X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 38P
    replied
    Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
    The really screwed up part is that I cant do anything in the family law realm without one of these blood suckers. So the lawyers wrote a law that required you to use one of them so they ensure someone will be profiting every time you need any little thing addressed.

Job security.
    Courts generally hate family law because it's so emotionally charged and it's now essentially a "no fault" system. Some think lawyers add a layer of objectivity and insulation to the family law system. However, I'd be shocked if anyone but a corporation is actually prohibited from going "pro se" (self-represented) in court. A law like that (i.e. applicable to individuals) would seem at first glance to have grave constitutional problems.

But unless one has unbeleeeeeeeevable discipline, outstanding academic skill, and an excess of free time to "read law", I wouldn't recommend self-representation in anything but the simplest of matters. A lot of the bread business lawyers pull down is from fixing messes that could have been avoided through legal advice beforehand. What was that old saying . . . "a lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client."
    Last edited by 38P; January 17, 2013, 06:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Thumpin455
    replied
    Originally posted by The Outsider View Post
    Dude! She had to have some travelin' bread . . . .

Seriously, lawyers hate bar complaints. So if you get ripped off by one, filing a complaint is a great way to protect the public. Also, many bar associations have a "fee grievance" committee to review improper billing complaints. Lawyers get disbarred all the time for neglect of client matters and for hinky financial transactions. So do what Judge Wapner would tell you to do . . . collect up all your papers, find out who polices lawyers in your jurisdictions, and seek redress in the bar disciplinary system.
    All of that is set and ready to go. I gave her the option of returning my retainer or actually doing what I hired her to do but without any more funds coming to her. If she takes the hard role, says suck it in not so many words, then the grievance gets mailed. She has until Monday COB. Tuesday morning the stuff gets mailed to the Supreme Court. If nothing happens within one month there, then its media time. People love a good story where a crippled war vet gets screwed over.

Leave a comment:

• 38P
    replied
    Originally posted by oldsman496 View Post
    I hired a lawyer when I got divorced. She was highly reccomended. She took $1650.00 of my money and two days later moved her practice to St. Petersberg Fl.
    Dude! She had to have some travelin' bread . . . .

Seriously, lawyers hate bar complaints. So if you get ripped off by one, filing a complaint is a great way to protect the public. Also, many bar associations have a "fee grievance" committee to review improper billing complaints. Lawyers get disbarred all the time for neglect of client matters and for hinky financial transactions. So do what Judge Wapner would tell you to do . . . collect up all your papers, find out who polices lawyers in your jurisdictions, and seek redress in the bar disciplinary system.

Leave a comment:

• Thumpin455
    replied
    The really screwed up part is that I cant do anything in the family law realm without one of these blood suckers. So the lawyers wrote a law that required you to use one of them so they ensure someone will be profiting every time you need any little thing addressed.

Job security.

Leave a comment:

• 38P
    replied
    Originally posted by peewee View Post
    6 minutes of professional consultation, dated and time stamped at 6:12 in the morning. So, he was masturbating in the shower thinking about how much money he would get from us and put that on the bill, itemized.
    Sorry, but that's at least 5/10ths of an hour . . . .

Leave a comment:

• oldsman496
    replied
    I hired a lawyer when I got divorced. She was highly reccomended. She took $1650.00 of my money and two days later moved her practice to St. Petersberg Fl. I never heard from her again, even after two yrs of constant letter writing and calling to all parties that i felt would listen to my plight. I learned that there is no such thing as 'malpractice', where it concerns the legal eagles.

Gee. I wonder why our Political system is so 'untrusted' by the average Joe?... Could it be that 97% of them are lawyers? Where does this trait to "get all you can any way you can" come from? Is it taught in classes at Harvard or Yale? I honestly wonder about such things.
    Last edited by oldsman496; January 17, 2013, 05:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pdub
    replied
    Originally posted by Bamfster View Post
    That would be one heck of a punch line !
    If I only still had that bill, I'd scan it and post it right here. It was just disgusting.

Hence, my dis-love for lawyers. I know they aren't all evil. Well, maybe they can be, and then go on to be judges and politicians. After all, that whole line of work is based upon job experience, as is everything else.
    Last edited by pdub; January 17, 2013, 04:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bamfster
    replied
    Originally posted by peewee View Post
    So, he was masturbating in the shower thinking about how much money he would get from us and put that on the bill, itemized. The bill was 9 pages long.
    That would be one heck of a punch line !

Leave a comment:

• pdub
    replied
    I really haven't thought about the lawyer thing in a whole lot of years, thanks to good luck and maybe good behavior (read- I haven't been caught).

But this thread stirred it all up, from 30 years ago. The civil suit lawyer.....my first wife and I bought a brand new crackerbox house that was built partially on somebody else's property. the developer built 4 houses that were all overlapping property lines that happened to include the right-of-way-for a future city street.

That case dragged on for years, and of course it was settled out of court by the sleezebag developer (and HIS lawyer) on the day the thing was going to trial. Can you spell "stress?"

All of us who bought the different houses had to sue together, and all of the bills we got from the lawyer looked the same.

12 minutes for a phone call. This cat billed for just thinking about the case. 6 minutes of professional consultation, dated and time stamped at 6:12 in the morning. So, he was masturbating in the shower thinking about how much money he would get from us and put that on the bill, itemized. The bill was 9 pages long.
    Last edited by pdub; January 17, 2013, 04:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Thumpin455
    replied
    Originally posted by Bamfster View Post
    And therein lies part of the problem .... the judges on the supreme court were lawyer once .......
    Quite true, but what they dont want is a media shitstorm about incompetent attorneys screwing over crippled war veterans. it could go either way, and hey, there is always the local news as a last resort.... and of course then defending myself against her ensuing suit.

Leave a comment:

• Bamfster
    replied
    A lawyer walks into a bar w/ a poodle under one arm, and a sausage under the other ....

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied
    I only know three lawyers, and they all walked in to a bar.........

Leave a comment:

• Huskinhano
    replied
    What's the difference between a lawyer and a mosquito? One is a blood sucking parasite, the other a bug.

Leave a comment:

• Bamfster
    replied
    Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
    In the state where I have the useless lawyer, the complaints go to the Supreme Court, and its already on its way.
    And therein lies part of the problem .... the judges on the supreme court were lawyer once .......

Leave a comment:

• pdub
    replied
    I'm sure the cliche I quoted above is a bit high, 97-3, statistically, not based on my own experience.

In all, I've only ever had to deal with and pay three lawyers - two divorces and a real estate civil suit. One of the divorce lawyers (hired by my ex-to-be) was remarkably human. We agreed to use the same lawyer instead of fight. Just draw up the papers.

I can honestly say only two out of the three lawyers I've ever paid were crotch groveling baby raping money sucking social deviates who were only concerned about the condition of their Rolex. Only two out of three, so the 97 and 3 cliche is unreasonably high, based on my own database.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X