Magazine motor builds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
    ... or maybe the Weiand Stealth is that good.
    I have one on the Capri! I have had 3 intakes on that car Stealth has been the best.

I have learned alot from mags over the year, love the jy builds, take a truck motor put a cam and headers on it, then go beat on it and have fun!
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

Comment

I miss the junkyard engine bulds CC was doing back in the early 2000's. those issues grabbed my attension and were written for guys like me...Hammer fisted back yard gys...not the technical gurus that they seem to pander too...a lot of the info in todays stuff is beyond my knowledge base...and it turns me off.

There were a few JY motors that were making 400hp on the dyno and to me that was something I could do with my tools and budget...not anymore...
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
        the fundamental problem with a dyno is the motor isn't built for a specific car, with a specific purpose, for a specific place - yes, many of them end up in editor's cars, but they aren't built for a car.
        I don't see that as a "fundamental problem with a Dyno." A dynamometer is a tool, your complaint seems an issue with how magazine editors decide to do their articles IMO. Since I'm not a magazine editor, I'll refrain from comment. I wouldn't want to pretend I'm an expert in a field where I have zero experience
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

When I get one of my cheap subscription mags in the mail I just look at the pictures and turn pages. I've personally seen cars perform far less than what was claimed in the mags thru the years to trust any of what I read. Not saying it's all BS....but enough to beware
          STUGOTS

Comment

Articles with dyno data are an interesting reference - especially when they are complimented by a full list of parts, part numbers, and costs.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by groucho View Post
              When I get one of my cheap subscription mags in the mail I just look at the pictures and turn pages. I've personally seen cars perform far less than what was claimed in the mags thru the years to trust any of what I read. Not saying it's all BS....but enough to beware
              This is what I think, too..

I do not think repeatability is possible.. Close, maybe.. Exact clone.. No

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                Articles with dyno data are an interesting reference - especially when they are complimented by a full list of parts, part numbers, and costs.
                It'd be pretty damn close if it was this way..

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
                  I don't see that as a "fundamental problem with a Dyno." A dynamometer is a tool, your complaint seems an issue with how magazine editors decide to do their articles IMO. Since I'm not a magazine editor, I'll refrain from comment. I wouldn't want to pretend I'm an expert in a field where I have zero experience
                  awww... it's easy to play Magazine editor for a day! I'll think about having to work for SI for a while, then slit my wrists. Just like my real job.

I don't think all magazine engines are built to make hero numbers. The latest BBC build CC has been on is running through some great budget and purpose iterations. I saw a 455 build not so long ago (Olds) that was a total cruiser build, it would have been a badass street motor in something heavy. It didn't make hero numbers but I bet it would fry tires for a block and idle like a Cutlass should.

Sure there are a lot of hero number builds - and the discussion has been out for a while now that 500 hp is the new 400 hp, 700 hp is the new 500 hp, and "everyone" seems to think you can hook 1000 hp on the street. I know there are guys on here that can but not many and it ain't me. It's what the guys buying parts from the advertisers want to see. You better get 500 hp out of your 350 or it's gonna get fifty pounds of hate mail and "My mom could..." crap.

Maybe not. I went out and bought parts to emulate the AFR185/393 Ford that Holdener did several years ago... so I guess I didn't learn anything as much as I looked at the build and the numbers it made and decided that was what I wanted. The build talked about port velocity and CSA and a few things I'd never given much thought to. Stuff I pay a helluva lot more attention to now. Stuff that makes you go Hmmmm... so I would call that learning, or at least thought provoking. I didn't go part for part, I made a couple of adjustments to suit my needs like a big dual plane instead of a Victor, and 8 degrees less cam and a point less compression. I bet it makes over 321 hp, won't stretch the ARP bolts, and doesn't hammer itself to death with pre-ignition events.

Is it the engine build setting you off or the discussion of intended purpose and what you should really be building for what you want? There's a reason why I won't build a 700 hp mill right now. I can't get 500 to hook.

The 421 hp dyno special gets guys hooked into buying junk for their cars, it's a successful advertising tool for the guys who pay the bills that keep the magazine afloat. I think everyone here understands that circulation doesn't pay the salaries, Advertisers do... and I don't want to sound like a whiney bitch, but if they aren't going to make the advertiser's parts look as good as they can, they'll be replaced by people who will. No mystery here to me anyway.
                  Last edited by Beagle; January 14, 2013, 03:58 PM.
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                    I have one on the Capri! I have had 3 intakes on that car Stealth has been the best.

I have learned alot from mags over the year, love the jy builds, take a truck motor put a cam and headers on it, then go beat on it and have fun!
                    all of the stuff I've read shows the RPM Air Gap and Stealth being as good or better than yesterday's single planes pretty much everywhere. Maybe I should LEARN that and shut up. lmao.
                    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                      all of the stuff I've read shows the RPM Air Gap and Stealth being as good or better than yesterday's single planes pretty much everywhere. Maybe I should LEARN that and shut up. lmao.
                      Don't you DARE learn to shut up!
                      You liven things up.. Makes me go hmmm. Even if you looove them Fuds!

Comment

Working...
                      X