Let's "spec" a Transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Monk View Post
    I go by what the tranny will hold up to torque wise.

Legends SS700............5 speed......close ratio with a 2.66 first gear.
    Then shift in 5th gear for some cruising.
    Rated up to 700 lb torque

I like jamming gears.
    I looked at Keisler's website and did a Google search, but I didn't find a price for the SS700. I suspect it's going to be like all of the other new manuals . . . . far in excess of $3,000 once the clutch, shifter and SFI scattershield are added on.

Comment

BTW, anybody ever tried to run big power through an old Ranger Torque splitter auxillary transmission?

Comment

how about a duramax/allison combo on biodeisel??
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Nice.
          Not. Cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outsider View Post
            "Flat Shifters?" Never heard of that one. How are you supposed to hold the shifter on a TKO?
            Thats what my ol stock elem guy told me,Just shift it flat,dont lift.

Well thats the deal,they say just push the shifter forward without trying to guide it,it will just go in,Unless it goes into FIRST!
            I dont trust it to just go in,Ive tried it at about 3000 rpm and found first once,but it just didn't feel right and I didnt let the clutch out.
            I THINK if you had a strait shift lever ,no bends,you could do it but without about 8in of engine set back I cant fit my arms and legs behind the wheel.
            As for grip,use a ball,not T handle and PALM it. Dont try to ram it up and over like a good ol H pattern Hurst,you'll get the brick wall. The "gate" hangs on the "point" of the 3/5 I think,other say you'll push past 5 and go to 5/nothing. I have power shifted 2-5 boy thats a BOG.

I have got to the point I flip my hand PALM Up and sort of lift it in but its very wierd flipping your hand over from 1/2 to2/3 then back palm down for 3/4. I mostly just gave up though and granny shift 2/3 for 95% success.

On levers,shorter and staiter is better.

Comment

Yeah, the TKO-600 problem really shows it's face around 6,500+ rpm, and gets a bit cranky just over 6,000rpm. I haven't had any trouble at 5,500rpm. I have a T handle. I've never accidently hit 5th or 1st for that matter, but teaching my sister to drive a stick shift she went from 2nd back into 1st at about 30mph, which the engine hated, but didn't seem to zing to the moon as the back tires were screeching like the brakes were hit hard.

I've got well over 60,000 miles on mine and 4th gear grinds a bit if I go clutchless when rowing. When ever I decide it needs a rebuild I'll probably ship it to liberty for their service.

MegaSquirt has a "flatshift" feature I've been meaning to try out where you put a switch on the clutch pedal (tie into the neutral safety?) that when the clutch pedal is pushed in the MegaSquirt drops the revv limiter to what ever you set it at (a couple rpm short of your recovery rpm?) so you can leave your foot planted on the gas pedal and when you push the clutch pedal in the engine should slow down a hair despite being unloaded by the clutch.
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

the flat shift is interesting.
                learning how to drive, I am finally trying not to let the needle drop all the way back into the jet. (full off throttle)
                its not all that easy.
                Previously boxer3main
                the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outsider View Post
                  BTW, anybody ever tried to run big power through an old Ranger Torque splitter auxillary transmission?

Saw ONE...was in a Ford F100 with 3 on tree then floor shifter for the Ranger... Guy who owned it said it needed new synros and left it apart and got rusted beyond use.. Always wanted one ahead of a muncie.. But not sure how strong they'd be..
                  Guy claimed 40 mpg with the 300 - 6 he had... People who rode with him say BS..
                  Last edited by Deaf Bob; January 18, 2013, 10:08 PM.

Comment

If the shifter gates are properly sprung, then the 2-3 shift shouldn't need any side pressure. The gate springs will center the shifter.

Trying to guide an MT-82 2-3 shift on a Mustang will guarantee a miss.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post

MegaSquirt has a "flatshift" feature I've been meaning to try out where you put a switch on the clutch pedal (tie into the neutral safety?) that when the clutch pedal is pushed in the MegaSquirt drops the revv limiter to what ever you set it at (a couple rpm short of your recovery rpm?) so you can leave your foot planted on the gas pedal and when you push the clutch pedal in the engine should slow down a hair despite being unloaded by the clutch.
                      I wonder how that would work with a clutch turbo?

Comment

you don't use the clutch when you shift a clutch turbo....????
                        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Just wait a few more years GM will be coming out with 8 speed transmissions......

Comment

at least they're not doing CVT's yet...
                            Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Speaking of transmissions........after seeing Jungle Jims rides at Bowling Green, I've had
                              the itch to build a 427 with a torque flight behind it.
                              Someone school me here........I'm assuming there's some sort of adapter plates?
                              Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

I'd try speedway or advance adapters...
                                Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Working...
                                X