6v Ooooga Horn on a 12v System?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6v Ooooga Horn on a 12v System?

My girlfriend's grandfather found an old 6v ooga horn in his barn and wants to put it on his John Deere Gator. I think the easiest way to cut the voltage down to 6v would be with a resistor, but I'm afraid it may draw enough current that I'd have to use a pretty large resistor that will dissipate a fair amount of heat. Does anyone have any experience doing this? Do you know how much current one of these old horns draws?
    Still plays with trucks....

could go diode, half waves the juice, then resistor. this allows the same resistor to be cooler.
    the math for what you need .. you are on you own like all of us.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

As I've said a hunrer't times, I ain't no 'lecrtical dude . I'd just wire it up. It's only on for short bursts anyway.
      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I know what you are saying, but He insists on making it "right". I also thought about doing a simple 2:1 step down transformer, but I don't want to make this more complicated than it is.

Comment

why the heck not?

you might could incorporate this
          Maybe I can clear this up.....I thought the cop was a prostitute.

Comment

That is gonna be a great horn for that gator!
            That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

I've hooked the old JC Higgins' 6v aooooga's to 12v without an issue. It does change the pitch alot, speeds up to aooooga to an AO-ga.

Most Gators have room under the seat next to the 12v battery for a 6v battery, add a horn button and the horn and it will all be stand-alone form the Gator. Maybe Granps will go for that.
              Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

I'm looking at some cheap 12v-6v dc-dc converters right now on Ebay for about $20. I'm just not sure how much current the thing would draw. I should have it in my hand tonight, so I might be able to hook it up to a 6v supply with a meter and measure how much current it draws.

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierL98GTA View Post
                  As I've said a hunrer't times, I ain't no 'lecrtical dude . I'd just wire it up. It's only on for short bursts anyway.
                  I'm with ya Dan. Hook the thing up and letter have it. But at twice the voltage it might not go OOGAH, it might sound like a little school girl with her pinky finger caught in a door.
                  Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Ya, they tried wiring it up to 12v already but it was super loud and didn't sound right, more like the little girl that pw mentioned. I was supposed to pick it up tonight to get working on it but I guess he got impatient and took it to the local electrical service garage (he only told me about it last night). I'm sure they will get it wired up right. I think the gator will sound pretty cool with that old ooga horn on it!

Comment

either a step down transformer with the correct Ah, or, replace the orifginal battery with 2-6 volts in series, and split the voltage for the horn...
                      Patrick & Tammy
                      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Working...
                      X