X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experimental cars

the t-bird query netted this -

whadya have?
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

It's coming up for sale (in somewhat disguised form) at Barrett-Jackson this week.

Comment

If I recall correctly those are the Pontiac Firebird concept, and the Lincoln Futura, yes? Loved some of the wacky stuff they did in the 60's. There was a 4 rotor wankel Corvette at one time as well.

Comment

I was just going to post that Vette, I loved those!

Also the Mercedes C-111, one of the coolest looking concept cars of all. Malcolm Bricklin totally ripped this off though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1280px-Mercedes-Benz_C111_1969_frontleft_2010-04-08_A.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	866403
        Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

I thought this was cool.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Chrysler Turbine ... these will be back as the main "motorvation" for next generation hybrid cars. They can be designed to run on virtually any fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by OHC 6 Sprint View Post
              Chrysler Turbine ... these will be back as the main "motorvation" for next generation hybrid cars. They can be designed to run on virtually any fuel.

that is an interesting design.
              the smarts will be how slow they can go with it and grab a torque number. As turbines are 1000000 hp to 1000 foot pounds (sarcasm), its a bit insane.

A simple boxer would go another hundreds of years if they want balance and linear to rotation at a 50/50.

these extremes are just that.

some of the concepts, how they re emerge.. or seem way ahead.
              I thought deloreans career was yo-yo'd by manufacture, but there is many worldwide stories and designers.
              Last edited by Barry Donovan; January 16, 2013, 11:53 AM.
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
                that is an interesting design.
                the smarts will be how slow they can go with it and grab a torque number. As turbines are 1000000 hp to 1000 foot pounds (sarcasm), its a bit insane.
                Geared down to a flywheel where the induction motor/gen mates. In fact, I think Volvo was working on that concept years ago. Driving the turbine through a geared flywheel with a one-way clutch to improve acceleration from a dead stop. To be most efficient, the turbine should spool at a constant RPM and the Motor/gen should do all the hard work. Look for MPGe numbers well over double or triple what they currently are. Also, the turbine has so few moving parts that they'll go a half million miles before they need a rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by OHC 6 Sprint View Post
                  Geared down to a flywheel where the induction motor/gen mates. In fact, I think Volvo was working on that concept years ago. Driving the turbine through a geared flywheel with a one-way clutch to improve acceleration from a dead stop. To be most efficient, the turbine should spool at a constant RPM and the Motor/gen should do all the hard work. Look for MPGe numbers well over double or triple what they currently are. Also, the turbine has so few moving parts that they'll go a half million miles before they need a rebuild.
                  That's what I thought should be done! Heavy flywheel coupled to a turbine. Spool up to fixed or near fixed rpm, generate electricty for the motor and when coasting or short term idling shut fuel off to the turbine and let it free wheel with the inertia of the flywheel (adaptation of a blow off valve in the compression part of the turbine to aid in free wheeling?) and let the flywheel coast down in speed as power is needed until a threshold rpm then add fuel back into the turbine. Let the electric motor handle all the rpm cycling that was hard on the Chrysler turbine engine.
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

We used to see the turbine cars driving around in the Detroit area. They were fun to spot and every once in a while you would find the driver in the same restaurant or gas station of whatever and you could ask for their impressions (generally good). Chrysler leased or lent (forget which) a fleet of these to the general public to gather info to help decide their practicality. It was always a big score to see one.

Dan

Comment

Guessing most here haven't priced the cost to buy or rebuild a gas turbine engine. Plus, their efficiency is so crazy low, it's doubtful you'll ever see one in another car in this age of emissions regs, CAFE standards, etc. But they're totally cool!
                      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I've heard that the Sikhs are developing a turban car.......

Dan
                        Last edited by DanStokes; January 16, 2013, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Jesus, Dan...

Chrysler's turbine program was well done, and the highlight was it could run on damn near anything combustible. There's a story I've heard (verified or not, I don't know) that they took one on a promo to show what it could run on...France, Chanel No.5...Russia, vodka...Georgia, the local drink (though I heard it had seriously high EGT temps...) The program got shuttered when Iacocca went to the government for the loan guarantees.

\

As far as experimentals, I prefer these:

1989 Chevrolet XT-2

1994 Dodge Venom

John Coletti's Shinoda Boss Mustang and Jon Moss's ZL1 Camaro

1982 Corvette. No, seriously.

'85 Chevy Citation X/11 "Push Me Pull Me"
                          Last edited by BangShift McT; January 16, 2013, 04:21 PM.
                          Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
                            Guessing most here haven't priced the cost to buy or rebuild a gas turbine engine. Plus, their efficiency is so crazy low, it's doubtful you'll ever see one in another car in this age of emissions regs, CAFE standards, etc. But they're totally cool!
                            The purchase / rebuild cost would have to be compared on market. The cost of buying / rebuilding a Lycoming O540 compared to a BBC? Or an IO360 compared to an LS?

Turbines are the fodder of the aerospace and energy industries because of their usage. Get them into mainstream automobiles in significant numbers, and the life cycle costs should be significantly lower.

The waste heat is a huge issue with a turbine in rolling stock. It could be combined with a cogen steam circuit and ... well, we are talking about experimental cars now, aren't we?

Comment

I want to build the Johan kit of the Chrysler turbine one of these days. I like that Dodge Venom, that car would have been a great one.

Comment

Working...
                              X