Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should i buy brand new or used car tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should i buy brand new or used car tires?

I have 1981 Nissan Maxima. My car's tires almost dead so i'm thinking to replace new tires. Some one suggested that to buy used tires. I've already gotten used tires in the past that have worked out just fine, but now i'm thinking to buy new car tires at very discount prices because one of my friends told me that he used some tire buyer coupon code from retailmenot and couponpark and he saved many dollars. what do you think what i should do for cheaper tires?
    Last edited by Monster; February 7, 2013, 07:31 AM. Reason: Removed SPAM content

Well I've never purchased used tires but if you plan to keep this car for a few more years then I think new would be the way to go. I always look for tires on sell and have found some good prices on the internet. Try Tire Rack and Discount Tire.
    Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
    The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

Tires would be one area I wouldn't skimp on.
      Used......you get what you pay for.
      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

I have run lots of previously owned tires over the years. You just need to know what you are lookin at. Best deal on used tires is Craigslist. I like to get them and the wheels so its a bolt on and go. There are lots of used tire stores around here seems like the good ones are priced to high might as well buy new and the cheap ones have so little tread they are not worth mounting.
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
        ​​​​​​

Comment

As a father of four and one in collage,I've bought used tires. Half the time it doesn't save any money at all in the long run, just gets me out of the pinch at the time. If you have the cash,get new.
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Also keep in mind when purchasing used tires that many tire shops will no longer work on tires over six years old!!!

It's something new that as to do with insurance and liability problems if something happens to the tire and you are involved in an accident. The date the tires were made is on each tire and they are looking at that before doing anything else.

I found out about this because I belong to a car club and most of the guys only use their cars maybe once a week and the rest of the time they sit in a garage.

It's very common to see cars like this have tires that are much older then six years and the major tire shops refused to touch the tires.

They told my friend that because of new regulations they could not help him.

Maybe you might have a friend who could do it for you.

Jimbo

Comment

Spam, i smell spam...spam spam spam!
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Ditto.
                Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Used tires are a hot commodity, the yard sells them for $20-$25 a pop.
                  My daily driver S-10 has tires off a 94 Taurus, they work great.
                  Best used tire advice, give them a once over checking for dry rot, bulges etc.
                  You can get nice used tires if you look hard enough..

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                    Spam, i smell spam...spam spam spam!
                    That was my first though but I thought I would give the guy the benefit of the doubt but there is no way in the world I am clicking his link. Besides nothing like a good discussion on Tires!

I got 4 new off brand tires for the ranger b/c I could not find a good set of used tires. Cost $320 so far I am very happy. I put 2 new cheap tires on the front of my Saturn, the only thing good I can say about them is they are black, not so sure about the round part! I have "used tires" on my Dodge 2012 take offs wheels and tires with 300 miles for $800, sold the aftermarket wheels and may pops for $400, new used tires for $400 and a little time and fuel money, hard to beat for load rated tires. The goodyear tires on my 89 LX when I went 140 mph at Maxton where "used tires" paid $150 for a set of like new tires and 10 hole wheels, Guy just wanted 17s!
                    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                      I thought I would give the guy the benefit of the doubt but there is no way in the world I am clicking his link. Besides nothing like a good discussion on Tires!

I removed the links, but question for discussion remains.

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierL98GTA View Post
                        As a father of four and one in collage,I've bought used tires. Half the time it doesn't save any money at all in the long run, just gets me out of the pinch at the time. If you have the cash,get new.
                        I've had several used tires turn out to be dangerously dry rotted and fail spectacularly. They can be something of a gamble.

Comment

Originally posted by kimsjoo View Post
                          Last edited by White Monster; February 7th, 2013 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Removed SPAM content
                          I would have thought you would just delete the whole post and ban the user.

The stupid question about tires for a pos was a decoy, you know
                          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I've been buying used tires from the local used tire shop for my Freestar. It just happens to be the same size used on Crown Vic police cars. They are take offs from state police cars. Once they get a flat they have to be replaced and not repaired. So I get very high quality speed rated police pursuit tires with lots of tread for $25 a pop plus $10 mount and balance. Makes a big difference in how the Freestar drives! I've had no problems. As others have said watch the age.
                            Tom
                            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I used to buy take offs for $45 a pop, mount and balanced .. Only thing negative was I had to do it often.. So I bought new, now the store will not honor warranty work as I supposedly overweight them and drive an old truck.. The truck drives fine once I replace the offending tire.. Got 2 more to replace and the 6 new ones will be off!

Comment

Working...
                              X