Car Theft & Ways To Prevent It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Theft & Ways To Prevent It

After reading about the stolen 56 Nomad I got to thinking about ways to prevent car theft.

First one was obvious, Wheel Boot
    This is prossily the best theft deterrent there is..
    It's cheap, easy to use, easy to store, works on cars, trucks, trailers, worth the dough..
    Buy two & guarantee your car doesn't get stolen.
    (And if you owe parking tickets just boot your own car, the Cops would never know!)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400381981990

Next one is Column Cover for GM 'easy peel' columns.
    A good solution for a daily driver but a show car usually gets rolled 'quietly' into/onto a waiting trailer/flatbed..

Lojack is ok too, but only if the car's being driven..

As an owner of two GM G-bodies with these type columns, both cars wear a column lock when parked. Yes, sometimes even at a judged show.
    GM G-bodies, because I can't afford a 69 Camaro.

Comment

A pro with a tow truck won't be stopped if determined. A wheel dolly or drag the car tire is still easy for a pro.

The run of the mill impulse thief are usually deterred with stuff like the club, etc. My friend Erik had the steering wheel on his '66 mustang sawed through and the club left in the front yard. Mustang was found around the corner though as it was a POS, lol, and likely was pushed there and the thief(s) couldn't get it to start, lol.

Heard pull the coil wire, but then another car around probably has one with an easy to pop hood.

Pulling the rotor out is a bit more "hidden" and takes quite a bit of troubleshooting time, but is likely a pain in the rear for rear distributor engines. Running a complex EFI system like mine with a few choice kill switches, fuses pulled, or EFI setting a rev limit of 200rpm might be a bit more deterrent.

Of course the tow truck still rules all for getting the car. Which the next best thing is recovery tools. Like Lo-Jack or leaving a cell phone secretly charging under a seat or in the trunk with an app to let you track it online. Works well if you have two cell phones (your's and the Mrs's?).
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post

Like Lo-Jack or leaving a cell phone secretly charging under a seat or in the trunk with an app to let you track it online. Works well if you have two cell phones (your's and the Mrs's?).
        That's what I was thinking....given all the new electronic gadgets today, there
        might be tracking devices available.
        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Heck, I always back Earl up against the curb and leave it in reverse. Shaved door handles, so they have to break something.......
          oh....and the real strategic part.......I ALWAYS park next to something that would be more desirable to a thief..........
          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I had friend that used to chain his Camaro to a tree through the slotted mags. Wheel locks on the wheels and it never got stolen.

Comment

Easier fix, dont have a car that anyone wants. Barring that, leave it parked where it cant be easily accessed with a flatbed/towtruck and make it near impossible to start. My 70 GTO sat unlocked in North Charleston, SC for almost two years.

It looked like this or was two tone blue the entire time.

Really though, the cell phone in the car with a tracker is probably the easiest and cheapest way to go about it. You can use it in an emergency if your phone runs dead and you are stranded somewhere. Just get the cheapest one that can have the tracking app on it.

I figure if they can get one of mine out of my yard, without alerting me or the dogs, not getting shot, and figure out how to start it, then maybe I should employ them to work on stuff.

Comment

ive got a number of items im using on my 56 since it wont have a roof, im using a battery cut out switch used on CAT heavy machinery for starters, fuel cut off is another since the fuel cell will be easily accessible, plus im using a quick release disconnect on the steering wheel like whats used in NASCAR, if they can get past those three, theres always the GPS tracker
                Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

This was more a way to deter car jackers but it would be effective to stop lots of bad guys --

That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Stopping people from driving away in your car is really pretty simple. Steering wheel locks and kill switches. Alarms do nothing. But, stopping someone from towing your car away is much harder.
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Girl I know had her Olds stolen and turned into a rolling crack house. When she got it back I had to put in a new steering column. While under there I installed a 70's GM high beam switch in the usual spot on the floor. Who ever looks at that ,Right? I ran the wire from the neutral safety switch thru it since her Olds had the turn signal / high beam switch on the column. Just click the old style high beam switch once upon exiting the vehicle and your car is dead without disconnecting the battery and loosing every computer memory it has. Get in and click it again to start. And anyone watching won't see your foot move unless you are real obvious about looking down while doing that. And to kill the electrical on my Studebaker I pull the maxi fuse from my Painless wiring harness. Yeah it won't keep a tow truck away but no juice will eliminate the hot wire thing.

Comment

Just buy a car with a manual trans. Dumbasses!

Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

it's alarming how many people don't know how to drive a manual trans - there's an entire generation that's never SEEN a car with a manual trans, crank windows, or manual door locks.

There's no way to prevent theft entirely - tracking is really the only option that will save you if a motivated thief with a roll back tow truck wants your ride.

We've had vehicles stolen by roll backs in broad daylight on company property.
                          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                            We've had vehicles stolen by roll backs in broad daylight on company property.
                            Where's Harry Bennett and the "Service Department" when you need 'em

I guess they've got to "spot" GM a few breaks, just to keep 'em in the game . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                              it's alarming how many people don't know how to drive a manual trans - there's an entire generation that's never SEEN a car with a manual trans . . .
                              FoMoCo dumping the MT option in the F-series hasn't helped this trend . . . Just sayin.

Comment

Working...
                              X