S.A.M. - anybody gone there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.A.M. - anybody gone there?

I'm giving serious thought to changing my vocation. I'm a computer jock as most of y'all know, and I dig the pay but I have come to hate the job. No secret there, 21 years of unstable relationship will do that to you.

Anyway, I am thinking of "Changing gears" ... going to machinist school, bleeding out my bank account on tools and junk, and taking up light machine work for an income. You know, turning a fun hobby into a chore job.

Has anyone here been to S.A.M? Recommendations? Razzies?

I about had a stroke looking at the costs but then I thought about what I paid for my brat to go to college and it's no different. I'll just be sending myself to school.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

I also like UNOH's program. You got to love a school that owns their own race track and supports several racing team.

They have a concrete pad behind the dyno building that has a sign that reads "no burnouts beyond here."

Of course that school isn't in Texas.
    I'm still learning

Comment

In the grand scheme of things, I see automotive machining as a shrinking market. At least it's sure shrunk around here. There are a few shops that keep busy, but it's nothing like it used to be when engines wore out after 100k miles.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Bob - HA! No burnouts past here... good one.

Good point Jim. While I don't need a full time income from it, I would like to be able to generate a minimal revenue stream at some point. I really kind of want the knowledge though, so I'm willing to write off the entire cost as a learning experience. I figure the education won't hurt me.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Any local shops that you could pick up hours at to get an on the job education? Could get you where you want to be without the massive expense. Nothing like practical experience.
          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

That sounds like a plan to me....I did that about a dozen years ago, worked about 20 hrs a week at a machine shop. Lots of hard work and not much pay, but I learned a few things.

Of course the first thing you get to learn, is how to take apart and clean engine parts....and it usually involves dirt, heat, nasty chemicals spraying in your face, etc.
            Last edited by squirrel; January 25, 2013, 09:55 AM.
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
            X