How much HP does it make?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much HP does it make?

I got a ballpark number in my head, but wanted to share my build and see what kind of numbers you all would come up with.

The engine is a 468 BBC with the following items

GM forged steel crank
    Scat Rods
    SRP Pistons 10.5-1
    AFR 315 CC heads
    Edelbrock Super Victor Intake
    1150 Dominator HP
    Comp Cam solid roller with 677/687 lift, can't recall duration

Also, what kind of 1/4 mile times you think such an engine would run in a 3,200 lb car? Thanks in advance.
    Motor City Muscle

depending on traction I would think bottom 11's high 10's. My camaro is simular weight but my cam isn't matched to the rest of my combo, and i have a 505 to your 468 and mine went 11.11 on motor but goes 9.82 with a 200 shot.
    Coming at you live from the birthplace of GM,Flint,Mi. Where your car is worth more than the property it's parked on.

Comment

Better yet......how much torque?
      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

The best guess on these combos is to use one of the calculators. There are several and they seem to be pretty close. Some of the guys can steer you toward them.

As far as times - there are too many variables to answer that. Gear ratios, tires, trans type, driver skill - the combination is as important (or more) as the HP.

Good luck and have fun!

Dan

Comment

A friend a similar build in her 69 Camaro. She ran 10.50's at 125 mph all day on cheap Arco swill. You have a bit more head and cam, but getting your car to hook will be the real test for good results.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

(You coulda left out the crank/rod combo since they don't make power). OK, I see no body guessed HP (it was in the title of his thread). I'll say around 600-625, and that combo doesn't need an 1150 Dominator. JMO. I built an all iron 468 a few yrs back with more cam/compression/cylinder head, and with a worked 850 CFM Holley on a smaller 454R intake. It ran mid 10's at just under 130MPH (it did 130 twice), in a 3350 lb car.
            Last edited by groucho; January 21, 2013, 05:36 PM.
            STUGOTS

Comment

I was shooting for 650-700 hp. Comp cam did a custom grind stating that would get me solidly in the ballpark. I don't know why I listed crank and rods, habit I guess, listing my engine build. My previous engine made 513 hp on the dyno, with a solid flat tappet with .629/.605 lift and rectangle port cast iron GM heads flowing about 345 cfm on the intake and 240 cft on the exhaust. My AFR's flow nearly 400 cfm on the intake, and nearly 300 cfm on the exhaust, with more lift to take advantage of the flow.

I contacted Holley regarding the carb, as their carb tool online suggested the 1050, 1150, and 1250 Dominator as my only options. I was somewhat reluctant to go with a dominator, so I called them. They said it would work significantly better on the street than my 750 race Demon, though I may still have to rev it at a light now and then to keep it idling. The tech recommended the 1050 if it was mostly going to be street driven, the 1150 for all out race. I choose the 1150 for a couple reason. One, I will sacrifice a little on the street for better top end at the track. Secondly, my next engine will probably be a 540 shortblock, and everything up top from this engine will be transplanted.

That said, with all the fuel system work I did last winter: stock tank with baffles/sump, aeromotive a1000, filters, 5/8 fuel line, regulator, 1150 Dominator, and Super Victor intake really woke this engine up. It was fast the summer before, but I knew my fuel system was insufficient. Also, the idle quality is unbelievable, and better than I ever could have expected. I can idle at a light without one foot on the gas, and one on the brake.

Ultimately, as stated, traction will be my biggest concern, and I hope to aleviate that with Mickey Thompson ET streets and my M9 rear to handle the power. (this winters upgrade) I hope to run mid 10's, though was planning on a shot of 200-250 hp to get my in the 9's. The plate doesn't fit under the hood with the new intake/carb combo, so the nitrous may way until the 540, and end up bing a nitrous injection system as opposed to a plate.

Thanks for the input! I'll report back if I make it to the track this summer, as planned.
              Motor City Muscle

Comment

Working...
              X