Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andy4639 View Post
    http://www.circletrack.com/techartic...s/viewall.html

If you’re using a mechanical click-type wrench, this one turns out to be absolutely true. A click-type torque wrench presses a ball into a detent that’s held in place by a spring. The wrench is normally adjusted by twisting the handle on the wrench. Twisting it in compresses the spring and requires more torque to pop the ball out of the detent. This is how it measures torque.

But if the spring is stored with the wrench “loaded” or set for a high torque rating, the pressure on the spring can cause it to weaken over time. To protect the wrench it should always be returned to the lowest setting before storing it back into your toolbox. For big wrenches (measuring in ft-lbs increments) the lowest setting is usually 20 ft-lbs. If, for some reason, you have a click-type torque wrench that goes all the way down to zero, leave the wrench set to 10 or 20 pounds. You always want to keep a minimum amount of pressure on the spring so that the ball can’t fall all the way out of the detent.

For other styles of torque wrenches, this isn’t an issue. The newest digital torque wrenches use an electronic strain gauge to measure torque, so when the wrench is not in use the only thing you may need to do is remove the batteries so that there is no chance of corrosion ruining your expensive digital wrench.

A torque wrench can’t measure... read full caption
    A torque wrench can’t measure friction. For most fasteners the final torque will depend on the type of lubricant used. Motor oil, for example, has a different friction coefficient than moly lube or ARP’s new Ultra Torque lubricant. Make sure your torque number takes into account the lubricant being used. You can get this type of information from fastener manufacturers like ARP.

Read more: http://www.circletrack.com/techartic...#ixzz2JgLLGkWn
    I think car craft just had an article too, maybe...
    Charles

Comment

Car Craft has one this month. If you don't relax the spring it does impact accuracy.
      I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post

I sure don't get the thing about setting a torque wrench to zero after you use it. I guess it's the mechanical engineer in me.
        It makes sense to me. I'm just no good at explaining what's in my thoughts. I always zero mine
        STUGOTS

Comment

I agree its best to at least do a check with a torque wrench on customers' car. If it had know it was acting up and you no longer trust it, I. Would say buy new fix old. Your tools are your lively hood.
          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
            I sure don't get the thing about setting a torque wrench to zero after you use it. I guess it's the mechanical engineer in me.
            I don't get it either. Funny thing is... I always put it back to zero though.
            Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

Mine's digital, it zero's itself........

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                Mine's digital, it zero's itself........
                Keep thinking that.
                I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by jcharliem View Post
                  I don't get it either. Funny thing is... I always put it back to zero though.
                  Its simple, the spring fatigues if kept compressed.
                  I'm still learning

Comment

as a side note, I did make sure to turn my wrench down today...
                    Charles

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
                      Keep thinking that.
                      Why you think the SnapOn Digital ones aren't accurate??...

Comment

Its simple, the spring fatigues if kept compressed.
                        fatigue is for valve springs,
                        compression, and memory is the torque wrench.

I remember the air force stuff. Very serious about torque wrenches.

I finally got my own to pop the top off exceeding 140 foot pounds on an axle nut. That one chunk sounded like a giant bee flying off into the forest.

..that leads to another note.

a 150 foot pound wrench is good for 100...I am going way beyond the need next time.
                        Previously boxer3main
                        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by 1badmonkey View Post
                          Im going to send in the mac for calibration as soon as i have a new wrench. the age of the wrench doesnt bother me, its the number of "clicks" that it has done.

i just need to have a 2nd tool here to send the first one in!

Joe, are your tools certified by a military place or do you send them with a tool guy or ship them some place? I was just going to send mine with the snap-on guy.

this is the snap on wrench

the main benefit is, unlike a twist style wrench, I can leave this one set and it doesnt hurt the tool (not that I ever forget to turn the Mac down... every other day)
                          I have that torque wrench in 1/2" drive, ive used it twice over the past 5 years, i'll sell it to you CHEAP,its in my garage collecting dust
                          Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                            Why you think the SnapOn Digital ones aren't accurate??...
                            You think that it doesn't use the same mechanism, or does it have some sort of electronic strain gauge?
                            I'm still learning

Comment

You think that it doesn't use the same mechanism, or does it have some sort of electronic strain gauge?
                              I have no idea, I just turn it on, it zero's itself, I set it to ft-lbs, set the desired amount of ft-lbs and it beeps when I hit it, it also shows me the highest amount of torque applied after it beeps, so you know what the final torque was.... It also does ft-lbs, in-lbs, and Nm.....
                              Last edited by TC; February 2, 2013, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Torque Wrenches

Yes at work the wrenches have a high and low that has to be followed.
                                If we need to torque a bolt to 300lbs we need a 400lbs torque wrench. If we have to torque to 20 lbs are lower it has to be a in lb torque wrench most of the time.
                                Retirement is better than I thought!

Comment

Working...
                                X