No announcement yet.

What impresses you at a car show?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I seriously doubt it. Unless Chad and Brian suddenly get a budget.

Since you like pro streets, you should hit up CC Super Nationals. I hear it will be pro streets galore.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, one of these days we will hit the CC Nationals. So many damn good shows around here, it's honestly hard to ever leave. I'm talking every month during the summer there are cruises with anywhere from around 10,000 cars, up to Woodward Dream Cruise, with anywhere from 30,000-40,000 cars. When the Hot Rod Power Tour comes to town, it's actually a relatively small show compared to the norm.

I hit Escondido when we were out in California this last summer. VERY good show, had a great time there. Also saw Freighburger at Bonneville during speed week. Was tempted to say high, but I've never been one to go gah-gah over meeting a "celeb," and just wrote it off as a cool experience. He was literally feet from me, near the starting line, with what I thought was a rediculous looking straw hat on. Rediculous until I saw many others wearing the same hat, looking more comfortable than I in my ball cap.
      Motor City Muscle

Comment

I meant the CC Street Machine Nats in Duquion. They are bringing in a ton of pro streets.

DF is no celeb. Normal guy, just go talk to him next time.
        Last edited by Scott Liggett; January 24, 2013, 12:20 AM.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Actual 'owner built' performance cars can still impress me.
          I don't care for poodled up 'YearOne'-cars, as I call them. Anyone with money can make these cars look nice.

I find it more impressing to see someone having tastefully rebuild/restored a car that aftermarket companies don't make parts for.
          www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

I like a good clean build, especially if it's been done by the owner and friends.
            A guy who has to go to the glove box to get engine details is not too impressive here.
            1997 Ranger 5.0L HO, GT40 heads/tubular intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, B303, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster mufflers, T5 trans, Tri-Ax shifter, CenterForce Dual Friction clutch, 8.8 Traction Lok 3.55 gears, Cobra 13" front brakes, Cobra 11.65" rear discs.
            1997 Mustang GT
            sigpic

Comment

Its the subject that does it for me. That Torino is great!

Comment

Clean well thought out cars
                no billet
                no braided
                no velvet

High performance motors, Y blocks, nail heads, flat heads, W motors.......something old school
                Tire and wheel package......gotta show some side wall
                Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

That Torino would be perfect if it had a big set of 17" wheels, or maybe 18" tops.

I must admit to getting a bit blase at car shows now too. I always look at the unusual and oddball models that you don't see very often. Multiple carb intakes are my kryptonite, they always draw me in for a closer look.

cheers
                  Ed
                  Last edited by fast Ed; January 24, 2013, 06:50 AM. Reason: add
                  Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                  07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                  88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

SS asked for "Old Guy" input. I'm not the oldest guy on here - but I'm close!

It takes a lot to impress me these days. In a word, I'm looking for UNIQUE. SBCs leave me cold - I quickly pass by anything with that under the hood. I think the "best" car that I've been around in a few years is Customwagon's Ford. It's pretty, it's unique, he drives it, and it has 1,000 little touches that make it unique without being in your face. Great car!

The pro-built stuff is nice but while I look at it I don't want to own it. I'm especially fond of Bobby Alloway's work (hope I spelled that right). The cars show a no-drama shop where the emphasis is on good design and great execution.

Dan

Comment

The cars that grab my attention are the ones built a little out of the ordinary, like that Suby/Nissan. A stock resto's and belly button 'customs' are boring to me.

Show cars that never get driven are another turnoff.
                      Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                      1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                      1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                      1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                      1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                      1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

I'm 51, is that old enough? I pretty much agree completely with the OP.

I think the best "car show" I've been to lately was the Drag Week 2011. It went on for a week, too....
                        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Jim, i'm 71 and I agree with you about the DW show. I like odd stuff like Henry-Js, Willys coupes, Nash Metropolitans and early Olds. Any kind of an engine except a SBC.

Comment

Originally posted by Supersport350 View Post
                            I've been into cars since I was 15 years old, and now, I'm 36. A lot has changed over the years, within the hobby, as well as my opinions.

I will admit, I own the asshole of muscle cars, the 1969 Camaro. To me, it was the best looking Camaro ever built, and amongst the best cars ever built, though that is my opinion. Opinions, like assholes, are to be had by everyone.

Over the years, it has gotten a lot harder to impress me. Once I went from a small block to a big block, for the most part, small block cars no longer impressed me. I'm not sure all orginal, all stock, has EVER impressed me. I can appreciate the preservation I suppose, but how much thought really has to go into restoring a car back to the exact way it was built in the first place?

I like seeing cars that have been given their own personality, by their owners. To the point, the more years that pass, the harder it is for a car to grab my attention when I walk by.

To make matters worse, this whole pro-touring trend has gone a bit too far in my opinion. This, from somebody who is building a 1970 Challenger with pro-touring as our design plan What bothers me most is the size of the wheels. Take those away, and I actually like most of what pro-touring represents. Though when you stuff a 22" or 24" rim under a tubbed "pro-street" car with a little rubber band tire on it, it looks stupid...in my opinion.

I tried to build my Camaro my way. Give it a personality that was my own. I have AFR heads, which I seldom see on BBC around these parts. I run an 1150 Dominator HP, which isn't all that common. And other little touches that I would hope would get people to stop and take a look.

Pro-street still captures my attention, making me a little old school I suppose. A blower coming out the hood is like a magnet, pulling me in. The centrifgal blowers, with their hideous plumbing and carb cap, they just don't do it for me. Twin turbo setups stop me in my tracks too.

Yet the car shows I go to, it seems that fewer and fewer cars catch my interest and impress me. For those who have been around this hobby longer than me, does it get even worse the older you get? Some times I just feel like I've seen it all, and dare I say, it gets a bit boring/repetitive?
                            BBC with ARF heads and Dom carbs are a dime a dozen around here

Comment

I've had my '67 Sprint Firebird (yes, that "other" Camaro) at shows, both Pontiac and General Admission shows. Parked in a row of other Firebirds, and alongside GTOs with V-8 after V-8 and Tri-Power after Tri-power, it draws the biggest crowd because it is unique.

"I didn't know that Pontiac even had a Six!"

I think a lot of people are drawn to things that are unusual and "original." And by "original, I don't mean factory original. I mean created original. The OHC-6 is both, and it gets a lot of attention.

When I go looking at other cars, I like to look for rare and original thinking, like that Torino, and the Daytona, and bone stock 1969 Trans Ams - all because they are pretty rare. I also appreciate what can be done on a budget like mine. Seeing what can be done with a huge CNC mill and an unlimited budget is also pretty cool, but it better have wings on it if i's going to impress me.

Comment

What gets my attention is stuff thats different, or like Scott said, certain ones that are way out of my build range. Factory restos dont really get my attention anymore.

But then I like anything thats all original, unrestored. especially if it shows some history-example being the 73 mustang Ive posted in the past. you can see it was driven, on fire once, and its got personality. The factory 100k restos that only see pavement from the trailer to the parking spot I just walk right by now.
                                Local person
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X