1/2 Scale Vega Funny Car on Craigslist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/2 Scale Vega Funny Car on Craigslist

This has to be one of the coolest things I've seen in a while, wish I had the extra cash I'd definitely have a go!

late 70's funny car, The story I was told is a guy in New Jersey made these cars trying to start a new class of drag racing, they used sohc Honda motorcycle engines, My guess is this is 1/2 or 2/3 scale, but its built for an adult, it has hurst/airhart master cylinder and disc brake on it, at one point the guy put an air shifter on it, the tank and selonoid are still there, rack and pinion steering, runs a jack shaft to drive the wheels, very well built, body is in good shape, someone started razor blading off the old paint and you can see the original paint, this is a very cool piece that could probably be ran again, its about ten feet long and a little over 3 feet wide, NO ENGINE, call with questions, may take old car/truck trades, Mike 717-six four eight-6614

Click image for larger version

Name:	3L33M83Na5Le5Id5N3d1m05f87cd59881131c.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	879592Click image for larger version

Name:	3E43Me3F45I65L15J7d1mba7fc768df481496.jpg
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	879593Click image for larger version

Name:	3K63Mc3Ld5Ib5G15Hcd1m198b34fb63b613fe.jpg
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	879594Click image for larger version

Name:	3G43Mf3F25N45I65M5d1m0c06c25d4eb21800.jpg
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	879595
    Last edited by Caustic Frog; January 22, 2013, 02:00 PM.
    sigpic

that is interesting.
    I play with alow profile 1781cc boxer...and a chevy carb.

that would be fun. half scale racer, little engine.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Does anyone have any info on this supposed "new class of drag racing" the guy who made this thing was trying to start, I'm kind of interested in the back story, if there is one, guess I'm off to visit my friend Google

Update:

well that was fast, I found this at 70sfunnycars.com

Name:	RMini3.JPG
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	866544

...in the mid-70s Umbro Machine & Tool from NY tried to introduce mini Vega funny cars? The UMT sales brochure claimed "The nitro burning funny cars... were always the deepest dream of the drag racer. Due to the vast amounts of work, design, and the money involved, the majority of drag racers could do nothing else but dream. With all this in mind, the Engineers and craftsmen at UMT combined their skills and brought about the birth of this exciting mini FUNNY CAR. WHEELIES - BURNOUTS - and FIRE belching headers along with a sling shot takeoff from the starting line is getting a tremendous response from crowds of racing fans all over the country and is becoming the wildest new trend in drag racing history." Based on a Vega body, the sales brochure claimed a weight of 500 lbs on a 75 1/2" chassis. Body color was optional, as was choice of engines. Car could be bought complete or as blueprints. Car even came with a parachute! (From Umbro Sales Brochure, courtesy of the Greenberg Collection)
      Last edited by Caustic Frog; January 22, 2013, 03:05 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

Now I really want it! V-Twin or some stupid fast crotch rocket motor, nahhhh I'd hurt myself

More..........

Name:	Umbro_blue_2.JPG
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	866546Click image for larger version

Name:	Umbro_Orange_1.jpg
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	866547Click image for larger version

Name:	mini_FC.jpg
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	866548Click image for larger version

Name:	Superbird_1_FC.jpg
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	866549Click image for larger version

Name:	Umbro_article.jpg
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	866550
        Last edited by Caustic Frog; January 22, 2013, 03:15 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

The newest class in the Nostalgia Drag races, Jr. Funny Car. It would be a hoot.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Jr. Dragster possibilities??
            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

NHRA will not allow FC bodies in Jr Dragster....IHRA ran them for a while....not sure if they still do.
              The Beatings will continue until MORALE IMPROVES !!!!

Comment

Working...
              X