No announcement yet.

money separation anxiety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we have hardwood throughout the house, of course the house was built in 1905....

I have no advice for you on the " she wants to spend on something YOU really dont want to replace" though. I have that issue as well some times.
    Charles

Comment

I'm late to this party but will be staring down the same barrel shortly. The house we're buying has tons of carpet, the house we're moving out of has zero. I'm seriously considering one of those vacuum robot things.

I will make this suggestion - if you and your wife are not on the same page on a money spending issue - continue the conversation and work out a compromise. It may be a very wise thing to create some separate savings accounts where you put money for specific things. A friend in OH (not Stiney - but he's met him) has taken this strategy to the extreme -but it works for him. You could have an account for each project car, another for hardwood, another for a deck, kitchen remodel, what have you.

If you put the money aside in an agreed amount fashion - then pay cash for the purchase as planned - it's a bunch easier to deal with all the way around.

His and hers and ours can be a real thinned eggshell walk - tread lightly!

SHOP for flooring - allot.

does peak auctions come to your area? I've saved a metric ton or more of money buying stuff from those auctions, but you have to do a bit of research ahead of time - people can and do pay more than retail for some stuff when the bidding gets frenzied... They usually have lots of hardwood, laminates and bamboo.

bamboo varies A TON in price, thickness and coloring.
      Last edited by milner351; February 1, 2013, 11:57 AM.
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

no spiky high heels on the new hardwood floor... so your days as a dancer are over with. For what it's worth.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
          no spiky high heels on the new hardwood floor... so your days as a dancer are over with. For what it's worth.
          Have you started drinking already?
          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

I think he was hoping for pictures of your wife in said spike heels...

hardwoods wear like iron our current house had carpet over hardwood, we took the carpet out, pulled the staples and tack strips, and clean it - did NOT refinish. That was 8 years ago - only signs of wear are on the stairs.

if your floors are not very close to level - shy away from floating laminates - they will literally bubble if the floor is uneven - brother in law head one hell of a time with that.
            Last edited by milner351; February 1, 2013, 02:06 PM.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
              Have you started drinking already?

Charles

Comment

Yeah, I have money separation issues for certain things. I'll have a hem and haw over spending a hundred bucks on some things, like recently I mulled over getting an air hockey or pool table for $100 and $150 (after Christmas special from the walmart). Something to throw up in the attic and make sort of a man cave. I've already got a dart board and plenty of room. But I didn't want to spend that. Later that day, I bought 5 boxes of ammo and spent what I would have spent on the pool table. And the pool table would last longer. I guess the ammo could fit in the car and not have to come back with the truck for it. As far as flooring goes, I like hardwood in the kitchen and bathrooms. Carpet everywhere else. I don't like walking in the house with shoes on, and carpet makes a room seem more comfortable to me. It also seems to be warmer, though that may be a physiological thing, carpeted rooms feel warmer to me usually.

Comment

Working...
                X