Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can you tell me about a 02 SAAB 9-5 SE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can you tell me about a 02 SAAB 9-5 SE?

My Subie just died, I think it just shit the ring gear. I've put enough money into this car and this is the straw that does it. What can you tell me about SAABs and this one? I'm thinking of buying it.

http://www.agenteverywhere.com/auto....DBC34C8A90C376#
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

nice looking one... i think it may be the last year before the sale to GM...
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

GM bought all of SAAB in the 90's. That's near the end of GM's ownership (~2008 I think, I know my 07 is a GM).

I'd pass on that one though, it's got the 3.0t engine. It's the same 3.0 V6 from the Catera and the turbo is only on one exhaust bank with no wastegate. The car looks great but I'd rather have one of SAAB's own 2.3t I4's. Also if you find a 2003+ they made a lot of suspension upgrades and the 2003 Linears still ran on regular gas despite the turbo. Aeros and Arcs (that SE is an Arc) ran on premium.
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

The long-term warrantee work is superb.

Oops, sorry... that is, IF you do it all yourself. Cuz you'll hafta.
        Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

I do mean to be evil..

you got the wrong sube and saab. go back at least ten years older than your oldest one...
          there is even a saab that mixed in the wort of sube. I meant to say worst.

anyway. I'd go for the camaro wagon, or mustang wagon.

that genre of size of wagon, economical...
          i'd even hunt down an old volvo mercedes, odd bimmer.
          bimmer even made an aWD that did better than the sedan with the same AWD...

I hate this subject. that size wagon is such a tease.
          Last edited by Barry Donovan; February 2, 2013, 09:27 AM.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
            ...the turbo is only on one exhaust bank with no wastegate....
            YGTBSM!? How the hell does that work...got to be working the computer hard on that one to keep the air fuel right.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
              I do mean to be evil..

you got the wrong sube and saab. go back at least ten years older than your oldest one...

holy crap dude... looking for corvair pics for the other thread and i came across this.

Charles

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
                I do mean to be evil..

My family of 4 (and even one time fit 3 adults and 2 carseats with kids in them) fits fine in my 9-5 wagon. Only way to get a bigger one is a Merc, BMW (expensive), Magnum (can't stand chyrsler products), or Taurus/Sable (way boring).
                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by hotrodfords View Post
                  YGTBSM!? How the hell does that work...got to be working the computer hard on that one to keep the air fuel right.
                  It's a turbo for the sake of saying that every SAAB has a turbo. It's sized so that it can't get too aggressive for the engine and it feeds into a common intake. The exhauste just runs into a Y pipe then out a single pipe to the back where the muffler has 2 tips vs the single on a Linear or the oval on an Aero. The engines aren't horrible but I don't trust them as much as true SAAB 2.3t.
                  Central TEXAS Sleeper
                  USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Wow, a single turbo off one bank? Well it's been a day. Nothing like having a gun to your head to go and buy a car with no idea what you want or want to spend. At the end of the day we dragged back an 04 Isuzu Ascender, think a rebadged Trail Blazer. Nice truck, dark blue, long wheel base version with 3rd row seats. Really clean, runs and drives very nice, 96,000 miles. No regrets other then my wallet is $7500 lighter. After all the crap we saw, we're happy. One dealer had two mid 2000 Yukon and Trail Blazer that sells stuff cheap. One had 170,000 and the other 190,000. He wanted $7K for each! I'll post picture when it's daylight. Thanks for everyones input!
                    Tom
                    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Ascender=Rainier=9-7=Envoy=Trail Blazer=Bravada....

Seems like the only GM not to get it was Caddy with the STS based SRX filling the space.

I6 or 5.3L V8?
                      Central TEXAS Sleeper
                      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
                        Ascender=Rainier=9-7=Envoy=Trail Blazer=Bravada....

Seems like the only GM not to get it was Caddy with the STS based SRX filling the space.

I6 or 5.3L V8?
                        4.2 I6, runs nice. A couple minor problems like a broken gas cap and a bad LF door speaker. I see speakers on fleabay for about $35. I got only one key fob but bought 2 new ones for $20 shipped. Hey thanks CTX on the SAAB info. knowning what you said, I wouldn't have been happy. While this is a different type of vehicle from a 4 door wagon, this fits what we need much better with the 4 wheel drive and being in the country part of the week in PA.

5.3? I didn't know GM put those in but I guess with Durango and Explorer having a V8 as an option, this would have one also. The I6 is fine, no regrets with it.
                        Last edited by Huskinhano; February 2, 2013, 09:43 PM.
                        Tom
                        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Working...
                        X