Car I got my drivers permit on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car I got my drivers permit on

When going though sorting things in my storage room yesterday I found this picture of mon, my brother, and myself (middle) standing in front of the new family car. I did a little (lot) of talking and dad did get the SS396 car instead of a Malibu. It was the only car we had, so was driven to work (construction sites - laborer), to the grocery store, to church, every day, all year, and it was the car I drove home after I got my drivers license permit. In late fall I remember going with dad to get some redline studed snow tires put on (yes - redline studed snows) and dad had to stop the installer when he went to put the air wrench on the factory mag style wheel covers. It was a bare bones car with a 396/325hp backed by a powerglide, AM radio, and bench seat matching blue interior. Nothing else for options. Since dad usually bought a new car every two years I was hoping to be able to buy it when he changed cars, but he somehow forgot I wanted it (smart man). I know that I would have got in trouble with it, but the photo sure does bring back good memories.
    Supercar Collectibles started out in 1995, at a home, on a part time basis. We currently have a good size warehouse, along with office space and do this full time with 7 people keeping very busy. We try to have a good selection of product at a fair price, and treat people how we would like to be treated.
    Attached Files
    Jim T
    Supercar Collectibles
    www.Supercar1.com

And your car fetish exploded from there !
    Phil / Omaha

Comment

VERY cool that you have the pic. My Dad accidentally bought a '59 Chevy wagon with a 348 and a three on the tree (dealer checked the wrong box on the order form - it was supposed to be a six). LOTS of memories with that car - it was my oldest brother's first driver and the family's only car (Mom didn't drive yet). Went thru a set of snow tires between October and the first snowfall.

Dan

Comment

I had a buddy who had a '66 Charger with those same type wheel covers.
        I watched a guy put an air wrench to one and break the lug off.
        They really did look like a mag wheel.
        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

That's cool! pictures like that are pure gold. The car I took my test in wasn't nearly as cool as that, my mothers brand new '79 T-bird.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 193.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	866521
          Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

And the car I took the test in was an '81 Dodge Colt. Not much particularly cool about it other than that it had a twin-stick transaxle.

Comment

mom and dad's 76 olds custom cruiser station wagon (last of the 455's) during that time dad had a 62 olds 88 and a 60 ford galaxie 2 door work cars...
              Last edited by silver_bullet; January 21, 2013, 09:45 AM.
              Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I'm not sure I know what car I took mine in but I think it must have been Mom's '62 Buick Special convert (black with a red interior - NOT a Skylark!). It was a cool little car and I loved it. No pics though unless my brother Dick has some - I'll have to ask.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer View Post
                  And the car I took the test in was an '81 Dodge Colt. Not much particularly cool about it other than that it had a twin-stick transaxle.
                  the only weirdos climbing a subaru engineering..
                  look at the rally realm today. seems they won.

my license was in a modern jeep with new fuel injection.
                  At 1 year old it sucked ore oil than a 2 million mile cummins, and the parking brake failed the test.

my car fetish went a bit different... more wrenches than wax.

funny enough, my real last contentment was a big gm sedan. Actually any and all I have run. Even the weirdo 301 pontiac. Still be a gem to me today.
                  Previously boxer3main
                  the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

65 barracuda 273v8... had so many miles on it (225K at that point) that I couldnt keep it in a stright line due to front end wear (1/2 turn of slop)... I Failed . Came back the next day with my $350.00 69 Dodge Charger and passed with flying colors. My dad made me take the Baccaruda the first time as he thought the Charger would intimidate the inspector...
                    www.FBthrottlebodies.com
                    Bruce K Bridges

Comment

The Eldorado was Mom's. I took my driver's test in it. Not sure why Dad picked me up from school in Mom's car instead of his '79 Fleetwood. I mostly drove the Gray Ghost, the 73 Coupe de Ville.

This pic was taken by my dad after I did the wax on/wax off bit on the cars.

Yes, I know what snow looks like. Damn, I was a cute kid. My older sister killed this car getting it air born off a set of railroad tracks. I was in the passenger seat.
                      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Mine was an E350 Ford Club Wagon can, it had a 460/C6, three benches in back and tinted glass. Green and white. They wouldnt let me drive my Cougar for some reason, they thought the van would be better for parallel parking or something.

The only non green vehicles my parents bought was the 75 Vega (red) and the 77 F150 (blue) so they definitely had some kind of green fetish.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                          The Eldorado was Mom's. I took my driver's test in it. Not sure why Dad picked me up from school in Mom's car instead of his '79 Fleetwood. I mostly drove the Gray Ghost, the 73 Coupe de Ville.

This pic was taken by my dad after I did the wax on/wax off bit on the cars.

Yes, I know what snow looks like. Damn, I was a cute kid. My older sister killed this car getting it air born off a set of railroad tracks. I was in the passenger seat.
                          Cadillac made some pretty cars back then. My dad had a black '78 Seville that actually drew a crowd once.
                          Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Dad was a cheapskate when it came to new cars. The one I learned was a 70 AMC 4 door Rebel SST. I had to really talk dad into ordering the 304 V8 instead of the 232 six. The car had manual drums, manual steering and no AC. I was a skinny 135 pound 6 foot tall teanager.
                            Tom
                            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Took mine in a '67 Plymouth Valiant station wagon.
                              It was my friends parent's car........wanted a small car for the parrallel parking part.

In our small town you would go to the National Guard Armory to take written and
                              driving test.
                              They only gave it twice a month and would set up the 4 posts for the parrallel parking part.
                              We would go out and move them farther apart to make the chore a little easier.
                              Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Working...
                              X