70 Monte Carlo sale question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70 Monte Carlo sale question

My friend's having a tough time selling a very clean 70 Monte Carlo. It's an uglier gold color in and out, and has an 80's tune port 350 in it. So, my question for you is

Is it the color or the tune port that turns people off more in your opinion? (try to stay on topic)
    Last edited by groucho; January 23, 2013, 01:07 PM.
    STUGOTS

For me, the gold exterior wouldnt be a turn off- but the interior would deter me. As would the TPI 350 with such a big car, but FI is always nice on older cars
    Local person
    sigpic

Comment

whats the asking price?
      Charles

Comment

^^^I agree, it depends on the asking price. Or maybe the right person hasn't seen it yet. I don't think the color really has much to do with it on that old of a car, besides, I've seen some really nice looking gold cars.
        Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Not sure. some times it's one little thing that'll ruin a whole deal. Maybe doing some sort of cosmetic thing will change the the perception or presentation. Like a new set of wheel, stance or trim change. Like an ugly girl with an ugly dress, change the ugly dress and suddenly there's something that draws you to her and you don't know what is.
          Last edited by Huskinhano; January 23, 2013, 01:54 PM.
          Tom
          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I would bet that the TPI setup narrowed the market a bit. It is also tax time.
            Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

its a desirable car with an undesirable engine and color combo....it should be priced accordingly. i coukd overlook a crappy motor if the interior and paint look good, or i could overlook a crappy colored interior if the paint and motor are hot i could overlook all of it if the price is right....
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

OK, off point. Forget the price. I'm not looking to see it's value. I ONLY want to know the biggest turn off for you. Colors or the tune port motor?
                STUGOTS

Comment

No photos, no price? And a demand we stay on topic? Nice

Clean or not, with non-popular colors AND engine - most people looking at it are adding up how much it would cost to make it the way they want it. *edit* and most of the people who aren't even stopping to look at it - because the lack of curb appeal: Color, wheels, and possibly trim.

Options:
                  1. lower the price
                  2. wait for the buyer who loves it the way it is
                  3. take it to maaco and put a more sell-able color on it.

*edit* I guess #3 answered your question. The color of the car would be my choice... because I am less intimidated by an engine swap than a color change.
                  Last edited by yellomalibu; January 23, 2013, 02:40 PM.

Comment

not really off point, and wasnt trying to help with the value. It might strictly be the price thats keeping it from being sold.

oh, wait.... instead of talking price, you want to know where to SPEND more money to sell the car??

take the tpi stuff off. surely you have a carb and points dizzy laying around??

gold interior?? yikes... there's a grand to fix.

gold paint?? no problem unless its like, 24k gold colored paint.

arent you the gonzo king of buying and selling cars like that?? the real question is what is the very first thing you thought of to help sell the car??
                    Last edited by 1badmonkey; January 23, 2013, 02:34 PM.
                    Charles

Comment

I like Gold. < I think tuned port might scare people it would me . I think tax time and kind of skittish economy is a problem right now.

Comment

Originally posted by groucho View Post
                        OK, off point. Forget the price. I'm not looking to see it's value. I ONLY want to know the biggest turn off for you. Colors or the tune port motor?
                        For me......definitely the motor
                        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

I've learned one thing from this thread . . . BSers HATE TPI. They must burn the earlier Cross-fire injection system at the stake.

On the other hand, an obviously non-stock, small block, low-performing Monte Carlo in an earth-tone hue isn't an SS454 Chevelle in "resale red." It's more like the Chevelle's flabby, out-of-style cousin. It likely doesn't do anything particularly well. It's not likely to bring Barrett-Jackson money, or to be a quick seller, unless some old stock car racer or nostalgia-ridden disciple of Doug Marion happens along.

Of course, if it was tarted-up with giant pro-touring rims and a flavor-of-the-month LS lump, lemmings would be pouring out of the woodwork to snap up this hackneyed example of John Delorean's neo-classic, parts-bin, personal-luxury-on-the-cheap fetish.
                          Last edited by 38P; January 23, 2013, 04:04 PM.

Comment

It's the color, Gold is hard to sell..... I also hate brown, tan and red interiors.... The TPI is what it is, as long as it runs good, most people aren't going to care.....

On that note I got $500......
                            Last edited by TC; January 23, 2013, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Anniversary Gold is not a bad color if that's what it is.
                              Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Working...
                              X