Let's "spec" a Transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Outsider View Post
    But I'm a little surprised that the manual transmission contingent hasn't offered more suggestions.
    That's because Automatics are better...... You show me a manual trans that is rated at over 1200hp, that's not a Lenco.......

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
      That's because Automatics are better...... You show me a manual trans that is rated at over 1200hp, that's not a Lenco.......
      But we're talking ~ 700 to 800, not 1,200. Is Ron the only "gearjammer" with an opinion still out in Bangshift-land?

That Clutch Turbo's still spinning my head back to the old days . . . .

Comment

I'm going with my setup.

I don't know if it would hold the power or not, but I have a Th350 w/extra clutch discs in it, and a shift kit. I traded my old 305 out of the Caprice for two TH350's and cash. I'd say I came out ahead on that deal.

What about a Jerico (spelling?) 4 speed? The ones they use in NASCAR? Those motors are 700-800hp if I remember correctly. I don't know what a used one would cost though. I'm sure they aren't cheap.
        Last edited by Leadsledcaprice; January 18, 2013, 02:19 PM.

Comment

That Clutch Turbo's still spinning my head back to the old days . . . .
          A year or two (or three?) ago I got a ride in a car with one.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I still run Muncie/327 combo in my 57...

Comment

Remember guys, 750-800 hp
              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by Leadsledcaprice View Post
                I'm going with my setup.

I don't know if it would hold the power or not, but I have a Th350 w/extra clutch discs in it, and a shift kit. I traded my old 305 out of the Caprice for two TH350's and cash.
                Too bad your Pa (pronounced "Paaah" in the Bay State) didn't have a spare TH350 holding up the water heater next to the coal chute in the basement . . . .

I'd say I came out ahead on that deal.

What about a Jerico (spelling?) 4 speed? The ones they use in NASCAR? Those motors are 700-800hp if I remember correctly. I don't know what a used one would cost though. I'm sure they aren't cheap.
                Yeah, those Jericos (http://www.jericoperformance.com/) aren't for the budget Bangshifter (but one could argue that 700+ h.p. isn't too "budget" either . . . .)

Anybody think that a RUG 3 speed + overdrive "Top Loader" (http://www.davidkeetoploaders.com/imposters.htm) would live anytime at all with serious power and slicks (assuming it's not abused/powershifted)?

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                  A year or two (or three?) ago I got a ride in a car with one.

http://bangshift.com/blog/ebay-find-...net-earth.html
                  Squirrel is trying to kill me on Barrett-Jackson Friday. That "short" is iceburg cool!

Comment

I go by what the tranny will hold up to torque wise.

Legends SS700............5 speed......close ratio with a 2.66 first gear.
                    Then shift in 5th gear for some cruising.
                    Rated up to 700 lb torque

I like jamming gears.
                    Last edited by Monk; January 18, 2013, 02:52 PM.
                    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Yeah, those Jericos (http://www.jericoperformance.com/) aren't for the budget Bangshifter (but one could argue that 700+ h.p. isn't too "budget" either . . . .)

Anybody think that a RUG 3 speed + overdrive "Top Loader" (http://www.davidkeetoploaders.com/imposters.htm) would live anytime at all with serious power and slicks (assuming it's not abused/powershifted)?
                      If its a "big in-big out" top loader it will handle the power,that 3spd over drive is good for about 300hp because of the input and out put shafts. IIRC the output is 26spline so it's smaller by 2 than the normal TL.
                      But a NEW top loader is close to $3000 now.

Like all things what is the priority? Long drives or 1/4mile blasts that you drive to the track?

I might look at firing up the credit card and going with one of those TransZilla 6 spds,will take the power but might not be Jerico Face Plated fast shifting. but still about $4000. How much is a face plated Jerico now? $5000? Then a GearVenders hanging off the end adding another $2500.
                      Lenco still have the street 1200 trans? Again about $4000.Begging for a GV too.

Comment

700 hp I'd look at Rockland Standard Gear, they have a couple available that will hold it. A Viper spec t56 will probably live with it. Tranzilla shouldn't have any problems.

TKO600 will probably live as well if you give it a chance. Call up American Powertrain (one of our sponsors) and have a chat?
                        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                          700 hp I'd look at Rockland Standard Gear, they have a couple available that will hold it. A Viper spec t56 will probably live with it. Tranzilla shouldn't have any problems.

TKO600 will probably live as well if you give it a chance. Call up American Powertrain (one of our sponsors) and have a chat?
                          Agree on the TKO600.........I'm pushing 650 hp and 602 # tq and it's held very well.
                          American Powertrain guys are a great resource.
                          Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

I forgot about the TKO,and I have one LOL. I have the "issue that is my fault because I dont know how to hold the shifter" (American PowerTrains words) that it is near imposible to hit the 2-3 shift at WOT(speed shift with clutch).
                            Liberty has a fix for us "Flat Shifters" about $300 on top of the cost of a new TKO purchased from them. Complete tear down,blue print and detail of the transmission and shift forks and rods.
                            I didn't get mine from them because I didn't know about the problem until after I installed the trans.

In the past I have had TREMECs that shifted at 7000rpm all day long,right foot flat to the floor so I have a hard time believing I dont know how to shift. Something changed in the transmission.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                              Remember guys, 750-800 hp
                              I broke the ST10 with less than 400hp and around 475ftlbs. For a manual to take that much grunt you are going to spend well north of $3k, and it will still break stuff, be difficult to launch and hook plus it would benefit greatly from a multi disc clutch. If you have deep pockets and 800hp, go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclone03 View Post
                                I have the "issue that is my fault because I dont know how to hold the shifter" (American PowerTrains words) that it is near imposible to hit the 2-3 shift at WOT(speed shift with clutch).
                                Liberty has a fix for us "Flat Shifters" . . . .
                                "Flat Shifters?" Never heard of that one. How are you supposed to hold the shifter on a TKO?

Comment

Working...
                                X