Computer speed question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer speed question

I have A T & T U-verse here, and a laptop for daily use. The laptop is a hand me down used one from a friend. I don't need all the other bulky pieces for what I do. Is there anything I can do to increase speed? A different laptop that's not a hand me down? Elaborate. Thank you
    STUGOTS

Could you elaborate on what your laptop is? It should have a model number on the bottom of it somewhere, although it probably has about ten or twenty other numbers that you might confuse with the model number.

Without knowing what you have, we'd just be guessing.

Kind of like when someone says they know about an "old car" for sale, but can't tell you what century it's from
    Last edited by squirrel; February 13, 2013, 07:44 AM.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
      Could you elaborate on what your laptop is? It should have a model number on the bottom of it somewhere, although it probably has about ten or twenty other numbers that you might confuse with the model number.

Without knowing what you have, we'd just be guessing.

Kind of like when someone says they know about an "old car" for sale, but can't tell you what century it's from
      The current one is a Sony PCG-FRV26
      STUGOTS

Comment

For those interested....it's a ten year old Sony vaio notebook, P4 at 2.8 GHz, half to one gig RAM, running XP.

Groucho, for around $500 you can get a new laptop that will work noticably faster, but it will also have a newer operating system so you'd have to relearn some stuff.

It could be that there is extra software running on the computer that you don't need on there that could be removed or disabled, and there might be some other tricks you could use to speed it up. But it would take a local geek to do that.

So....you have a choice, spend money and learn new stuff and have a better computer, or keep what you have and live with it.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

For those interested....it's a ten year old Sony vaio notebook, P4 at 2.8 GHz, half to one gig RAM, running XP.

Groucho, for around $500 you can get a new laptop that will work noticably faster, but it will also have a newer operating system so you'd have to relearn some stuff.

It could be that there is extra software running on the computer that you don't need on there that could be removed or disabled, and there might be some other tricks you could use to speed it up. But it would take a local geek to do that.

So....you have a choice, spend money and learn new stuff and have a better computer, or keep what you have and live with it.
          what's your recommendation? $500's no prob
          STUGOTS

Comment

Groucho, an example to what squirrel is saying I bought a refurbished Asus 15.6" screen laptop for $399 on tigerdirect. It looked brand new,absolutely no signs of being used. I forget the specs but it has plenty of power for my needs. I use it mostly for surfing, ipod and pictures an a few random documents.
            Tom
            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Probaly the easiest way to increase processor speed is to up the voltage. simply get a 220 volt plug of the same design as your dryer outlet and splice the three wires ( hot neutral and ground) they are usually black, white, and green - to your exsisting IBM style power cord end that plugs into your pc. Plug this into your dryer outlet. You should probably hold a paper towel under the laptop when you do this, so the solder running out from inside the machine doesn't make a mess of your carpeting. solidified solder is very hard to remove from carpeting. also be sure to capture any escaping smoke in a jar. this is magic smoke and is required to be re-installed into the specific machine it came from.

you could buy a better laptop though. that might be safer.

Last edited by oldsman496; February 13, 2013, 08:39 AM.
              Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by oldsman496 View Post
                Probaly the easiest way to increase processor speed is to up the voltage. simply get a 220 volt plug of the same design as your dryer outlet and splice the three wires ( hot neutral and ground) they are usually black, white, and green - to your exsisting IBM style power cord end that plugs into your pc. Plug this into your dryer outlet. You should probably hold a paper towel under the laptop when you do this, so the solder running out from inside the machine doesn't make a mess of your carpeting. solidified solder is very hard to remove from carpeting. also be sure to capture any escaping smoke in a jar. this is magic smoke and is required to be re-installed into the specific machine it came from.

you could buy a better laptop though. that might be safer.

lol
                STUGOTS

Comment

In on one!
                  It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

FWIW, I got this from my local geek, who supposedly "cleaned" it (I suppose that's what you meant?) before giving it to me
                    Last edited by groucho; February 13, 2013, 09:06 AM.
                    STUGOTS

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post
                      Groucho, an example to what squirrel is saying I bought a refurbished Asus 15.6" screen laptop for $399 on tigerdirect. It looked brand new,absolutely no signs of being used. I forget the specs but it has plenty of power for my needs. I use it mostly for surfing, ipod and pictures an a few random documents.

Tom, did it come wifi ready? I see 6 models currently at TigerDirect that match your description....

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...+screen+laptop

My wife mentioned a laptop the other day, and valentines is coming fast.
                      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                        Tom, did it come wifi ready? I see 6 models currently at TigerDirect that match your description....

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...+screen+laptop

My wife mentioned a laptop the other day, and valentines is coming fast.
                        How much more for a new one? I'd rather not pay for someone else's problems. The 2 I have now were free. So, if they break, I don't mind
                        STUGOTS

Comment

Originally posted by groucho View Post
                          FWIW, I got this from my local geek, who supposedly "cleaned" it (I suppose that's what you meant?) before giving it to me
                          They are never clean if you have the right software.......

Comment

I had a 2.8..1mb l2 cache on a server board.
                            for that generation, nothing less than 3.4 and 1mb cache on 800mhz bus..and ecc 72 bit ram.
                            all else is ready for recycle.

a 2ghz with multi cores is blowing that stuff away on longer lasting battery.

given to you is a good deal however. A serial port for car gadgets.
                            I am finding that is a routine for 13 years now. go for the biggest of any chipset. its more money but it ends up hanging on a long time.
                            Previously boxer3main
                            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Clearing out the cache and cookies could speed things up. These accumilate from surfing the net. The more build up causes the computer to slow down.

Also, the programs running in the background will slow down the older computers. They are shown on the botton right of the screen by the clock. You can right click on them and turn them off on by one.
                              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X