Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Know someone to build or re-build a 351C in So. Cal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Know someone to build or re-build a 351C in So. Cal?

I want to put some feelers out there for some options on some work.

My step-Dad in southern California bought a '70 Mustang with a 351 (C?) that has it's dial turned up to 11 with high compression and solid lifters with .600+" lift, etc. and he really isn't the tear into the engine kind of guy, and simply wants to enjoy cruising it.

So, is there any one, or know of any one in southern California, preferably the inland empire area, that would be willing to either build a new 351 for him or rebuild his turned down several notches? He is reasonable on fair market value of labor, etc. Something with a little rumble too it, but minimal maintenance requirements over the long haul.

He may take another route or simply sell the car, but I know you guys are pretty resourceful and helpful. Thanks.
    Last edited by TheSilverBuick; January 11, 2013, 08:48 PM.
    Escaped on a technicality.

I've heard really great thing about JBA in San Diego. They started out building Fords only but now do all makes. A guy at my work had them build a mild 350 Chevy for his Studebaker and is very happy with it. He also said price-wise they were comparable to most other shops. I know San Diego isn't Inland Empire but it's not too far.

custom engines designed, built and tuned for your specific vehicle and application, AntiCrate engines are made individually to your specific needs
    Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

My machinist is great and fairly priced, but he is in venice.

CC has been using a shop out in the inland empire, but I cant remember the name.

Oh yeah. Call chad. He has three engines in various builds right now and is obviously using a machine shop out there.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I've seen CC list this place a few times http://lnrengine.com/ , they're in Santa Fe Springs. I think they also use a shop in Mira Loma which is next to Ontario but I can't remember the name.
        Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

This guy is a hotshot when it comes to Pontiacs. Yet, he's in the Inland Empire and could either help your step dad or point him in a different direction...

Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

Thanks guys and keep the ideas rolling in. I don't know what route my step-dad is going to go down, but I like having options to tell him when he calls.

A little more back story, he bought this clean mustang and the engine had like 1,500 miles on it when he got it, and I think the rings have either unseated or failed to seat, but haven't heard the actual diagnosis. Basically started burning a ton of oil by 2,500 miles. I already told him it is a high maintenance engine and if any shop is going to take the time to pull the engine apart it would be the opportune time to dial it down a couple notches. For all I know the shop that built the engine may warranty it as the seller has been pro-actively involved in sorting out the issues, where my suggestions to him to see if they could dial it down some then still apply.

I like Chad, but that mo-fo is busy busy =P I'd do the work for my Step-Dad if I lived in CA.

Comment

Us step-Dads around the world applaud your obviously positive relationship with the guy. I'm lucky that way, too.

Might ask Milner for some ideas on that engine. I'm sure it'll need less cam and maybe the port restrictors if it has the 4V heads - those ports are HUGE. I know John will have excellent suggestions.

Dan

Comment

If I were building it I'd look for ideas, but I'm hoping who ever he takes it too knows their stuff already with these engines.

Comment

Jim Grubbs Motorsports in Valencia,CA.He is a machinist and engine builder,specializes in Fords,but will work on anything.He can do just the machine work,or build the complete engine,new or old. Phone # 661-257-0101. ROY.
                  Real Race Cars Have THREE Pedals!

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                    Thanks guys and keep the ideas rolling in. I don't know what route my step-dad is going to go down, but I like having options to tell him when he calls.

I like Chad, but that mo-fo is busy busy =P I'd do the work for my Step-Dad if I lived in CA.
                    I meant he has to be using a machine shop because he is in the process of building three engines now. I didnt mean for him to build it.
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Randal - swapping the 4v closed compression chamber heads for 2v open chambers is the fastest and easiest way to drop the compression ratio.

With that he'll want to swap to a performer like intake for the 2v heads - the headers on the 4v heads will be a bit too big for the 2v heads but they will work for a cruiser.

Factory compression ratio on 4v clevelands in that time frame was 11.25:1 - if the heads or block have been milled - you know where it goes from there.

Heads are easily identified by a 4 or 2 cast into the head in the corner next to the valve cover rail near the intake face.

I probably have a mild cam and lifters or two laying around my shop he can have for shipping if he goes that route - I'll have to make sure they haven't surface rusted while sitting in their boxes.
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Thanks John for the education on Ford heads and the cam offer. My Mom figured I'd hear from him this weekend, but the weekend came and went so I don't know what route he is going down, or if he has even decided yet.

Comment

It sounds like he's got a pretty serious mill in that car - it's a shame - if he was closer I'd trade him straight up for the 52,000 original 351c2v I have in my shop - and I'd even throw the labor for the swap in for free! LOL - hipo cleveland stuff isn't cheap.
                          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I have a fresh 2V I would trade for his engine too, if it was closer. I have some 73 vintage 4V heads I would be willing to trade if he has the small chamber 70-71 4v heads. That way he could drop the compression and keep the intake and headers he has now.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                              Thanks John for the education on Ford heads and the cam offer. My Mom figured I'd hear from him this weekend, but the weekend came and went so I don't know what route he is going down, or if he has even decided yet.
                              2v open chamber heads have no quench - it may be less prone to ping with the 4v heads than the open chamber 2v heads. The Aussie 2v heads have quench pads and something smaller than full race ports sized for a 600 inch pro stock mill. haha. There are Aussie 2v heads on Ebay quite often for not a ton of coin.

Kaase did a lot of work with these guys - http://www.chiheads.com.au/3v_185cc.php

Have him count the valve cover bolts, 8 for C , 6 for W. They put both in them. There were a lot of Windsor'd Mustangs, which might make things a little easier.
                              Last edited by Beagle; January 14, 2013, 04:39 PM.
                              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                              X