Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you actually buy a breaker bar?
    thats crazy.

is this not beautiful. I think its spectabulous.

I got mad and made my own ten times stronger in ten seconds...out of a ratchet.

hello china.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Peewee, you have to match the pads to the rotors. If you are going to change pads at the track, you should be changing rotors also. For pads to work effectively, they transfer material to the rotors.

If you want track pads and rotors, you need to change to them at home and then drive carefully to the track.
      I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
        Peewee, you have to match the pads to the rotors. If you are going to change pads at the track, you should be changing rotors also. For pads to work effectively, they transfer material to the rotors.
        Hmmmmm that makes makes sense Bob, and I'm not at all prepared to do all of that at this point. I told the guys at MM what I wanted to do with the car and they set me up with a pad that is suitable for the street with "an occasional track day." They even called me back before they shipped to confirm what tires I was running to make sure the pads were okay. I got matching pads for the stock rear brakes to round it out.

Gosh the thought of having different rotors for different pads makes my head spin. You could buy a decent beater for the price of the one brake kit.

I'm trying to remember, but I'm pretty sure they talked like changing the pads at the track if need be was a pretty common thing, so that's a new twist to me. Well, it's all new to me. Every bit of it. At my current skill level (0.1) I guess I'll eventually go run what I've got and see what I do to it.
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
          It's been a lot of years since I've done it. Used to be, you had to open the bleeder and pry the pads away from the rotor as Step 1, to be able to undo the springy clip-thing that held them in place.

I'm amazed at these StopTechs - you basically open the hood and drop them in and the hood holds them in place. Cool stuff (to me at least).

If you guys don't make fun of me taking on all of this, I will. Somebody will, and I'll beat you there if you're at all slow about it.
          I normally don't break open the bleeder, I just use a big set of channel locks and squeeze the piston back into the caliper pushing the fluid back up into the brake reservoir..... If the caliper has two pistons just leave the pad in the caliper and use that to push both pistons in at the same time, that way you don't take the chance of popping one piston out while pushing the other one in... Also do one side at a time, I've learned the hard way and pushed the piston in on the driver side caliper and had the piston in the passenger side caliper pop out.... It's really no big deal if it happens, but it does make a mess and putting the piston back in the caliper can be a bitch sometimes..... You can pop open the bleeder, but after your done your going to need to bleed the brakes and make sure no air got in the system......

As for having pads for the track and pads for the street don't waste your time, like Bob said, the pads need to be matched to the rotor with the type of fiction material being used, which only happens when you bed in the pads when they are new.... Believe it or not changing from one pad to another could actually make the car not brake as good and you'd actually be defeating the purpose of the better pads....

Saying that I suggest you use EBC Yellow Stuff brake pads, they are a Full Race pad that can be used for street use, I run them on my '99 Camaro and they work excellent, also the more miles you get on these pads the better they work, so while driving around town you'll be breaking them in for track duty..... I would also suggest just upgrading the stock rotors to ones that are drilled and slotted, the combination of the drilled and slotted rotors and the EBC yellow stuff pads will be a night and day difference in the way the car will brake, you might even feel you don't need those big expensive brakes after all.......

Fallow this link read what they say about the pads.... For me they are the only pads worth buying and the only ones you'll ever see me recommend....

Last edited by TC; January 13, 2013, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Cool stuff. Thanks TC and Bob!

Did I ever say I love BangShift?

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
              Cool stuff. Thanks TC and Bob!

Did I ever say I love BangShift?
              .. Don't think I ever heard you sy that, Pdub...

Comment

A Song Called "No Name"

Around about 1996, we were trying to make music in a restaurant/dive called For What It's Worth in Rock Hill SC. That was practically the only place to play.

It was me and Wyatt and Keith. We fell out of the Main Street Blues Band and went astray on our own.

Like with all musicians, there was lots of drama amongst the players. I don't miss that part, but I do miss playing out. Like, Keith and his wife broke up and Wyatt "ran off" with her. And he and she destroyed Keith's saltwater aquarium trying to move it out of the house. Silly shit like you wouldn't believe.

Talk about dysfunctional...well, I'm not one to judge. At least I try not to.

They were into pot and drugs, and I was into music. If you're into music, what else can you do but to interface with musicians? You have to.

Wyatt....what a talent on bass. Well, none of us ever "made it," not that we were trying to. I thought it was all about having fun.

And Keith, he hit the drums so hard there was no mixing him out of it.

This song was recorded through hi Z area mics on a reel-to-reel deck. That was the edge of technology at the time. In my opinion, it's all about Wyatt, on bass. It was a bass line and a sound he invented, and we built a song around it. A song that goes nowhere. A song we couldn't even decide what to name (aka Musician Emotional Wars). So it was called No Name when the smoke cleared.

I'm just rattling around in the middle of the night and came across this, a trip down memory lane. Mostly good memories, but we sure has fun sucking, trying to make some noise.

I was experimenting with stomp pedals and extreme reverb on the amp and when we played this, the place was completely empty. At the end of the night. Nobody else heard this, and that's probably a good thing.

EDIT: Boy did I ever screw that up, wanted it to be a new thread. Put the pot roast in the crock pot and go to bed peewee, it'll take 9 hours to cook.
                Last edited by pdub; January 13, 2013, 03:05 AM.

Comment

How did you manage that.......? too much sticky mickey? we've heard about you musicians...........? Go to Sears and buy some tools...you'll forget all about your foopa.
                  Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Working...
                  X