Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oldsman496
    replied
    we just want you to be safe and have fun. A rollcage does both for you. It enables you to have the peace of mind to press farther on that go-fast pedal allowing you to get more adrenaline for your buck.

And with an offer of assistance to install said cage, from an experienced and qualified tech, at a minimal cost....well.........

the only thing that could be better for this deal was if he offered cold beverages while you were there.......

just sayin'.........................................
    Last edited by oldsman496; January 20, 2013, 08:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pdub
    replied
    DB I'm hearing you and all of y'all. We just don't want to totally masectomize Red and make him be anything but the car we love to cruise around in. AND go fast in a time or two.

I'm not afraid of Turn One. I'm afraid to mash the gas before that, in the bizarre off camber sweeping turn that should be a long straightaway but it's all a big curve thing before you ever get to Turn One. That's where the speed is, if you can find it. And THEN there's Turn One. Okay NOW brakes. Turn One is a dick if you come in there going 120 or if you're going 50, it doesn't matter. Even the masters and trainers there say that turn is a throw-away. That and Turn Six as well. No fast way through there. Brakes.

I was so unafraid of Turn One that I ran completely off of there the very last lap I ran before I got black flagged .... gyahlee that's a heap load of fun. I have to go do that again. With better brakes.

You guys want me to get a roll cage....I completely think that's not needed.

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by peewee View Post
    Oh.
    Once you experience the stiffer chassis...
    Mustangs are uni body I believe. Roll cage ties in the front and rear the factory didnt.
    Older Camaros and Firebirds (and their cousins) used sub frame connectors.. They made a heck of a difference
    Not sure Mustangs can benefit because I have not seem to read about it..
    One landing on your side or roof will pay for the cage.. In allowing you to live..maybe.. Remember..you want to conquer your fear of turn 1...
    Do you remember the ratio of caged/uncaged cars there?
    Chassis rigidity translates into less sloppy feel, more confidence, less wallow and less flex steering Flex steering is when the chassis flexes enough to make it steer itself.. Usually the way you do not want to go..

Leave a comment:

• pdub
    replied
    Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
    Nope.. Common sense..
    Oh.

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    Nope.. Common sense..

Leave a comment:

• pdub
    replied
    You guys are working hard on me, aren't ya?

Leave a comment:

• Barry Donovan
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    And it WILL stiffen the car which is excellent for going around corners. Cars flex more than you would imagine! And bars pretty much don't.

Dan
    that is quite a bonus.
    even the engine changes..
    I always guessed about invisible moves, until verifying after learning it myself welding.

a hidden shame of all automobiles...how much "they don't move".
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; January 19, 2013, 08:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    And it WILL stiffen the car which is excellent for going around corners. Cars flex more than you would imagine! And bars pretty much don't.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• oldsman496
    replied
    Pdub - Order up the MM or similar kit and have it powdercoated, then bring the whole deal over here and we'll spend a weekend and install it. I'll show you how to take it out, too. Really not that big a deal. Then you're set for all possibilities!

Dan

Jeez peewee - you shouldn't pass up a deal like that........seriously, a cage is a good idea if your gonna be goin' fast.

Leave a comment:

• pdub
    replied
    I keep coming back to Bob Self's Ford GT. He had the same deal (wife wouldn't ride in it with a cage) and dropped megabux at S&W for a bolt-in 200 MPH cage! It really was a thing of beauty. But for say - 150ish - the bolt in MM 6 point should be fine. My 'Stang teched for 150 and it's a convert! Actually, in a convert (at least at that time) the rear of the rear bars had to be welded so mine won't bolt out even though the main hoop and the door bar floor mounts are bolt-in. The body fits are SO bad on Fox-bodied Mustang convertibles that MM couldn't make a universal bolt-in kit that could be counted on to fit a soft top. But even then, the coupe and fastback kits fully bolted in.

Dan
    It's all sort of like echoes to me - yeah that was neat, for about 36 seconds on the land speed track.

But Red's not got a whole lot more to accomplish on top end. Maybe 146, by my wild ass guess, that's probably high, not sure it's worth all of that. But I'm still thinking.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    I keep coming back to Bob Self's Ford GT. He had the same deal (wife wouldn't ride in it with a cage) and dropped megabux at S&W for a bolt-in 200 MPH cage! It really was a thing of beauty. But for say - 150ish - the bolt in MM 6 point should be fine. My 'Stang teched for 150 and it's a convert! Actually, in a convert (at least at that time) the rear of the rear bars had to be welded so mine won't bolt out even though the main hoop and the door bar floor mounts are bolt-in. The body fits are SO bad on Fox-bodied Mustang convertibles that MM couldn't make a universal bolt-in kit that could be counted on to fit a soft top. But even then, the coupe and fastback kits fully bolted in.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• pdub
    replied
    Pdub - Order up the MM or similar kit and have it powdercoated, then bring the whole deal over here and we'll spend a weekend and install it. I'll show you how to take it out, too. Really not that big a deal. Then you're set for all possibilities!

Dan
    Hmmmm, wow thanks Dan, I'll put that one on the burner. Unit and I neither one wants a cage in Red. I've messed him enough already with these goofy ass wheels. But the prospect of taking the cage out and/or putting it back in is interesting for sure.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied

Dan

Leave a comment:

• pdub
    replied
    In truth I wouldn't do that stuff. Yeah, stay in bounds, play right and as Ed said, know you did it.

When I was there was was a dude who showed up with some kind of a stock rocket, I forget what kind it was. Three point seat belt, rated at 135. The guy I think was patient enough to do the 125 mph rookie run and then he went out and ran something in the 160's and immediately posted the video on FaceBook.

Turk was livid. I don't know of anything that makes him any madder and you sure don't want him mad at YOU. That, and it defiles the spirit of the sport to begin with. And risks the track insurance and everything else, for EVERYBODY there doing it right.

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by BOOOGHAR View Post
    local air strips sell AV gas, when I was crewing on a dirt track car and we raced out of town in ShowLow AZ we went across the street to the airstrip there and bout AV gas for the racecar and it was 3 bux cheaper a gallon than buying it in Phoenix from the Sunoco dealer
    As nice as AV gas is.. It evaporates in the hot manifold, and does not start hot motors..
    Know a guy that runs AV gas in his mower... Gets too hot to start, BEER TIME!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X