Big Bucks $

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Bucks $

One of the things I wanted to see back at the Engine Masters Challenge was the fat purse involved for the Champion. Back when I was a competitor, it was the huge purse that attracted me to the competition more than anything else, and if it wasn't for that Kaase, I would have been in the fat.

Ed Zinke has really taken the point on getting this done, with dramatically more contingeny catagories and companies than in recent years, and a re-arrangement of the payout means the winner of the EMC can walk away with $80,000!

We may even be able to push that number further as more aftermarket companies come on board through the year. I'd like to see some new guys in the contest, so I figured I give my fellow bangshifters the heads up on this, but you cannot join in without having an application in by February 15, 2013.

Applications to this invitation competition can be found online at: http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...er_application

So, am I going to see any of my Bangshift buds at the '13 EMC? I know that I've met several members there over the years, and I'm sure they found the competition to be a great time.

So, who's in?

-dulcich
    Attached Files

They told me I could keep the stapler.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

interesting stuff.

the 400 and beyond is pretty much done in real world.
      drag racing and stoich challenge is a great place for them...
      both events show just how freakishly large they really are.
      Last edited by Barry Donovan; February 4, 2013, 12:45 PM.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
        They told me I could keep the stapler.
        Hey, I was wondering where that went!
        -dulcich

Comment

I think we had the busiest dyno room at the competition.
          I'm still learning

Comment

Steve
            The payouts got spread over 6 places. The first years the payback was only 3 places. I think that in 2007 when I ran the 331chev named scrappy the junkyard dog everyone missed my point. Because the payouts went down but the cost to compete didn,t I came with the junkyard engine. The only new parts in that engine where the pistons and cam and lifters. I knew that I was trying to kill an elephant with a bb gun but I was trying to make a point, just like the LS engine w the flat tappet cam. You don,t need to spend a huge amount of money on unreliable roller cams and lifters to make good power. This is the worlds best dyno challenge and I know it must be getting harder and harder to keep it fresh and attract more sponsors. So sum new thinking is in order as I see it. Like my idea to have every one run the same camshaft. You decide on the correct cu. in . and compression ratio. 1.76 max rocker ratio and have fun. Or maybe a 4 cylinder contest.?
            Dave

Comment

I keep wishing for a turbo class...

To be clear, that statement above is not criticism; I learn a lot from it now.
              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; February 5, 2013, 06:39 AM.
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I could afford a new stapler for the dyno room...

Last edited by Beagle; February 5, 2013, 01:58 PM.
                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by dave storlien View Post
                  Steve
                  The payouts got spread over 6 places. The first years the payback was only 3 places. I think that in 2007 when I ran the 331chev named scrappy the junkyard dog everyone missed my point. Because the payouts went down but the cost to compete didn,t I came with the junkyard engine. The only new parts in that engine where the pistons and cam and lifters. I knew that I was trying to kill an elephant with a bb gun but I was trying to make a point, just like the LS engine w the flat tappet cam. You don,t need to spend a huge amount of money on unreliable roller cams and lifters to make good power. This is the worlds best dyno challenge and I know it must be getting harder and harder to keep it fresh and attract more sponsors. So sum new thinking is in order as I see it. Like my idea to have every one run the same camshaft. You decide on the correct cu. in . and compression ratio. 1.76 max rocker ratio and have fun. Or maybe a 4 cylinder contest.?
                  Dave
                  Dave, you know we are going to center on the meat and potatoes V8's that our whole industry is built on, right? Though I have built some Seriously hot fours and like them, I mostly built the oddballs like BMC A and B Series, 1850 and 2L 8V slant four Triumphs, 1725 pushrod Sunbeams, Rovers, O-Series, along with the more common Mitsu's and Hondas and Jeep F's and L's. I know you can bolt together a hellofa Quad 4.

If I took your advice on going with a 'spec' cam, there would probably be only two guys interested in competing... you and me... and you'll probably want to kick me in the ass for speccing the wrong cam!
                  -dulcich
                  Last edited by dulcich; February 5, 2013, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Steve man ur a gas, you see that is what I,m talking about. Lets get creative with the engine build and let the builder design his engine the best he thinks will match that cam specs. So say you have the cam specs of [email protected] in. and [email protected] ex. on a 110 lobe sep. Now you could run that cam in a 331 chev w 13.5 to 1 or say a 406 ford with 10.0 comp. As long as it ran on pump gas you were ok. Like we did the first year in the EMC. I see a big challenge in just understanding the effective compression. But then I think outside the box a lot I guess.
                    As for the 4 cylinder engine idea I see the problem here is that we are a V8 culture and well bigger is better , isn,t it. Evan though the power per cu. in maybe less than that little 4 cylinder engine. Its all about that big number isn,t it. Not how efficient that engine is. or maybe we should let the 4 cylinder engine compete with them big bad V8s. Food for thought ?

Comment

Maybe.....4,6,8 cylinder class?
                      (footsteps running )
                      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                        I keep wishing for a turbo class...

To be clear, that statement above is not criticism; I learn a lot from it now.
                        They would have to put a limit on how much boost you can run, and take away that pesky 400ci rule, then even I would show up....

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                          Maybe.....4,6,8 cylinder class?
                          (footsteps running )
                          I'd bring ONE engine for all THREE classes!!!
                          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

4 cylinder engines would be too hard to fit on the dyno, I love the idea personally because I too would be working with something interesting in that class. Turbo engines would easily outrun the dyno equipment at the event, so that's out also (again, an idea I love, but not practical to allow at the event).

Anyhow, I'm already working on an EMC2013 project. Let me just say this Dulcich, it's a shame there's a 400ci minimum because someone big would be showing up with something... incredible. But getting that engine up to 400ci is impossible. Either way, I'll be there!
                            Last edited by dieselgeek; February 5, 2013, 09:45 PM.
                            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I love that pic, Team Hot Heads got alotta love from you guys and we really appreciate it!

Have to see who gets accepted this year but hopefully some familiar faces will be present for 2013!
                              Nick Smithberg
                              www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

Working...
                              X