"Patina" or "Paint that sh*t"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Patina" or "Paint that sh*t"

can somebody shoot me? Please god, no more patina. Please paint it. Rust sucks.

*if your junk has paint, but the paint aint great, but it's not just an open rust sore, I'm okay. I'm talking tetinus "patina"...
    Last edited by Beagle; February 7, 2013, 07:03 PM.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Sorry , don't agree so much

Body work / prep / paint / re-do trim ..etc ... is X-pensive , Body shop prison can easy last (???) < ??

Paint that shines is AWESOME but, it brings along with it another huge set of issues (set backs)

I am cool with a project done well, nice fab work and lousy paint ..and or "patina"

real or fake, its art (IMHO)

sigpic

Comment

the sun cycle defends paint..regardless of cool factor, they will get bothered by the storms.

if I can keep a tin can painted, the old 16 gauge should be beautiful easily. I agree about paint.

at least fake with a clear coat over the patina look...dual purpose. old look, new paint.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Paint this ..?? Ahhhh, no ..

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BigDad View Post

That's a good lookin 55
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Lots of my junk, back in the day, all had bad paint jobs.

Today I can afford a good paint job......so I paint 'em.
            Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

after last months hot rod (i got the new one today) there were 3 cars featured in bare metal, so dont worry, that'll be the new trend and we wont have to see anymore flat black or pantina'd rides
              Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

I drove around in rattle can painted cars until 2002, didnt bother fixing rust until 2006. Now the rage is no paint and junk like I drove for a couple decades. The way I see it is HRM and the rest are behind me, so that means I am leading the pack.

Why not low buck DIY paint that isnt flat black instead of patina?

Comment

Do what you like. Photograph what you enjoy. There is plenty of ideas and tastes in this hobby that everyone can get a little visual dessert. Isn't this country great?
                  Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Remember the worse the paint job, that faster it is.....

Comment

If leaving the "patina" is the difference between getting a car on the road and it just sitting, waiting, then by all means drive it with patina. If a car is built with what seems like an unlimited budget but the bad paint/patina is left just because it is the "in" thing right now, then I'm not such a fan.

Comment

Originally posted by ImpalaSam View Post
                        If leaving the "patina" is the difference between getting a car on the road and it just sitting, waiting, then by all means drive it with patina. If a car is built with what seems like an unlimited budget but the bad paint/patina is left just because it is the "in" thing right now, then I'm not such a fan.
                        this might be the case for my henry j...its gonna be close getting it ready for drag week..

Comment

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR View Post
                          after last months hot rod (i got the new one today) there were 3 cars featured in bare metal, so dont worry, that'll be the new trend and we wont have to see anymore flat black or pantina'd rides
                          bare metal has been pretty popular in the pre65 hot rod /custom scene for years,,hot rod mag just started posting pics of them...

Comment

I think the difference here is a nice, eye pleasing patina and a rusted hulk of shit...

I for one would rather look at a car that has nice paint, or worn original paint. Trucks that are rough but well built are cool....but stuff that looks like it was pulled from the bottom of a swamp after 30 years and patched together with street signs, bubblegum, chicken wire and bondo with a side of nice new big inch rims do nothing...NOTHING for me...
                            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I've said this before on here so I'll say it again.

"Back in the day" (I was there) NOBODY wanted a rusty or primered car. If you saw someone driving one they would apologize and explain that they were saving money for paint. No, NOT a paint job - paint. We all chipped in and helped each other sand and paint our cars.

This gets me to another pet peeve. Why does every hot rod have to have Riddler quality paint? If your going to drive the car, a decent paint job is plenty good enough. If you can't do anything else do MAACO. A 5 or 10 footer is actually best for a driver as it'll get chips, parking lot dents, and the like. I strive for OEM quality and I think that's plenty good enough.

So - NO on the patina for me. Should this be a poll?

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X