Fenderless "New" Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fenderless "New" Cars

Watching Barrett-Jackson's got me thinking . . . .

Once upon a time (pre-1948, unless we're talking VW Type 1s or some obscure stuff), cars came with four removable fenders. The "envelope body" killed this feature.

In the past decade, we've seen a lot of retro stuff that copied the vintage separate fenders look (e.g. PT Cruiser, HHR, SSR) but none of them actually had separate fenders. This was one of the big failures of the retro style (along with odd proportions and not enough V8s and RWD).

QUESTION: If an automaker sold a new, moderately priced RWD model that could be modified to run fenderless, would any Bangshifters consider it?

Comment

Unless it's like a 32 Highboy.....a Fiat Topolino, I like fenders.
      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Good or not so good?

Comment

Comment

I think a two door PT Cruiser in coupe form would look pretty good without the fenders. Not so much with the other body styles.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outsider View Post

Good or not so good?
              Ummm?? Kinda cool...kinda pukey... Can't make up my mind... Will I drive it?.. Hell yeah.. Buy it..most likely no

Comment

I thought you meant fenderless as in one piece body over the tires. I would not like that.

..else, its a classic asshole.

fenderless? for what? smash my own face with debris?!
                Previously boxer3main
                the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Good!!
                  Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                  HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I actually prefer fenders. There are exceptions,
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

34s and earlier look ok with the fenders removed, but all the ones you've shown above look like crap.
                      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Buy a new one from and OEM? Probably not, because it would be something like a Prowler, way under powered, too expensive, and probably too many creature comforts. I would rather build something from scratch than buy a new car, and I could put any engine, trans, and fuel system in it I want.

Yeah, I am not normal, kinda crazy, and want to build something fenderless. A 39-41 Willys coupe needs fenders, there is no way around it.

Comment

The ONLY newer car that could pull it off is a Prowler. That's it. Even the PT Cruiser would look like hell. I prefer my cars with fenders.
                          Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Not a big fan of fenderless - or the classic highboy look. The street rod in my head would start with a weird body (maybe an Essex or some such) and a weird engine (at least an FE but maybe even a Packard 352), channeled a bit with full fenders. If it has a chop it wouldn't be too much, maybe 2" or so.

So I'm weird, too.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by The Outsider View Post

Good or not so good?
                              Alright , I didn't see that coming. I like it. But to be fair, that isn't a bullet nose Stude with the fenders taken off.
                              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                              X