The end of speedtv??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The end of speedtv??

Why is it everything I like has to get updated / changed or cancelled??? WTF???

less infomercials ?

Comment

FOX already screwed up the FUEL channel and now SPEED, looks like my cable bill is about to go down after I drop that package of channels from my line up
      Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Terrible, I hope they change their minds,Jackasses.

Comment

Why not just sell it to someone who gives a shit. SPEEDVISION was cool until FOX came along and F-d it up in the first place. There's enough people out there who love motorsports as well as the car hobby and spend lots of money in the process. If FOX is stupid enough to kill SPEED I'm sure someone else will step up and fill the gap.
          Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

I'm about done with cable as a whole. We got a $100 box from tigerdirect that will play anything streaming off the wireless router, netflix is $8 a month.... beats the heck out of cable prices.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary 351C View Post
              Why not just sell it to someone who gives a shit. SPEEDVISION was cool until FOX came along and F-d it up in the first place. There's enough people out there who love motorsports as well as the car hobby and spend lots of money in the process. If FOX is stupid enough to kill SPEED I'm sure someone else will step up and fill the gap.
              2x

TNN used to be good on Saturdays too, until Sumner Redstone's MTV/VIACOM/CBS mess turned it into "Spike" (a/k/a the Tat and male stupidity network) and cut down the gearhead stuff down to the tiny "Powerblock"

Discovery's "Velocity" channel is likely cutting into Speed's revenue, but It's a premium channel that I don't subscribe to, so maybe I'm wrong.

Speedvision was 1,000x better than "Speed" . . . "Lost Drive In" . . . lots more coverage of foreign racing and the WRC . . . flag-to-flag coverage of Le Mans and the Rolex 24 . . . daily Dakar Rally updates . . . plenty of automotive and racing history shows . . . even some bitchin aircraft shows.

Speed lost its way when it became captive to NASCAR (some NASCAR's good, but all the stupid NASCAR talkshows and practice sessions are over-the-top bad). And it's just gotten worse over time.

The problem for Speed is that its cable slot is just become too valuable and the attraction of "stick and ball" money for Fox is simply too great. That's bad news for gearheads, racing fans and Bangshifters.

I knew something was up when they started adding the "Fox Sports" logo to the "Speed" screen tag
              Last edited by 38P; January 24, 2013, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Lost drive in was fabulous - and how about crazy stuff like the swamp buggy races and those nutso Aussie ski boat like mid engine caged race boats that were effectively racing a road course in a boat?

Speed lost me years go
                - maybe Hulu and Netflix are all I need?
                - with the ever expanding - get what you want when you wan 'net
                - maybe we really are looking at the impending doom of broadcast and cable TV?
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Speed crapped out a while ago.

I just changed to Direct so that I could get NBCSports (for F1) and Velocity. So far I'm not overly impressed by Velocity.

Racing programming is on the decline.
                  I'm still learning

Comment

We need Bangshift TV! (oh wait, they already tried that . . . money men pulled the plug with zero cable households . . . my bad)

Comment

This demonstrates just how out of touch the network execs are..

Comment

Originally posted by tardis454 View Post
                        This demonstrates just how out of touch the network execs are..
                        Actually the sad part is it demonstrates that they are probably in touch (with money). The unfortunate reality is that Fox will make far more $$$$ with Speed as a general sports network than they ever could as a "motorsports" network. They have run it into the ground, but it would never have been more than a niche player in the overall market. (and never has been more than a small niche player). Getting to 81 million households is done by being a CHEAP item for cable to ad, therefore limited income for corporate.

It sucks & will be missed (especially here in Canada - we don't have Velocity or MAV TV and my understanding is that Fuel is just a bunch of MMA crap)

Comment

About all I watch on Speed any more are Gearz and Chop, Cut, Rebuild. It won't be missed much. If I could get Sunday Ticket by another means I'd just drop DirecTV altogether. Roku pretty well rocks.

Comment

Velocity's showing nature programming a lot now. I watch quite a few of the car shows they have like Wheeler Dealer, Legendary Motorcar, Chasing Classic Cars, etc, but I have a feeling they're phasing out the car stuff. I hardly ever watch anything on Speed anymore.

Comment

Part of the problem is the nature of TV. The programmers and advertisers believe that the shows have to be so "dumbed down" to appeal to a non-technical general audience that they tend not to attract enough hard-core viewers.

Also, nearly every cable network that has started out with a "narrowcasting" vision, from MTV to TLC, has eventually strayed in search of better ratings.

Comment

Working...
                              X