Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's it like driving with a Gear Vendors OD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's it like driving with a Gear Vendors OD?

I'm seriously considering a GV overdrive for my 55 chevy, in case you don't know it has a mild blown big block, and TH400, and I drive it everywhere as well as race occasionally.

I don't really know how a GV operates, as far as how automatic the shifting is, how downshifting works, whether Park still works, etc. I do understand it requires regular fluid changes, is there any other maintenance?
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

I have a GV in my wagon. I originally set it up in automatic mode which means that you don't do anything special. When the car gets to ~50mph it shifts into overdrive and when it slows down to ~25mph it shifts back out. To be clear IF you nail it and it spins the tires it will shift into overdrive when the trans is in 2nd (or even first depending on your setup) but that hasn't proven to be an issue for mine. I frequently will do burnsouts where it shifts in to OD in second and then when it is ready it shifts into 3rd (afterall - it is an automatic and I rarely shift it manually). They do require more frequent fluid changes than most folks do on their automatics. The older versions used GM gear lube but when I freshened mine a couple months ago I was instructed to use Dextron III/Mercon fluid instead. Now I do need to share with you my experience with doing it this way - I was told by GV that because I always drive the car in automatic mode that it shortens the life of the clutch and that is most likely why I needed to service it (replace the clutch) at ~30k. The service and support from GV is FIRST CLASS - they have always been very helpful to me. They even burned a custom chip for me that moved my shift points up 10mph (in at 60 out at 35). Another option I would encourage you to look into is a shorty. I don't know if it makes as big a difference on a TH400 but on a C6 it really reduces the overall length and makes the unit somewhat more compact.

Comment

might PM Slimbo5 and see if his is still up for sale, and why he pulled it? IIRC it is for a th400.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

My buddy uses one in his Camaro with a Muncie,works great, he gets on the highway shifts to 4th hits the button and in cruising rpm. He had trouble with the speed sensor on it ,I think it broke but that was it.

Comment

I would put it behind a shorty glide with a lower first gear in it.
          2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
          First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
          2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
          2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

I love my GV in my Nova. Installed it in 2009 before doing the power tour. And I have put about 45,000 miles on it with no issues what so ever. I have a 3:08 rear in the car and a 2500 stall so the only problem I have is getting the converter to lock in. I think my RPM at 75 mph is about 2300 rpms and 90 mph is around 3000 rpms. the car has a TH350 and a mini blower. The one nice thing is at the track I will shift 1-2 like normal and click in the GV unit in 2nd so I don't lose as many rpms going to 3rd and just cross the traps in 2nd overdrive. It's only a high 12 second car but it's a rocket ship on the highway. Getting 17 mpg driving 70-75mpg. I still haven't found the top end yet. My gps so far has a top speed showing 152 and I didn't want to get caught so I lifted but I think there's a little more. but I will find somewhere to try it one day. I will say it was the best $2600.00 i spent on the car. Next to A/C

Comment

I've thought about installing one in my 66 behind the Toploader instead of going with a T5, T56 or something else down the road.
              Tom
              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I have a customer that bought one and liked it but has taken the project in another direction

He wants like %80 of new for it
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the input. I have a line on a couple of them, I'm also thinking I might want one in my old one ton truck.
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

I also want a GV unit..
                    Behind the Muncie in my 57
                    OR
                    In the flatbed..or the crew cab dualie...

Have other places needing my $$ first..

Comment

Jim, I had one in the Studebaker, used it only as a 5th gear. I first had it behind a powerglide then behind a Jerico 4 speed. It worked great and held 821 RWHP.

Comment

Why not a 700r4?
                        www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlockMopar View Post
                          Why not a 700r4?
                          The most fun you cn have is split shifting a 700R4 with a GV overdrive...
                          Never did get to 7 and 8

Comment

hey...I started this thread....and now I have a Gear Vendors overdrive! I won the main unit on Drag Week, and got the installation kit today in the mail.

Although I'm thinking of putting it in my 57 Suburban now....we'll see what happens.

Anyways, I'll let you all know how it works out.
                            My fabulous web page

Comment

Cool deal! Pays for Drag Week, right?

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X