Definition of a "Street/ Strip Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Definition of a "Street/ Strip Car

I took the Machine out on the 23rd of May to the AMC event at National Trails...made some passes with it and I was pretty happy...it went 12.66 at 110 MPH on the motor...now I pride myself on it being "Street Legal"...full interior...no attempt to cut weight out or anything like that...then tonight I had it out with the radials on it...made a run to Wal Mart to pick up some sinus pills (man I am sick)...hard to get it away from a stop light without spinning...4.56 gears, 9 inch with a spool, 4 speed...so I was thinking... this car is a handful on the street...and not really a "Race Car" on the strip...so is it the best of both worlds...or the worst...someone was telling me at Great AMC Day that my car was filled with "Compromises"...and it wouldn't ever be fast if I didn't address some of them...and on the street it truly is a compromise...it has manual steering...not much vacuum for brakes....drag shocks all the way round make the ride not very good...and it is really really loud...not to mention the tricky driving involved with the inline 4 -speed shifter...does anyone else have a car built full of compromises because you don't want to go to far one way or the other??

Re: Definition of a "Street/ Strip Car

why dont you just make it a racecar you drive on the road if its making you compromise anyways,then you just have to compromise by driving a full on racecar ;D

Comment

When ever I biuld a car for myself its always right there riding that fine line. The last car I did for myself was a 73 dodge challenger, and I had a 360 bored and stroked with 11.1 compression huge valves and cam, drove it to groovy Tuesday and went into the 9's with it on motor only no rollcage or safety stuff(only got to make that one pass....lol) but thats the way I like them...............ask Tiresmoke! about it, I tricked them telling them I was only putting a cam in it but it took me a week to clean the motor at a car wash.........lmao.....you should of seen everyones faces when we fired it up.............lmao....again....

Comment

I guess I'm not THAT radical

Comment

Not trying to be a dick, but there are some things on the car that make it a PITA to drive on the street that you really don't need, or get any benefit from at your performance level(and faster). Ditch the inline shifter and the spool and it will be much more pleasant to drive on the street, and if it were mine I would get rid of the 4.56's and the drag shocks too. I would be willing to bet that if you stepped it up to a 3.90 gear the change in E.T. would be almost nothing. The car is too rare and too cool to turn into a stripped down race car. If you put your efforts into making it a hard running car that must be a nice car to drive around you can still make it even faster and nicer to drive. Spools on the street suck.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel25A
            does anyone else have a car built full of compromises because you don't want to go to far one way or the other??
            Yes.

Although my 55 is quicker and has fewer compromises, because I put a blower on it!

But it's still really slow compared to race cars, and gets crappy mileage and doesn't handle very well compared to "normal" street cars
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

It is really up to you to decide what is to radical, thats just the way I like em

Comment

4.56 how tight you spin it in the quarter? what is 1st gear good for like 10 feet?

Comment

4.56 is not to bad in town, If its N/A it needs it but if you use one of the newer Overdrives it will have a lower first gear so the deep geer in the back is not needed.

Hey Dave, not all of us have a power adder, LOL or Two
                  2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                  First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                  2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                  2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

388" small block
                    12.5:1 CR
                    4200 stall
                    4.56 gears
                    TH700R4......did i mention the 4.56 gears?
                    6 point rollbar
                    175 shot n2o

I would drive this thing everyday if I [email protected] doesn't matter what other guys think of your ride, as long as you enjoy it and more importantly, you DRIVE IT!
                    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by fabricatordave
                      4.56 how tight you spin it in the quarter? what is 1st gear good for like 10 feet?

It isn't even huffing in the quarter...around 6 grand...and yes...1st gear is pretty quick

Comment

Everybody has their own definition.

Mine is: Real street cars have heater hoses and inner fenders.

;D
                        Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                        1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                        1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                        1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                        1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                        1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster
                          388" small block
                          12.5:1 CR
                          4200 stall
                          4.56 gears
                          TH700R4......did i mention the 4.56 gears?
                          6 point rollbar
                          175 shot n2o

I would drive this thing everyday if I [email protected] doesn't matter what other guys think of your ride, as long as you enjoy it and more importantly, you DRIVE IT!
                          I like! I like!

It kind of reminds me of my 1971 Dodge Demon.

440" Big Mopar
                          9.5:1 CR
                          3200 stall
                          3.23 gears
                          727 Torqueflite
                          No rollbar (eek!)
                          125 NOS Powershot
                          SS springs
                          28 x 9 M/T ET Drags

11.33@122 (and 18 mpg!)

Ron (I never should have sold that car...)
                          It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr4Speed
                            Not trying to be a dick, but there are some things on the car that make it a PITA to drive on the street that you really don't need, or get any benefit from at your performance level(and faster). Ditch the inline shifter and the spool and it will be much more pleasant to drive on the street, and if it were mine I would get rid of the 4.56's and the drag shocks too. I would be willing to bet that if you stepped it up to a 3.90 gear the change in E.T. would be almost nothing. The car is too rare and too cool to turn into a stripped down race car. If you put your efforts into making it a hard running car that must be a nice car to drive around you can still make it even faster and nicer to drive. Spools on the street suck.
                            No offense taken...the spool is no biggie...I have run one for two years and never had a bit of worry with it on the street or strip...the inline shifter...well that is a pain on the street but alot better on the strip then the H pattern I used to use...and the drag shocks are adjustables but they are set stiff because being a coil car it really loads the right rear

Comment

Street car is a different definition to different people. This car is define as a street car cause it can drive anywhere on the street and is registered and insured. It is 9:1 compression, small cam, mild motor and runs in the 10's on the motor and 9's with only a 150 shot of nitrous.

Most people would argue it is not their definition of a street car, but it fits the bare minimum definition of being a street car and has prov-en it time and again by driving several miles to a race. The car is gutted, and not legal for NHRA competition. But the car is a moneymaker. It is retired right now getting freshened up.

Here is the Mustang winning against one of the fastest production bike sold -ZX14- 1400cc production bike, and this one has up grades. This ZX14 has run low 9's with a pro rider on it.

Audio was removed due to music, here is the replacement with no music-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2s7qlMCg0U

X VS Turbo Todd with music
                              Better quality upload and music added...Bike ZX1400 Compton Street Races

Comment

Working...
                              X