Minimum CID for Engine Masters '13?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimum CID for Engine Masters '13?

I hate to mention Engine Masters because it always generates a torrent of criticism and defensiveness . . .

But . . .

Page 10 of the March '13 issue of Popular Hot Rodding says the minimum engine displacement for the 2013 Amsoil Engine Masters Challenge is "400 ci."

A typo? Or yet another way to protect the old OHV status quo against the multivalve engines (that none of the EM competitors seem to want to build)?

BTW, page 80 has a good quote from Bob Holmes about "contol[ling] your geeks" (unfortunately across the page from a tacky "male enhancement" quackery ad) Check it out! (the quote, not the ad)

PHR needs a little "enhancement" in that it's down to an anorexic 82 pages . . . .

No typo it's 400ci minimum. This year they are wanting the builds designed around what is more attainable to an average enthusiast or reader (less exotic parts).
    Nick Smithberg
    www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

Originally posted by BOSSMAN View Post
      No typo it's 400ci minimum. This year they are wanting the builds designed around what is more attainable to an average enthusiast or reader (less exotic parts).
      I guess it'll still be fun for the few who have the skills and budget to compete.

Of course you can almost count on one hand the number of American car models built with a 400+ cube mill in the last 30 years . . . .

(Why is it that I suspect GMPP has something to do with this "average enthusiast" rule?)

Comment

engine, masters and challenge.
        >=400ci is not easy.

the last easy was a 283 and a 1.8L 4 banger.

the fuel pros must like the work on the big engines...narrowing down masters is what they are doing.
        Last edited by Barry Donovan; January 22, 2013, 11:46 PM.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

400 cubes does not sound like the average enthusiast to me. You just ruled out the bucket load of stock stroke engines (LS1, 302, 351, 350, etc) that are the most frequently hot rodded. Not to mention some of the most popular stokers, 331, 347, 383. Strange choice in my opinion, but I guess I need to remember that they put on this competition to sell magazines, so they need a degree of variety from year to year.
          Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
          1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
          1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
          1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
          1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
          1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Those Bow-Tie boys will do anything to win . . . .

Upon further review . . . I guess the Hot Heads 385-cube Gen I Hemi was just getting too close for comfort. http://www.hothemiheads.com/

Time for a big "arm" . . . .

Comment

They're racing a dyno, I don't see that EM has much to do with the real world. Although it does look like it's a lot of fun (and very educational) for those who participate.

And Outsider....somewhere there is a demographic that gives a sh!t about little motors, but BS isn't that demographic.
              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by BBR View Post
                400 cubes does not sound like the average enthusiast to me.
                Maybe next year they'll set the minimum at 545 . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                  somewhere there is a demographic that gives a sh!t about little motors, but BS isn't that demographic.
                  Yeah, those would be the BSers who posted page after page bench racing a supercharged 302 Ford last week . . . or who follow the perils of peashootin', trans-crackin', oil leakin' Buford T. Justice . . . or . . . .

Comment

....or followed your non-nitrous DW misadventures with a puny 5 liter

Most of us would run a big motor if we could. Read the blown 302 thread again.
                    Last edited by squirrel; January 23, 2013, 07:45 AM.
                    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                      ....or followed your non-nitrous DW misadventures with a puny 5 liter

Most of us would run a big motor if we could. Read the blown 302 thread again.
                      All of this "big motor" trash talk is liable to make me rethink my "Billy Rosewood" escalation plan for future DWs . . . .

Don't goad me into showing up with a four cylinder just to prove a point . . . .

(Jon Huber's ARCA-head SOHC "four barrel")

Comment

Originally posted by The Outsider View Post
                        All of this "big motor" trash talk is liable to make me rethink my "Billy Rosewood" escalation plan for future DWs . . . .

Don't goad me into showing up with a four cylinder just to prove a point . . . .

(Jon Huber's ARCA-head SOHC "four barrel")
                        I know how we can stick a Volvo head on it...

I'm still learning

Comment

Yep, the 400cid rule sucks, and they made sure to eliminate the possibility of our hidden IR intake taking the win next year. Better testing with exhaust and we might have had it in 2012. Oh well.

The good news is, the phone's ringing off the hook with people looking for EFI help in 2013, I plan on being there, hopefully with a player.

At least one of those phone calls was a complete mind-blower for me.

And meanwhile, I was with Huber this past weekend - tuning all kinds of crazy sh!t they're involved in (32 Ford with a 14-71 blown Hemi, an MG Midget with a stroker 347, and get this - a 33' x 10.5' PONTOON BOAT... with a 575" big chevy and an Arneson surface drive!!! friend me on Facebook if you want to see videos of all three of these)

Huber is planning some big things for this year. For the first time we're putting his engine on an engine dyno and we're looking for more power. Definitely I will have video of that.

-Scott
                          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

It doesnt bother me, all the engines I want to build, except for one, are over 400ci. The LS I want to build will have a 4" crank, the Cleveland for the Mustang will get a 4" crank too. My Pontiacs start at 400ci, wont really mess with anything smaller. The only thing I plan to do that is smaller is a 3800 with high compression running ethanol, not exactly an EMC type build since its more about mileage than max power.

As stated when I was but a wee kid, "Its a 400ci world out there" at least for some of us.

It also doesnt bother me because it wont be all SBC, LSx, and early Hemis in the mag. The Olds and AMC were pretty cool builds last year though.

Comment

400 inch says bring back the CHI headed 400 Ford mutant bastard step child from Kaase?

It doesn't take much for a 6.2 LS to stretch out to 400 inches. It doesn't take much for a 6.2 Ford OHC to stretch out to 400... it won't take much for a modern Hemi to get there, and even a hasn't been used in 15 years Windsor is a cake walk for 400+ inches. That's the "Small block" class at Drag Week - 430 inches I believe?

We're not on the OHC superiority thing again are we? Why is it such a bad thing to have 400" of internal combustion?
                              Last edited by Beagle; January 23, 2013, 01:04 PM.
                              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                              X