GTA engine swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTA engine swap

Well, As a few of you know awhile back I replaced the freeze plugs on the drivers side of my original L98 350 motor. This ultimately didn't fix it since I am having freeze plugs fail in a counter clock wise fashion. Now the one inside the bellhousing is leaking bad. So basically they are all probably shot. Except the two new ones on the drivers side. I really hat to pull this motor out. It runs great. Hard to belve it has 200,000 miles on it. Any way, since i have to pull it, I think I'm going to put my old 290 horse 350 in for about 60 more horses. Been kind of looking for a S10 to put the T/A motor in with some vortec heads I've had for awhile ager all the freeze plugs get replaced. Oh well herewe go!
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Sounds like a project! I know nothing about engine installs in an S-10 and am proving it to myself daily. Hope to get back on mine today or tomorrow after I shovel out the shop a bit. Do you want a pair of the adaptor mounts for a SBC into an S-10? I have the old ones and they're yours for shipping.

Dan

Comment

Thanks Dan.I have some and the headers from my last one that the body got bad on. I'm having fun watching you do your unconventional S10 swap.
      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Is that the motor from the wagon?
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
        ​​​​​​

Comment

Do you want Russell and I to keep our eyes out for a rust-free truck? I see them from time to time but I wasn't in the market so I didn't notice the price. Russell is on CL all the time and he may have a better chance of finding you something. Lots of our NC vehicles are in pretty good shape but may need interiors and/or paint. Still better than holes!

Dan
          Last edited by DanStokes; January 14, 2013, 09:40 AM.

Comment

The 350 that will go in will be a 78 vintage that I had rebuilt . Smog heads with 194 intakes and a cam that spected like the old 350/350 horse and with 9 to 1 compression. I've had it in 2 s10 and one elcomino. I search Craigslist list in the up state s.c. section. But keep your eyes peaked for clean non runners about the second week of May. My oldest daughter will be graduating then so I'll be down around memorial day.
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

10-4! We can bring it here for a while until you can come scoop it up.

Dan

Comment

One thing leads to another! Sounds like fun to me - it's pretty rare to hear of freeze plugs leaking - safe to say you've gotten your money's worth from that mill!
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Freeze plugs rusted out after 25 years.Russell, that white on looks tempting. I already have another hood .But we'll wait. I really like to see them before I buy.Although Dan, your offer is tempting and may get me into trouble latter. Maybe won't wait till may but, definitely after the T/A is back on the road. I also have to admit that even though the power to weight ratio isn't as good, there is a clean late 70's early 80's C10 short bed in a friends barn with power everything. That would pull a trailer . We'll see.
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                  X