Muscle Trucks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muscle Trucks?

Barry_R and I were just chatting on the phone and he mentioned the surprising volume of parts he's been selling to guys with pickups. I, too, have noticed more and more guys treating trucks not as slammed, dubs-wearing customs and not as lifted prerunners or 4x4s, but as plain old street machines and street/strip rides. All the magazines predicted that G-bodies would be the affordable street machines of the future, but it seems that it may be trucks instead. They are cheap, rear drive, take traditional V-8s, and already have beefy drivetrains.

My own 4x2 trucks include a 74 Chevy shortbed, a 78 Ford shortbed, and a 66 Ford shortbed.

Is anyone else into it?

Re: Muscle Trucks?

It seems to be fairly popular in my part of the country. I see a lot of guys doing small block conversions into S10's. Parts are cheap and you have a rear wheel drive platform to modify.

Comment

In my opinion, the only difference between a muscle car and a muscle truck is you can haul shit with a muscle truck...

Comment

My HOTROD truck is hopefully my 92 Dodge sb(lowrider),someday hoping to be powered with a mild 440,or maybe just a 360,the goal is to sound good and allow me to have fun.

My last hot rod truck was a 455 Buick powered Chevy cruiser. i lost interest in the GM's and went back to the Mopars.

Comment

for some fun, embarassing pictures of how I've been into it for the last 30 years, see if you can find my orange truck on my web page.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by HillbillySailor
            In my opinion, the only difference between a muscle car and a muscle truck is you can haul shit with a muscle truck...
            I've been known to carry lumber and make dump trips with the top down on the convertible ;D Who needs a truck when you got a Buick convertible?

I've actually always figured if I ever bought a full size 4WD Truck (GM) I'd have to drop a HIGH torque down low Pontiac 455 in it. I'd have to agree with you DF, I see lots of people with all sorts of engine mods on their trucks, but I live up in the hills were everyone owns a truck except me :-\
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I don't think you want to haul fire wood in that Buick! ;D

Comment

The trunk is as big as a Chevy Luv bed, even with the top down :P
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Sounds like a family could live in there! ;)

Comment

I don't know if it's a new thing. Many of the guys I cruised with back in the day had "muscle" trucks. Being from Nebraska, there were a lot more pick ups running around simply because they are the farmers workhorses of the last 75 years. Just like now, they came with V8 power, rear drive, and were cheap. A lot of guys had huge by large motors in those trucks. Mid 60's through the early 80's were the norm. Chevy and Ford made up the most of them. My close buddy, Bob Leach had a 78 Dodge that was pretty quick. It was the luxury version of the Lil Red Express Truck of the same year. And, Elcamino's were everywhere.

That's his in the background.
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Yeah I've got a muscle truck. 06 dodge with a cummins. Big exhaust, bullydog downloader, it has suprised a few racecars, hahaha, and you can tow ANYTHING!

Comment

my former show truck

(now sold)

Comment

Originally posted by HillbillySailor
                          Yep.

;D
                          Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                          1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                          1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                          1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                          1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                          1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

I'm into trucks.... muscle trucks.
                            Mopar didn't make any modern muscle cars when I wanted one.
                            The closest thing was a V8 Dakota. I bought one and have been hooked every since.

Right now I have a couple of Dakotas. A '00 4.7 Sport, and a '99 R/T. I turbo'd both of them.

My '00 4.7 Sport is my daily driver and has been turbo'd for over 6 years. Nobody made (or makes) anything for a 4.7 Dodge, so I made it all myself... in my garage. It's got a single T4 turbo with a .96 turbine and a 60-1 HiFi compressor. I also built an air/water intercooler and fuel rail cooling system that utilizes the factory air conditioning system for chilling the water. There's nothing like making 50° water for the intercooler while driving down the freeway on the way to work. I've raced it all over the place, (Pomona, Carlsbad/RIP CA, Heartland Park Topeka KS, Tucson's SIR, Firebird Raceway and Speedworld here in AZ, as well as used it as my tow vehicle for getting my other toys to the dunes. Almost 100K miles and about 600 timeslips.... poor thing!

David Frieburger - You probably don't remember it, but I remember you leaning under the hood of it at MATS few years ago when it didn't make any noise but was running mid-12's. It was great fun beating some of the trailered cars, then passing them and their tow rigs on the way back to Phoenix.
                            http://members.cox.net/duner/Turbo/RTnotTurboPage.html
                            http://members.cox.net/duner/Turbo/DunervsLethal.wmv

My newest project is my '99 Dakota R/T.
                            While people do make parts for it, and it's 5.9 Magnum - I still built the turbo and air/water intercooler system at home. I ran it supercharged for awhile, but grew tired of smoking the belts. Granted, I was trying to make too much boost with it, but it worked. (I just need to change the graphics on it) It's been so much fun building the parts and just plain playing with this truck. The performance difference between the blower and turbo has been outstanding! 6 tenths and 5 mph - on 2 psi less boost. So far the best timeslips are 10.90s @ 124+ mph. I'm still running the original unmolested '99 5.9 shortblock in it, but I've ported the heads and added an M1 intake and lumpy cam to go along with the single GT4202 turbo. I also built a unique air/water intercooler system for this truck - which also utilizes the factory AC system to chill the water. The intercooler is built into the airhat and bolts directly to the throttle body. This not only cools the intake charge, but sucks heat out of the throttle body and intake manifold as well.

I've made some recent improvements to the suspension of the truck, so I hope to improve on it's performance numbers.
                            I'm betting that the new 4,000 stall convertor along with the CalTracs and slicks will help some!

Comment

94 C1500, and 83 El Camino (Crunk)
                              HRPT 2004LH 2007LH 2008

Comment

Working...
                              X