Words I never thought I would hear!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Words I never thought I would hear!

My wife has a 2005 Jeep Wrangler with the Rubicon package. It is pretty much just a off-road toy. She has a 2012 Wrangler 4 door to daily drive. We have a place at the Silver Lake Sand Dunes, and it lives there all summer long. About 3 years ago I decided to make it more fun to drive. So, I built and installed a supercharged 6.2 LS from a Cadillac CTS-V in it. When we built the engine I added really good parts to the bottom end with the plan for future power upgrades. Currently it makes 630 HP on the engine dyno.

Late last year I decided it was time to turn the power up for 2013. With spring coming, I decided I better get moving. On Saturday as we were pulling the engine and my wife starts asking "why would you do this", "it already has enough power", and "you will be messing with it all summer long". All power junkies know the answers to these questions, "because I can", "there is no such thing as enough power", and "that is who I am".

Her last attempt to stop me from continuing was "how much is this going to cost?". I said not a lot. Right away she knew I was not telling the truth. I said, just adding a new cam, CNC'd heads, Kenny Bell 3.6 Supercharger, trans brake, custom lock-up torque converter, and maybe a larger rear axle.

Then she said the words I NEVER thought I would hear her say, "wouldn't you rather invest that money in ANOTHER CAR?" I had to stop and think about that for a minute. Was she really giving me the OK to buy another car? Which car should I buy, 55 Chevy gasser, another drag car, early Corvette, 428 Cobra Jet Mustang, LS6 Chevelle, decisions, decisions, decisions.

After much thought (about 10 seconds), I decided to go ahead with the engine upgrades (something about having a 900hp Jeep excited me) AND buy another car. I am sure that is what she was really saying. Now I just have to decide which one.
    Last edited by Mike Copeland; February 6, 2013, 02:02 PM.
    If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Brighton, MI

LOL, I bet you have the nicest, most comfortable couch on earth!
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

and / or one hellofa nice dog house!

Go Mike Go!
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

livin' the dream...
        Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Mike - I've had the mid-life divorce and built a mid-life crisis car. The car was WAY cheaper. Suggest that you assure that you can do the car without the OTHER thing. I've met your bride and you married better than she did (as did most of us). You aren't gonna do better. PM me if you need further fatherly advise.

Dan

Comment

Oh I know I married many levels up. I always say she is the reason we have made it 37 years.

She has the bug almost as bad as I do. Last week we finished the supercharger install on her 2011 Camaro, right before we pulled the engine out of the Jeep. She has some pretty cool vehicles and keeps me on the ball updating them.
            If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Brighton, MI

Comment

does she have any single sisters...?

Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Well, here is a way to look at it. You have a running drivable vehicle that provides lots of fun and has silly power, because really 600hp is more than most tires can handle on the street... but hell yeah its fun. Getting another vehicle means this one stays running and stays fun while you get to scratch the 'get dirty itch' and eventually you will have two fun cars with silly power. The other one can get the bigger heads, cam, blower and make 900hp that you have absolutely no hope of ever hooking on pavement without a 55 gallon drum of VHT.

Your wife gets it, she is obviously one of us and realizes its more fun to have the toy running and acquire another toy to scratch all the itches.

The drawback to the way she sees it, and the way I see it, is soon you have 40 cars sitting around. Each has a different purpose and provides the scratch for a very specific itch. I just cant wait till the weather gets a little better and I can get some scratching in again.

Comment

Working...
                X