Winter SAR in the U.P.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter SAR in the U.P.

Yesterday afternoon there was an accident about two miles from here. One of the guys in the crash had his dog with him, and she got away. It was a boxer, and she was skittish. Last night it was -2 while we were searching from 1800 to 0130, we followed her tracks for about five miles through the woods, and her owner decided to walk in after a head on totaled his Subaru. He got separated and barely made it out at 0100. He called the state police while he was lost and we were looking for him, and he stumbled out of the woods and hitched a ride to where we had the OP set up. He got lucky twice in one day, first he survived a head on, then he survived walking through the woods in the dark in sub zero weather.

The search resumed today, and we saw the dog, but she wouldnt come to anyone. and she covered a few more miles. Everyone gave up, one of them set up a live trap at my neighbors house, and went home. She finally decided to go to the house across the highway from the accident location. So it was a happy ending, the dog is ok, back with her owner, but his car is totaled.

If you check Facebook pages for Alger County Michigan, you can probably find the story in there.

Glad that worked out. Was the pup frostbitten? I don't know if that happens to dogs but I think it could.

And good all over you guys for searching. I could NOT live in that climate (and I don't).

Dan

Comment

I heard she was ok, tough little pup. Here is the facebook page. The one we were looking for was Gracie.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Here is the map of her grand adventure.

Last edited by Thumpin455; January 21, 2013, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Man that's nuts........good for you for trying to track 'em down.
        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

good job
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Well done Todd!

That guy should be counting his blessings and giving all of you a heartfelt thanks - sure love to hear of the happy ending.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

The woman did the legwork, since she is the hardcore hiker with snowshoes. I was in more of a logistics and making sure we got everyone out of the woods capacity. She made the map and she gets the credit, she did the most. It makes sense, she would be heading up a search for lost humans too, due to her job on the VFD.

Comment

A boxer surviving in those temps is one seriously stout dog! Great work!
                www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Working...
                X