No announcement yet.

"Patina" or "Paint that sh*t"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a fan of rusty cars, but faded paint is A-ok. (this would be obvious to anyone who has seen my car. lol)
    Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
    1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
    1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
    1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
    1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
    1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Gaping rust holes = fix that crap.

A little rough around the edges and a driver = kudos for actually driving the thing.

Weathered by Nature naturally over a period of 30-40 years and managed to avoid anyone mucking up what took so long to do?

Perfection. Love it.

Most of my junk falls into the "embarassing but fun to drive" group. This one is beautiful. Originally Coral Red, good complete recolor probably in the late 60's to a nice shade of baby blue, then weathered partially back to some red in the next 50 years.

I like how you can see the passes from the paint gun during the repaint.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by STINEY; February 8, 2013, 07:44 AM.
      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I'm pretty much with Stiney on this one. The whole "survivor" idea appeals to me. The car is only original once, and there is nothing wrong with it showing its age. I like trucks and cars where you can see that the occupants liked to hang their arm on the window opening, I like seeing the evidence of use. But I like that cleaned and waxed and well kept.

Now, I'm not saying that a raging rust sore should stay a raging rust sore. There is a time to admit that time and the elements have gotten the better of the vehicle, and arrange for a repaint.

Anyone that fakes patina should be ran out of the hobby.
        I'm still learning

Comment

Thanks Dan for explaining why I painted my one ton truck with a paintbrush....it looks OK (except from up close), and it is DONE.
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Of all the great advice I've gotten here over the years, one quote stands out above them all and speaks to my inner perfectionist - profoundly....

"DON'T LET PERFECT GET IN THE WAY OF DONE"

To each their own.
            Don't expect riddler quality from a $20 paint gun, $60 a gallon paint, and your driveway.
            Don't expect a guy to paint your car for $4000, and have it look like the $15,000+ autorama stuff.
            If you did it yourself, learned a lot, saved a ton of money in the process, and it looks good driving by - you win!

I've always thought the most important part of a car from the body work perspective is the hood and tops of the fenders - that's all you can see from the driver seat.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
              I've always thought the most important part of a car from the body work perspective is the hood and tops of the fenders - that's all you can see from the driver seat.
              My friend who painted a few of our cars before moving away 20 years ago said that he spent the most time on the hood, because that's what the customer sees the most. And he never worried about trying to get both sides of the car exactly the same when doing bodywork, because you only see one side at a time.

Things to beware of when you're getting paint work done by a pro
              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I personally love that Chevy trucks look! To me there's a story about how long it sat unattended to achieve that look. Then someone went through the effort to make it road worthy and produce those badass wheels with the original hub caps and bolt on new chrome. I jus think I can appreciate any hot rod someone puts the effort into that looks cool to me...paint or no paint.

Comment

not a fan.... it's been done, I'm ready for whatever is next
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Shiny paint shows off dents. I like some cars that have real patina. Any body with enough money can have shiny. Finding true patina can be difficult. I am on the fence if I am going to keep the capri, let alone try to make it pretty. If I had a $1000 air compressor in stead of a $100 air compressor, I think I would be more excited about doing paint and body (need to go work on the 98!) Ramble over everybody likes pictures!

Last edited by Russell; February 9, 2013, 06:25 AM.
                    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

Rust is like wrinkles...prevent that sh*t. I don't mind faded paint, but rust just looks bad and I don't care if there's a "it sat in a field for 60 years but I lovingly rescued it and left it as is" story. Patina, fine, you caught it before it rusted out, but don't leave it unprotected any more. At least invest in a good clear coat; I'm sure they make a matte kind if you don't want it shiny. As for any vehicle I will ever own, they're getting painted...I've already got the paint picked out for the Chevelle I don't have yet. The jury is still out on what happens to the Mustang's paint. I will say, I do like the bare metal look...the *good* kind that's intentional and staying that way.
                      Who needs sugar and spice and everything nice? I'm a Southern girl - give me cars, guns and whiskey on ice. ~Mrs. Remy-Z

Comment

If a car or truck (of mine) isn't painted, it's because either it doesn't need it or I'm working toward getting it done. To see a survivor is one thing, but down here in FL where it rains a lot, patina turns into cancer before you know it.

Y'all remember the beater truck I bought for $1000 about a year and a half ago, that I took to Maaco last July? I wanted it to look presentable, but kept in mind that it's a daily driver AND my work truck. It needed to look presentable... so I spent $831 for a few upgrades and came away with a really nice paint job, for the money.

What happened this past Wednesday? You guessed it. There's even a minor dent to go with the chipped paint. I was angry for about 5 seconds, then I was over it (because remaining angry is a waste of energy and emotion)...

Comment

^^^ That's why I put an $800 paint job on the Crown Vic. Because I knew some clod would run into it soon, and sure enough, 2 months later they scraped the left rear bumper.
                          Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

i think that the patina thing can be cool, but it's getting overdone... every one of our vehicles is a driver and needs work...but I will not condone efforts made to make it look worse... survivors are one thing...so called faux patina is quite another... not even in the same class...
                            Patrick & Tammy
                            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Working...
                            X