X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• less than a week from 40 years old

not sure what to think of it.
    my path is unusual.
    I was watching a vid asking if you were an 80s kid or 90s..seems a repeat like bad tv networks sometimes out here on internet land. Some comment posted, "I am 15 today."
    I would have been 25 if to be the parent.

going on 40.. I forget that today. It drove me nuts not long ago..
    I am on the net for daily change...not a yearly sneaking repeat, unless it is important i guess.

when I was 15, there was a 40 year old at the head of the farm. Cold man. he may have been the tail end of viet nam... a veteran.

none of us complained at labor, after witnessing this guy go machine more than the machines.

bad presidents try to mimick that to make men. sorry bush senior. I saw through you when I was 18..watching the gulf war on tv, expecting the draft notice.

what is 40.

70s cars have memory if to pop the hood. A subconscious instinct to check linkage and hoses...because we drove those cars in real daily life. Cringe at EGR tubes and valves.

after all the babble of new corvettes. the beeline to facts narrow down to 2:
    compresson and chamber size.

wtf else matters!?

the stiff chassis is a dream to hear changed.

Age 40 now to cars is a bit of all cars. Quite a burden I have to run away from sometimes.

not sure what to think of making it to 40...
    should have kids getting out of highschool. I just watch the world go by instead.

that need goes away too. children, schedules.
    as bad as typical can be altered.. I do not feel bad.
    going on 40 has seen alot that did not make it. Easier to be grateful.

I even have net stories of some in my age group and not making it. be it a forum, or viral for car videos. A surprise everywhere one can go ..

I'd go to sleep if I could this 240 am..but maine is headed for 43 dgerees down to 0 tomorrow. I don't sleep much here in the winter.... spring summer or fall.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; January 20, 2013, 12:41 AM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Some folks sleep when they get older, some don't.
    I go in stages..miss alot of sleep.. Then hibernate.. No matter the year..
    Yeah. Watching the world go by sucks at times..
    Like Ed says," Inside every old person is a kid wondering what the hell happened" or something..
    I normally wake around 8, now it's 7.. Been up 2 hrs already.. Upside, if there's one.. Went to bed at 10 instead of 1 am..
    My grandma lived on Main street.. I'd leave the bar at 1-2 am.. See the outline of her reading in her chair at the window.. Other times at 4 am, heading to the woods to work, see her still there.. Logging camp cookhouse cook... Wood stove.. No gas or electric those days.. Way up in what is now a ski resort..

So Barry, Happy Birthday.. Enjoy the day as you see fit!

Comment

I'm 51, I finally got over turning 40. My mom who's 77 says life starts at 50. I guess your attitude has a lot more to do with it, than your age.
      Last edited by squirrel; January 20, 2013, 08:25 AM.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

not one to wax sentimental...age is just a number, and I too think that ed got it right... like bob, early to bed, early to rise...time to learn not to sweat the small stuff, and admit to ourselves and others that mistakes have been made, and, who cares...we are old enough to be entitled a little slack. just never surrender to conformity and enjoy what you can while you can. my dad died at 45 so i count every day as a blessing and continue forward! Happy Birthday!
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

What I'd give to be 40 again, that was so long ago I can't even remember being 40! One thing I have found out about age, if you ever let yourself slow down it's really tough to get going again, I've seen it happen. I plan to go 90 mph till the day I drop!

Like Ed says," Inside every old person is a kid wondering what the hell happened"
          Last edited by Grumpy; January 20, 2013, 09:57 AM.
          sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

Happy birthday Barry!

Look at it this way, you've been living your fortieth year for a whole year already, so what difference does a day make?

Don't sweat it, I spent my fiftieth birthday in a dentist chair getting drilled for a root canal. Birthday, birthday, go a-WAY!

Congrats for getting there Young Man!
            Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

It might be a gooc time for you to dig yourself out of the hole you.ve dug yourself into and bet your shit together. You only go arounc once, man, make the most of it.
              Dulcich

Comment

Its not a big deal, all it means is you have made that many laps around the sun. Think of it this way, you are only 480 months old. Maybe thinking of it in days isnt such a good idea, since that is 14,600 or so.

Really, you are only as old as you let yourself feel, and its not the years its the mileage. Go slide sideways around some snow covered back roads in your boxer if you think you are living too slow.

Comment

Hell sonny, when I was yer age.......

Happy birthday, youngun'!

Dan

Comment

Barry,Im about a month out too. It kinda freaks me out to tell you the truth. Ah screw it, I've got a great wife and loving family,thankfully we have our health, because without that you cant do shit. You just think back and wonder where the hell it went but when you think about it you see where it went. I havent done everything I wanted-yet,but Im sure I'll get some stuff done-alot of it. Happy Birthday !

Comment

Barry you're still a young. I'm going to be 57 next month. Time flies, I remebered when I turned 40, then 50. So what? I worked in a hospital back in my early thirties. I learned one thing there, death and age have not to much in common. Saw lots of young people who didn't make it to 30. I have learned to enjoy every day. I feel great outside of a tendon in my right heal bothering me, no complaints. Had my last kid at 40, it's great spending time with her now.

Have a great birthday next week!
                      Last edited by Huskinhano; January 20, 2013, 05:05 PM.
                      Tom
                      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Yep.......age is a state of mind.
                        Keep active.........I work out every day and can still stay
                        up with the young uns playing a little one on one.

I'm turning 64 this year.......don't feel a day over 18.
                        You're never too old to have a happy childhood.
                        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                          Yep.......age is a state of mind.
                          Keep active.........I work out every day and can still stay
                          up with the young uns playing a little one on one.

I'm turning 64 this year.......don't feel a day over 18.
                          You're never too old to have a happy childhood.
                          state of mind, it is true. enthusiastic replies.
                          if the skull containing it aches all day...keep trying anyway.

alot of paradox along the way. I remember after my first operation I was under too long (17 hours),stayed in a stupor working over double 40 hours a week for about 6 months before it finally caught up to me. A brain stroke of sorts. Stayed there for 2 years. my retarded father blind to the subject, doctors and the biggest stab was the air guard unit. Absolutely insane. The resolve is still playing HOLY.
                          it is now 17 years after zero months to live.

I went like a machine,military driven. inspired by alot of people.As if they don't care about death either. the doctor who spoke like he did nothing wrong died at 50 something.

more than once my path has no tracks of legal pursuit because of death or gov't know how (maine makes an ass of itself nationally with its "government know how".) There is nothing here...who the hell is going to give it money.
                          being innocent, other help happens.

me and 40, not likely. so very very not likely.

still trying to put a realistic destination like I have all kinds of future left.

my dad drove all over the country in the worlds worst tractor trailers.
                          I remember his choices of favorite places. I am fairly certain that is my silent destinations.
                          40 can do that without a trace it seems.

when a place is bad enough contrasting your real life..the nasty narrations seem like a scary prophet. time to go at that point. Because it all happens.

I am actually enthused about this week. Learning simple to be happy..its easier now than ever.
                          Last edited by Barry Donovan; January 20, 2013, 06:21 PM.
                          Previously boxer3main
                          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

The two birthdays I had the hardest time with were 20 and 40. I turned 49 a week ago and it was no big deal just like 50 will be no big deal next year. Some people let themselves get old by dwelling on it and some just keep on truckin' no matter what. There's one thing though, we need to take better care of ourselves the older we get otherwise it will catch up with you.
                            Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

I forgot to say how old I am... No I didn't..
                              I'm 58.. Body of an 18 year old..in my dreams..
                              Reality, right now, bites big time, but not here or now.. but for sure, I am feeling every second of those 58 years and then some..
                              Tomorrow's another day, to hug and love..
                              Trying to stay upbeat, brave face for the young uns..
                              Like I say.. Tomorrow.... New day, new smiles!

Comment

Working...
                              X