being metal on metal and clanking if it fits down there. 1/2" pipe insulation may work too?
          Last edited by Beagle; January 11, 2013, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
            The 10.00 toolbag is to keep all that other crap from rolling around. Get some velcro and staple it or sew it to the carpet and the bottom of the bag to keep the bag from flopping around?

my 98 GT had some room between the cover for the spare and the tire - it had a Cobra spare so it would go over big brakes (at the time). There was room even in a convertible for a small bag with some tools in it. Not much, but enough to keep them from flopping around under hard cornering. If it'll fit between the tire and the cover you are golden. You may want to duct tape some rags or bread tie wrap some rags to your breaker bar to keep it from being metal on metal and clanking if it fits down there. 1/2" pipe insulation may work too?
            I'm already thinking I'll need a dang trailer for the floor jack, the tools and power bleeder crap to change the brake pads from street to track and back , and the...the....Red will look great towing a little trailer.....NOT. Timeout ref! Dang.....

Comment

no big deal on the lugs.
              the factory opens are as dumb as acorn (which is banned from most racing)

I too stepped up to a 1 of a kind lug nut, well worth whatver extras needed. some are even washered separate..this allows for pairing a combo of my choosing.

head towards professional, more buttons to press.

add a whole ricer car origin to that.

one of my favorite things to do...
              rip some odd number wrench stripping fine thread metric out of the hole and bore it for a "3/8ths american course"

Last edited by Barry Donovan; January 11, 2013, 02:20 PM.
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

You still have the truck, right? Why not just get a nice covered trailer and tow Red everywhere? You could even tow him to work and take him out at lunch time on days with perfect weather.

Have we ruined your fun little red car yet? J/K, of course.

Dan

Comment

Jeez peewee..... I actually DRIVE my hotrod so...my back seat has 2 60lb toolboxes, a 50lb floor jack and handle, and a sufficient spare is in the trunk. I also have 2 jackstands on the floor in the front. If anything breaks, i'm ready buddy. If i think i'm gonna race someone, i just remember i'm delusional. Buying tools is fun and addictive. I don't see a problem. get over it.
                  Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                    You still have the truck, right? Why not just get a nice covered trailer and tow Red everywhere? You could even tow him to work and take him out at lunch time on days with perfect weather.

Have we ruined your fun little red car yet? J/K, of course.

Dan

Dan....

Hmmmmmm. No, nothing will ruin the fun with my "little red car". It's just kinda more kinds of fun than I thought.

HMMMMM.. My "little red car." That sounds like....well, what about your two-toned Big Truck? I have video from the start line at Wilmington, where you...

Hmmmm. And Mike.....well, I think I'm getting dog-piled onto here. And that's fun. And that's fair. And that's fun.

Comment

I'm already thinking I'll need a dang trailer for the floor jack, the tools and power bleeder crap to change the brake pads from street to track and back , and the...the....Red will look great towing a little trailer.....NOT. Timeout ref! Dang.....
                      No trailers, Red has to run independently wherever he goes. He drives, he races, he brings my pdub back home safe.

Comment

Its a journey Pdub, not a destination.

Beags is giving you some excellent advice. Every car I own, doesn't matter if i drive it or not, has a bag with the tools suggested, and add in a set of jumper cables.

What's this about changing pads at the track?
                        I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
                          What's this about changing pads at the track?
                          The StopTech brakes, after playing with them out the box, before putting them on....gosh it would be easy to change the pads.

The ones that I ordered are said to be street worthy and maybe a day at the track. I'll have to see. I'm sure I'm not that fast yet, driver-ability-wise. I'll have to see. But changing those pads is going to be WAY easy. Nearly instant. Well, get to them and do it. Getting to them is...wonder if the track folks like having brake fluid spilled on their ground.....

Comment

The StopTech brakes, after playing with them out the box, before putting them on....gosh it would be easy to change the pads.

The ones that I ordered are said to be street worthy and maybe a day at the track. I'll have to see. I'm sure I'm not that fast yet, driver-ability-wise. I'll have to see. But changing those pads is going to be WAY easy. Nearly instant. Well, get to them and do it. Getting to them is...wonder if the track folks like having brake fluid spilled on their ground.....
                            If your spill'n brake fluid while changing your pads your doing it wrong......

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                              If your spill'n brake fluid while changing your pads your doing it wrong......
                              It's been a lot of years since I've done it. Used to be, you had to open the bleeder and pry the pads away from the rotor as Step 1, to be able to undo the springy clip-thing that held them in place.

I'm amazed at these StopTechs - you basically open the hood and drop them in and the hood holds them in place. Cool stuff (to me at least).

If you guys don't make fun of me taking on all of this, I will. Somebody will, and I'll beat you there if you're at all slow about it.

Comment

10.00 , get some pipe insulation from the Home Depot. I can't help you with the Apron, you haven't said what color you like yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X